GM Roland Dantes has died

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pat OMalley, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

It breaks my heart to give you this news but I have just received a text message from Master David Foggie which reads:

"With a heavy heart it saddens me to inform you GM ROLAND DANTES passed away today March 16 2009 at 1:52am (Philippine time) in PHIL HEART CENTER."

Myself and my family held GM Roland dear to our hearts and it is a very sad day that we will always remember, he is a true legend of the Filipino Martial Arts, in icon to the Philippine nation and he will be greatly missed.

My 8 year old son Rees has asked that he pass this massage on with a tear in his eye as he remembers GM Roland as the nice man who always hugged him "I am sure he is in a happy place now".

The prayers and thoughts of myself and family go out to GM Roland, his family, freinds and everyone who had the unique oppertunity to be touched by his kindness and generosity.

May his memory live forever and may he rest in peace.

With deepest sympathy

The O'Malley Family

2. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Roland Dantes

A loss to the Eskrima world.

Our best wishes go to his family at this sad time.

Bill Lowery

The Laban Baston Eskrima Club, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

3. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

This is indeed extremely sad news. I had the great pleasure and honour of meeting GM Roland very briefly during 2003 and he was truly a gentleman and a legend of the FMA world.

Our thoughts and prayers are extended to family, friends, students and associates of GM Roland Dantes.

Maraming salamat po sa inyo GM Roland. R.I.P.

With deepest sympathy

Bakbakan UK Chapter

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Terrible news. My condolences go out to his family and friends. GM Dantes was the first real arnis action hero I came across in the cinema. He'll be dearly missed.

5. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

My sentiments as well. Best wishes to his friends & family.

6. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I first me GM Dantes in person in 1998 (although we had been communicating for some time) when he came to Cebu to meet me and stayed in the down town hotel with us during our stay. It was not until 2005 that we would meet again although we had kept contact. It was then that he pioneered the Philippine Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Masters to which I am a proud member, this council was set up to help to unify the FMA regardless of style, group or affiliation.

The PCKEAM then spurred on the formation of the British Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors which now boasts over 21 styles that have come together to help unify the FMA in the UK, this in turn has spurred on the opening of 8 other councils around the world all with the same aims and objectives.

GM Dantes had over the years become a very close freind of my family and my children loved the time they spent with him, hugging him and playing with him.

I last met GM Dantes in Melbourne last August when he invited me to conduct a seminar for him with his group and others, he spent many days with me including celebrating my birthday, I was always amazed at how kind and generous he was, at how he was always willing to go out of his way to help promote other FMA groups, even when he was seriously ill, he even turned up at the 2006 meeting of the PCKEAM and the World Kali Sports event when he was only released from hospital a few days earlier having suffered a sever heart condition. Much as we tried to convince him to go home and rest, he insited in staying there for the whole event. Such was his nature to promote the FMA where ever he could.

He has left us a legacy which he has started, a legacy to unite the FMA where ever and when ever we can, I for one will not let him down and will carry on his mission along with many others.

GM Dantes was the true ambassador to the whole of the FMA and this is a great loss for the FMA world wide and a great loss of a dear freind to my family.

His memory will live on and his legacy will continue to grow until we can acheive his dream.

Long live the memory of GM Roland Dantes and may he rest in peace knowing that we will keep his great work alive.

With deepest respects and sympathy

The O'Malley Clan, members of the British Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors and the Philippine Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Masters.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  7. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Very sad news. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. May he be with God and rest in peace. (Thanks, Pat, for having informed us.)

8. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Our condoleces to his family and friends...his memory will still lives on forever.