Goals

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frodocious, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

So it’s nearing the end of the year and I was wondering what everyone’s goals for the future are? These can be short term ones that you hope to accomplish by the end of the year, or things you are aiming for next year. Mine are as follows (I’ve included both weights and bodyweight exercise goals) and most are long term goals:

Static ring holds 1x 60 sec straight arm holds (currently working sets of 20 seconds)

Deadlift: Short term 1.5x bodyweight (hopefully in the next 2-4 weeks), long term 100kg, then 2x bodyweight (currently lifting 70kg)

Full pistols (currently working partial pistols)

L-sit 1x60 secs (currently working low l-sits 3x20secs)

Dragonflags (currently working partials)

Squats: anything over and above bodyweight! I suck at squats and am only doing 40kg at the moment

Full glute hams (currently doing bands assisted ones)

Full standing ab wheel rollout (currently doing partials).

Full hanging leg lift (currently doing weighted partial hang to L)

Tuck planche, currently working advanced frog stand.

I’ve left out benching and overhead presses as I’m not really doing them at the moment due to a shoulder injury

Snatch: bodyweight plus would be nice currently working 30kg)

Clean and jerk: like the snatch anything over bodyweight would be nice. I currently power clean 45kg and clean and jerk 40kg

I’ve only recently started the Olympic lifts, so probably have a lot of improvement to be made with them next year.

I've left out assistant exercises like shrugs, some of the ab work I do and some other gymnastic stuff that I can't do at the moment because of my shoulder.

So what do you want to achieve with your strength training in the next year or so?

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well for me it would be regaining all the strength I've lost this year. I shattered my right clavicle and it never healed. So I've lost about 45 pounds, mostly muscle, and look like a twig now. So I want to get my endurance and strength back before I turn into a noodle.

On a personal note, I think a goal for all of us guys here at MAP is to FINALLY get those bikini shots of you posted somewhere!

3. Frodocious

Injuries suck, don't they! Good luck in getting your fitness back!

I would post them but I have to think about Mitch's heart condition and my responsibility to keep him healthy.

4. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Sounds awful with your injury. Nothing worse than getting injured when you're somone who likes to keep fit.

My for before the end of the year is to keep my body weight at 80kg.
    Get my squat to 3x5 140kg
    Get my deadlift to 3x5 145kg (that's going to be tough, but if I focus on improving my technique it's do-able).
    Get my bench press to 100kg 3x5. This is going to be incredibly hard to get to. I'll try though.

After December. I want to spend Jan and most of Feb just maintaining my strength and working my cardio hard. Get down to 77kg, get leaner. Then by mid Feb I should be ready to fight. I want to try and get in 10 fights next year.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

But, but, what about your responsibility to mankind in general? You know, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few? Unless theres some legal obligation or restraining order or somethin'.

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

That's a lot of goals Frodo! Can I ask, are you working on them all simultaneously, or are you picking one at a time and going all out to get it?

Mine:

I started training towards a 200kg deadlift a couple of months ago. I'm hoping to get it before the end of the year. The good thing about this is it's kinda 50/50 as to whether I'll get it or not.

I've always wanted a 150kg bench. Currently 130kg and has been for over a year now. I might get that one next year some time. If I do (and it's a big if) it'll be near the end of next year.

Also, I'm doing a pullup challenge for another forum. At some point next year I'd like to be able to do 30 consecutive pullups with reasonable form. This won't mix well with my long-term weight gain plan, however!

7. Frodocious

Yes it is a lot of goals, but I split the work between a number of workouts and find many of the exercises complement each other. e.g. I only started working the ab wheel again this week after a long break and last time I tried it, the kneeling rollouts really killed my back but this time (probably due to working things like heavy deadlifts, glute hams and even l-sits) I found that I sailed through them, so tried the standing ones instead. I also split the more difficult exercises between sessions, so on a squat day I do band assisted glute hams rather than deadlifts and on deadlift day I do partial pistols rather than heavy squats.

I also cycle the ab/core work, only doing L-sit progressions and one other exercise per session. I find by mixing and matching exercises I've been making better progress (and better recovery) than when I was doing a more traditional set up like the full 'Starting Strength' routine.

8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

great thread!
    Mine would be:
    180kg deadlift this year.
    200kg deadlift next year.
    get reps at 100kg bench

Get back into the heavyweight devision.
    Improve cardio. (i think these two make each other very difficult)

Acctually growing some deltoids would be nice.
    20 consecutive dips

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

My new years resolution is 1080. Simples!

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

In all seriousnness it's getting my shoulder sorted, get back in the gym and get big for summer to show off all my new artwork adorning my big, buff body :)
    Nothing really specific though

11. Frodocious

It's my obligation not to give heart attacks to the entire male population!

Actually, another side goal (not directly strength training) is to try to get my body fat % down. I'm definitely carrying too much weight at the moment - once I've done this, I might consider the bikini shots. At the moment, the closest you'll get from me to the aquatic wear posing is in a drysuit!

Shoulder injuries are crap aren't they! I'm currently waiting on the NHS to sort out some physio on mine. It would be nice to at least know what I've done to it!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It'll be "something." Whenever I have an injury I always end up saying, "I've done something to it," like my shoulder at the moment. 6 months and counting since I did something to that :(

Mitch

13. Frodocious

You really are so helpful! So my medical diagnosis is 'I've done something to my shoulder'?! ;) :)

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Exactly. Years of medical training? Pah!

Now you either need to rest it till it gets better or work it till it gets better. I'm a flippin' genius me :D

Mitch

15. Frodocious

That you are! :)

16. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I need to sit down and think about some sensible attainable goals. I guess the obvious one for lifting is bodyweight for deadlift and squat. The first I could probably do today, the second would be a challenge. I tried some clean and jerks last night and they were a real aerobic workout. Maybe I'm not doing them efficiently.

17. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Hmmm...

One arm pulls and chins
    One arm pushups
    Planche pushups
    Running a half marathon
    Hitting the rock climbing wall
    and the ridiculous one: inverted muscleups.

2011 should be interesting.

paz,

dormindo

18. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Dormindo - if you ever get the one-armed chins, we'll be insisting on a video. :)

19. Frodocious

Do you have a qualified olympic lifting coach for clean and jerks? Because if not I wouldn't really recommend them for a beginner lifter.

20. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

My list wont be nearly as extensive as yours Frodo though from reading it I have to ask, can I clone you?

For me the list is a little less specific in some regards, here goes:

Get my bench back to 455 (currently residing at a paultry 315)

Arms back to 19.5 inches PURELY for vanity's sake - no functional reasoning what so ever, lol

Bring my waste back down

Work on my splits/flexibility so that I can throw a face high side kick, again, purely for the sake of vanity. I'd never actually kick anyone to the face when my hands are so much closer...

be able to run at LEAST a mile again. This one is the hard one because of my achilles and will be largely dependent on how cooperative it is.

Knock out double digit pullups again.

Basically my whole focus is to reclaim what was lost during my post-achilles depression and subsequent total shut down.