Glycine, anyone got any experience/input

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by seiken steve, Mar 26, 2012.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Glycine is an amino acid that helps with release of GH, it's a pretty cool little chemical in your body. Taken from wiki:
    Lay mans terms: helps the creatine phosphate energy system, thus makes you more awesome, better at explosive activities (like fighting) and helps you get hench. Obviously taking creatine would be quicker though.

It's the effect on growth hormone that interests me though:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7376793 (can't be bothered to reference properly, abstracted abstract) :

Gycine helped cause a SIGNIFICANT increase in serum GH levels when introduced at 8-12g plus intraviniously.
    Also it aided in prolactin levels and at very slightly helped regulate blood sugar.

So this is a cheap amino that is easily digested, that can increase growth hormone, decrese fat storage and regulate blood sugar, oh AND it taste good.
    Why haven't supplement companies utilised on this more? if I can learn all this while sunbathing I'm sure they know it already
    Do you think similar effects could be found when ingested? I fail to see why not.

Have you any experience supplementing with glycine?

I can buy pretty large amounts for dirt cheap, whatcha think, should I go for it?

Any input it all would be cool, I think we have a good discussion in front of us and we've a few sciencey types on here who hopefully may help.

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

it works ATP PC?
    test your 100m run and your high/box/vertical jump and broad jump and see the effects before and after supplementation, maybe after a micro-cycle?
    you'd have to negate your gains from standard progression though.

3. seiken steve

That's going to be measuring rate of force development/neurological efficiency more than CP system efficiency.

I could do intervals on a rower and compare total distance I guess but without expensive kit I don't see we could measure CP quantitatively.

The growth hormone effect is what interests me the most mind, from what i'm pre workout and before bed looks to be ideal. Seems to good to be true, probably is or it'd be in every product we bought.

Another cool factoid: it was found floating in the vacume of space!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'm inclined to be sceptical on the grounds that most supps I've seen have either a minute effect or no effect at all. Also, there's the issue of it being given intravenously in the study, as opposed to you taking it orally yourself. Might be an issue, might not, but you don't know. Finally, unless you get your pre and post GH levels checked, how will you know if it's having the desired effect?

5. seiken steve

That's the thing though, it's not supplemented with as far as I know.

The intravenous thing is still a concern but I'm quite optimistic that ingestion shouldn't make too much difference as amino's don't need digesting they pas immediately through the Walls, and glycine is the smallest amino in the body.

Obviously getting serum levels checked wont be possible, but I have friends in a few labs that may be able to do a pre and post consumption test.

Obviously the other thing is my recovery will increase and I'll find it easier to stay lean, the issue is if it'll make enough of a diff for me to notice.

The only sups I use is vit C and 'scivation X-tend' (BCAA's, some EAAs, cirtrine malate and glutamine) both pre work out and just the Xtend during.

So I could drop say 15g in my pre workout bottle providing I decide it's worth investing.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

muscle biopsy?
    you have a research project!

7. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Well if it's dirt cheap and safe then I see no reason not to have a play about with it. If you do manage to get any tests done please post up the results! Let us know how you get on with it overall, if you decide to go ahead with it. I'm doubtful, but curious nonetheless.

8. seiken steve

Just got of the phone with the bloke selling it, he says it's amazing, but then again he sells it.

He says to take 1g orally and no more than 2g at a time...

Seems odd when our study was showing 8-12g to be optimal...

9. seiken steve

just to update folks the money i had aside for this experement got spent on wholesale chicken and broccoli, oops.

my digging as uncovered some interesting things though, people taking dear antlers and the like.

en route to an unusual conclusion regarding offal too, i'll keep posting as i keep learning.