Go-Kan-Ryu

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Upgraded, Nov 2, 2007.

1. intoximoto

intoximoto New Member

You want the truth? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

2. Murphey

Murphey New Member

OK. I have read a few of your posts. Not a GKR bash, ey????

GKR is different in the four countries the club is apart of. In Australia - I enjoy it and many people here do too.

Why I say GKR would be a better club if it had strictly shotokan or Goju - I meant that GKR would be a better club if it wasn't multistyled. I had this discussion with a famous karate master so I do know what I am talking about in this respect!

So, the problem you have with GKR is not with the students, but the instructors? Go have a talk with Bob Sullivan about it then!

Murphey

3. intoximoto

intoximoto New Member

Join a real style Murphy... LMAO. Sports karate taught by people not even qualified, who wear the dreaded black belt with a white tip. You make me laugh!

4. Murphey

Murphey New Member

I make you laugh, ey??? Thanks, matey! Look, say what you want about the club.

ONE DAY YOU CAN START UP YOUR OWN CLUB, MAKE YOUR OWN RULES AND BITCH ABOUT BOB SULLIVAN AS MUCH AS YOU WANT......UNTIL YOU DO IT - STOP BITCHING!

5. intoximoto

intoximoto New Member

Isn't that basically what your friend Bob Sullivan the founder of GKR did? ROFL!!! hAHAHAHAHA

6. Murphey

Murphey New Member

Yes, he did. But the only difference is he does a better job running a club than you ever would matey.

7. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

I have a feeling this thread is going to get L0<kZ0RRrrrd!!!!!

8. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

May I ask that you keep the thread civil. I may not be a moderator, but it looks like you may both end up with a ban for a few days if you both carry on.

Now please, stop acting like children and grow up. This is a family forum. Seeing 2 adults back bite each other is not good for your reputations on this forum. So it is better if you stop now.

9. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Correct me if I'm wrong - If GKR were not GKR, it would be taught better.

yes?

Am I the only one to see the itsy witsy flaw?

Also, why do you care so much about what it said on an internet forum? Plenty of bad stuff has been said about Shotokan, but do I care? No. Oh, excuse me, must go pop my kneecap back in ;)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  10. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Couldn't have said it better myself. Intoximoto, Murphey stop mud slinging. Debate in an adult manner or not at all.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  11. Murphey

Murphey New Member

Alright, I will keep it civil from now on. :)

12. Chapstick

Chapstick New Member

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I have just had a look around I like all the different articles etc.

I am a member or GKR and don't worry - we are not all like Murphey! :) I enjoy my training and as much as I know GKR isn't the "real deal" in terms of karate, it has given me fitness and some karate knowledge. I am not the average GKR student - I look for alternate karate sessions like seminars etc so to expand my mind and my karate knowledge and technique.

Chapstick :D

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Welcome to MAP! Good to have you here!

14. Chapstick

Chapstick New Member

Thanks very much :D

15. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Just out of interest, do the people at GKR object to you doing other seminars?

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I've heard that instructors are forbidden from attending martial arts classes not run by GKR.

17. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

That's why I was asking. I suppose you could keep it a secret, but you'd be likely to get found out if they snoop, like I suspect they might.
    If the teaching is really done from a strict sheet, people higher up might get suspicious if what they saw was different.

18. Chapstick

Chapstick New Member

I have heard that the instructors are not allowed to train in any other club/style/dojo 6 months after they quit/resign/get sacked. It is on the contract they sign. Anyone thinks this is a little bit controlling?? No offence to GKR, but this rule is stupid.

Students can train anywhere they want as they don't sign a contract to stay in GKR. I like looking for seminars outside of GKR because you always learn something new.

Hope that answers some questions.

Chappy :D

Dr Moose - I would be happy to have a chat in the chat room seeing as we are both online.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  19. ashyworth

ashyworth New Member

Hmmm...My mate (GKR sensei..) also trains in tae kwon do...

In my opinion...GKR is a business.. but for me I still get good training out of it...whilst there are poor areas where the inrtuctors don't really have the knowledge or skill to teach but there are a good few that do.

20. shotokantiger9

shotokantiger9 New Member

I trained in GKR for around a year. I left for the following reasons:

- Small children, no older than six, were advancing up the belt levels with extreme ease, when they obviously had next to no understanding or skill.

- When the time came for my own grading, no challenge was posed whatsoever.

- The sensei would ruthlessly persuade every member of the class to attend meaningless 'conventions' which costed a fortune to attend.

- Without challenge or motivation, I quickly found the classes extremely boring and unrewarding.