GM Cano Canete and Latigo and "Just Curious" [merged thread]

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by LabanB, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

GM Cano Canete and Latigo

OK, hopefully this won't breach the advertising rules!

Having recently returned from three glorious weeks in the PI training with Master Val Pableo, GM Albert Sales and GM Andres "Cano" Canete, I am very proud and honoured to announce that I have been made European Representative for the Latigo sub-system of The Original Momoy Canete San Miguel Eskrima System by GM Andres T. "Cano" Canete, only son of the founder and sole inheritor of the Original Momoy Canete San Miguel Eskrima System.

My remit includes the following:

Create San Miguel Latigo Logo
    Update the Original Logo for the complete San Miguel System
    Create websites for both the European Latigo Organisation and for GM Cano Canete in the PI
    Create Grading syllabus and certificates
    Develop seminars/workshops across Europe and America to promote the San Miguel Latigo
    Create Seminar/Workshop certificates
    Create a book on basic Filipino Bullwhip techniques (we'll start with a booklet and see how it goes!!)

GM Cano has grown tired of people going to train with him in the San Miguel System in the PI, and then going back to their own countries and claim they have more knowledge and authority than they in fact do. To reduce this I have been asked to control the teaching of the art of Latigo in Europe and America by becoming one of only two authorised instructors in the West (the second being my student Gareth Rodgers). I'll be putting the letter of authority on my own website (labanbaston.cjb.net) by the weekend.

I hope to have the authorised Logo, websites, Grading Syllabus and workshop/seminar plans in place by the start of 2008. Its a big job and will take time to build. GM Cano wants to see this element of his Fathers system flourish and hopes that by creating an organisation which promotes this element his fathers legacy will continue and that more people will come to appreciate the effort needed to control the Latigo with the benefits of improved body mechanics, timing, strength and accuracy that the training promotes.

Thank You,

Bill Lowery
    5th Degree Black Belt Guba Doce Pares
    1st Degree Black Belt SMEC: Latigo
    European Representative for the SMEC: Latigo

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Personally I don't regard this as advertising. No specific product or service was foisted off on people. So the only other thing to say is "congratulations."

Stuart

3. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Cheers

Thanks for that, I did read the thread on advertising and was sure about the promotional aspect of my item.

Bill

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I appreciate that Bill. Cheers!

5. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Edit!

And of course that should have read "wasn't sure"!!!!

Bill

6. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

Having just started training with the latigo, I am looking forward to learning more about how to use this weapon. The booklet and the possibliity of seminars here in the United States sounds very promising.

Following are some clips of the SME latigo currently available on YouTube:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCz_JlFiU0"]Filmocan, San Miguel Eskrima, LATIGO - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbdkHXkLpwo"]YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exViD1lLpq8...related&search=[/ame]

See also this clip about Abner Pasa (at 02:07:00):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81xAaa4dCc4"]YouTube[/ame]

A couple more with the leather bullwhip:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfPm8BL3M-o&NR=1"]San Miguel Eskrima Bull Whip - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdTrKcaS9es"]San Miguel Eskrima - Wear Eye Protection - YouTube[/ame]

Best,

Steve

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  7. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

Congratulations, that explains the text I got from you. Sorry I didn't have time to reply.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  8. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Cheers

Hi Steve, Alec,

Thanks for that.

Steve, we are hoping to have the full organisational structure for Europe and America in place by the beginning of next year, then all we need are Country (Europe) and State (America) Representatives to start spreading Momoy Canetes Latigo. I have already organised the Grading Syllabus upto 5th Degree Black Belt (Master level), after that grades will be Honorary.

As for workshops/seminars? Hello, myself and my student (Gareth Roberts) are both Graded to 1st Degree Black Belt by GM Cano and are available to teach the system.

Costs for memberships and Representative memberships will be arranged asap. I have been given sole importation rights in Europe and the Americas for both the Native Rope and Leather Latigo as produced by GM Cano. I won't go any further with that as I realise it WOULD be an advert (;-) ) and also leave it to any iterested persons who choose to, to contact me (thereby avoiding invitations to outside contact :) ).

Cheers

Bill

9. strunk76

strunk76 New Member

Re: GM Kano Cañete Latigo

Bill,

Congrats on your three weeks of training, and big plans for representation of San Miguel Latigo. Which aspects are you planning to propagate in the system? In addition to the whip, that sounds like a lot of material to systemize. Your associations next to your name are confusing to me, because you are graded in SMEC, but you're belted under Nong Kano. Isn't San Miguel Eskrima Council carried by Nong Edring Casio on Mactan? About the West, there exists one master (if not two) who teaches the complete San Miguel method with many years of authentic research and experience with Noy Momoy, Nong Banoy, Nong Ben, Nong Kano, and Nong Naro. I would like to see how the curriculum of SM Latigo and other established SME curriculums compare and contrast. Again, congrats on your three weeks training - Nong Kano is a pretty cool guy to train with.

10. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Hi Strunk76

>Which aspects are you planning to propagate in the system? In addition to the whip, that sounds like a lot of material to systemize<

Not for me! GM Cano (not Kano - his name comes from his youth when he was light skinned and was thought to look "Ameri-Cano!", and he puts his name on every whip handle "Cano Canete") has asked and authorised me to teach and develop the Latigo system not the whole of San Miguel system. A small neglected part, which is why he wants it promoted.

<Isn't San Miguel Eskrima Council carried by Nong Edring Casio on Mactan? <

Met him when I was out there, lovely man, and I got the definate feeling of danger - I've not doubt he could still be a very real handful in a fight. I'll check with GM Cano, but he told me to put SMEC on the info and belts etc, so again I'll check with him.

<About the West, there exists one master (if not two) who teaches the complete San Miguel method with many years of authentic research and experience with Noy Momoy, Nong Banoy, Nong Ben, Nong Kano, and Nong Naro.>

No question there. I have been authorised by the only son of the founder and sole inheritor of the complete San Miguel Eskrima System to promote the Latigo element. He said he wanted to organise the system he has inherited with a grading syllabus, but has only asked me to develop a grading syllabus for the Latigo. Master Val Pableo repeated stated that the San Miguel system as left to GM Cano doesn't have a syllabus, but many people had trained with GM Cano, went back to their own countries and "produced" a syllabus which they then used to promote themselves without any attempt to continue their training with GM Cano.

As I said earlier "GM Cano has grown tired of people going to train with him in the San Miguel System in the PI, and then going back to their own countries and claim they have more knowledge and authority than they in fact do." Anyone who has trained with GM Momoy (and my main instructor GM Danny Guba trained with the GM) has every right to teach what they have learned and been aurthorised to - my remit is to promote The Original Momoy Canete San Miguel Eskrima System: Latigo sub-section, not the whole of the San Miguel system, although I intend to train in the system with GM Cano whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Cheers

Bill Lowery

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  11. dhay

dhay Valued Member

Congrats on your 3 weeks of training and on your new black belt! :)

Luv
    dhay

:Angel:

12. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Hi

Hi Dhay,

Thanks, I think...;-) I see you're with GM Danny now. He is very pleased to see one of his instructors getting more recognition after the number of people have ripped both GM Momoy and GM Cano off.

BTW, weren't you with Rapid Arnis? And can I ask who you are under as regards the Multi-style system?

Bill

13. ballistic

ballistic Valued Member

congrats Bill! absolutly love the whip! such a versitile weapon! heres a clip of demo where my instructor Ron Balicki uses the whip.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbEFUPC6OR4"]Chuck Norris B'day demo during MAIA Supershow 2006 - YouTube[/ame]

14. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hi Bill

Congratulations on your recent achievements in the Philippines. Seems like you had a 'cracking' time! :D

Does this promotion mean that you'll now be working much more closely with Pat to spread the good word of San Miguel throughout Europe?

Look forward to seeing you again before too long.

Gumagalang

Peter

15. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Hi

Hi Matt, Peter,

Firstly, is anyone else having problems getting MAP to download? Not login, actually get the website to appear at all? I've had a few problems with it over the last weeks or so.

Matt, cheers for that. The whip Ron is using, do you know the name for it? I keep calling them California whips, but I'm sure there will be a more accurate name.

Peter, the new organisation is very much in its infancy, so I'm looking to work with people who are interested in promoting the whole of The Original San Miguel Eskrima System, not just the latigo. As I wrote earlier, GM Cano has grown tired of people promoting themselves as qualified in the system after a short period of training with him, and without his authorisation - BTW the letter of authority from GM Cano is now up on my website labanbaston.cjb.net - so as long as I get confirmation from GM Cano that anyone who approaches me directly has his permission, I am happy to work with them.

Cheers

Bill

PS " A Cracking Time" - aren't there rules against this kind of joke?...;-)

BL
    Bill Lowery

16. Peter Lewis

Well, I was about to suggest a 'Whip 'round' for you...but that would deserve retribution. :D :D :D

17. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hi Bill good to see you cracking into the more classical styles after your 3 weeks in the PI, I can understand your new passion for SME as I fell in love with it the fist time I had the oppertunity to train with the late great GM Momoy back in 92 and again in 94 and I have had a passion for SME ever since.
    But dont get too hung up on the spelling of a name or the word Original, they are just words. For instance I too have a letter from GM Kano and GM Dionisio Canete with regards to my representation of the SME over here and beleive it or not they both spell Kano with a 'K'? Also I am just completing the script for GM Kano's first DVD and when we filmed it late last year he spelled his name with a K?
    Now on the recent visit of GM Dionisio to the UK he spent 90% of his 2 day seminar teaching SME and he kept enphasising about people claiming to be 'Original' he often said how can anyone claim to be original? There is no zerox version of San Miguel as GM Momoy would change how he done things all the time. GM Dioñisio trained in SME from the 40's onward.
    But I can understand your concerns with people claiming to be SME after only a couple of weeks of training unfortunetly it happens.
    But it is good to see you are helping to promote the memory of the late GM Momoy and the SME system along with a small group of us that have been doing so over the years in our own way. Hopefully unlike many this will not be your only trip to the PI to train in this great system and who knows we may well meet up in Cebu to further our knowledge of SME.
    Best regards

Pat

18. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Cano Kano?

Hi Pat,

>good to see you cracking into the more classical styles<

See Peter, thats what happens when the controls are lax!!!!

Yes, I've seen Kano spelt on the Official DP website, however on his whip handles he spells it Cano!

Again, the concern about others claiming to be authorised is his concern, I think mainly the idea that people are taking his fathers legacy and then passing off their own systems which have "bits" of SME in and lots of other stuff, but still they use the name SME as that is a bigger draw. When I mentioned that I had seen a couple of SME syllabi on the web, the response was "How can others have a written SME syllabus, when GM Momoy didn't have one and, of course he didn't pass one onto his son!!!"

As for only one trip to the PI? That cannot happen. Three weeks and I love the place, people, food everything. We made a lot of great friends there and we found that we had a lot in common. I think the fact that myself and Gareth (my student) treated the people with respect and not simply as ignorant servants (clearly an attitude some tourists have) went down very well. When we left we had most of the locals in the resort saying "see you guys next time". Thats never happend on holiday before!

As well as keeping up with our whip training, we also intend to start into the full SME system. My impression is that GM Cano intends to develop a syllabus so that it is easier to teach and to be able to pass on recognition to people who are actually learning and teaching the "Original" system. When I wrote out the letter of authorisation, I asked GM Cano what changes he wanted to it. The most important was the phrase "the only son of the founder and sole inheritor" bit. He clearly wants to send out a message that he is the top within the SME world.

Cheers

Bill Lowery

19. Peter Lewis

:D :D :D

I've got it... the 'C' is for...CRACK!!!

It's a CRACKER! :D

20. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hi Bill
    With regard to the way some tourist act in the PI, well unfortunetly you will find tourist do that in resorts all around the world not just in the PI. That is why I personaly avoid resorts in the PI but I am sure if you return to the PI and avoid the tourist resorts you would expeariance a whole different aspect to the culture. I am a firm beleiver in that to truely understand the art as a whole it helps to understand the culture but unfortunetly it will take more than a 3 week visit.

The amount of times I have seen people go to the PI for a couple of weeks then think thats it they know the people and the art is almost laughable if it were not sad, that's why I have been traveling there for almost 20 years and even now I am still learning. So my advise to you is now you have finaly taken that first step, keep walking up that road, you will be surprised and amazed at what you can find out.

Something just whipped into my head :) :) surely if you are as you say you are, helping to develop a belt structure and syllabus for any section of SME, bearing in mind the original way SME is taught it has none of the above, surely it is no longer Original SME? Hence you will here GM Dionisio and others say "there is no zerox version of San Miguel" everyone was taught differently so in effect everyone who was taught by GM Momoy and others in the SME group can claim to be original?

Lets not forget others such as GM Albert, GM Dionisio, GM Casio, GM Mendoza, Master Panto Flores, Master Ramon Rubia to name but a few, they all teach SME in their own unique way based on how SME was taught to them. Are they any less original than anyone else? Hence I say dont get too hung up on a word.

Just a though!
    Best regards

Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.