Glenn Lobo and British Silat Association

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Verx, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

I was surfing around for an MA to join that's locally based and I came across this guy.

http://www.britishsilatassociation.com/

I'm looking for some realistic training with contact and I was wondering if this is for me. The website has kinda confused me, I mean at one point he says that he does do contact and that Silat Lincah is agressive and effective. But he also says that he more traditionilist not focusing on "street" that much and that he believes in Silat Lincah as an art, which is not that bad in itself but it came across a bit dogmatic. Not to mention that he claims to have been a world champion and he kept on talking about his master, Guru Datok Haji Omar Din bin Mauju. Can anyone verify if Glenn Lobo has ever been a world champion or has he really trained under Guru Datok? There are some pictures on the site of him with what might be his Guru.

I don't anything about Silat so I can't really judge about how good he really is but these are some vids on youtube that I found. He's the brown guy btw.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2222M8SJuo"]Silat lincah with Glenn Lobo - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5siSFTP6_LE"]YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWrXql55-2A"]YouTube[/ame]

From an uneducated perspective it seems kinda unrealistic drills. But I guess these are just drills not real fighting.

Also, if anyone knows about pricing, it would be appreciated.

Cheers.:)

2. mick shore

mick shore Valued Member

i trained silat with glen for over 10 years,he does know his stuff and did train it in malaysia with maha guro omar din,i teach silat alongside other arts at my school ,some like it some dont,go for a trial lesson and find out if its for you or not-mick

3. glennlobo

glennlobo Valued Member

apparently i am dogmatic. i like things done a certain way. i liek to teach techniques completely, and in detail so you get them RIGHT. if thats dogmatic then yep. we train contact, when youre ready for it, and up for it. most people are happy to hit others, not many liek it back, so if youre prepared to take it, we'll give it back to you. if you only give it out, then youre a bully and we dont want you.

dont think i said i have been a world champion.. represented britain at various competitions including WC but not won one. there is a collection of photos on the site with me receiving different things from Maha Guru. how do you explain those?

definintions.. not focused on the street applications for everything, but still teaching in a traditional manner. we do contact. lincah is an art.. seni silat lincah.. it is not brawling. it is fighting,bu ti like to think of it as having a certain style!!

oh and the PC version is "he's the guy dressed in black" lol

4. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Hello Guru Lobo,

I happen to look at your site and whilst browsing I noticed you have trained under Pa Flohr as well in Holland. And I've seen you've trained quite a bit with other more well known teachers as well. I'm doing a bit of training under one of Pa Flohr's students. How were those days and how do they compare to your other training?

Hormat,
    Taoizt

5. glennlobo

glennlobo Valued Member

pa flohr was a remarkable man. his humour belied his skill. the sense of belonging he gave you was magical. awe inspiring. when i first met him i was immediately at ease, and felt i could be totally open and honest. there was no agenda no problem. when i thought i had some difficulties with black magic, he sent me to his friend Pa Turpijn, who extended me every courtesy because i was from Pa flohr. Rudi Luiken, his son in law look me in looked after me and was brilliant. they were kindness itself. they used to say look for the good in everyone, and love the man even if you dont like his actions. in training they held nothing back. if they like you they will hurt you, because to not hit you properly is to do you a disservice. it was painful, but educational, edifying, and enlightening. when i first saw the class i almost cried, because i felt i had at last found what i was looking for.

every teacher i have trained with has taught me something useful. some like Pa Flohr have taught me how to behave in life, others have taught me how i dont want to behave because i dont like how they operate. the friendship was extended to me simply because pa flohr said i was ok. un questioning loyalty. and he deserved it all and more. on one occasion i needed collecting from a meeting. the message got scrambled, so their 3 biggest guys turned up to remove me, in case there was any resistance. i was almost lifted out (i was lighter then!!) with my kit and taken to Breda. i called, they came. true friendship. i loved every minute of it.

pa flohr taught me skills, and attributes. principles. these fit in well with my other styles. they help explain each other which is why i like them so much. lincah is a beautiful art very technical if you break it down. all 3 of my main styles have options. the training has been very different. lincah was done in malaysia.. very hot, not the same athletic climate so long breaks in training so i had to do a lot of thinking about it on my own. gayong was good till i felt exploited. the techniques were good but i felt like a cash cow. again, happy times till the money became an issue.

who are you training with? whoever it is extend to them my very best wishes... and its Glenn to my friends, and if you train with one of Pa Flohrs students, then you are my friend
    all the best

6. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Easy...Mr Lobo, no need to get defensive.:)

You like to train your art as an art, so be it. If that's how you like to train, good for you. In fact, I like it that you're sticking with what you know.

The thing is that I want to train live and I am willing to take and give pain to achieve that, that's why I asked about contact.

And finally, I just needed some secondary sources on your claims. That's all. There are many poor MA schools and instructors that claim to be things they aren't. I just wanted to make sure that you're aren't one of them.:)

Cool.

:whistle:

Lol, my bad.

7. glennlobo

glennlobo Valued Member

actuallyi'm not defensive about it.. i like being dogmatic!! and i like what i do, teaching an art as an art, doesnt make it less effective in a combat arena. i teach the skill sets in the same way i was taught them, but then i apply them differently. in Malaysia they look to the competition side of silat, which doesnt interest me. i have always focused on the combat/ street effective side. one reason i like lincah is that there is little dance so the movement has purpose.

i dont just teach from what i know in silat. i have a wide range of experiences in martial arts and my work, so our training is efficient, biomechanically sound, we work on minimizing injuries, stretching properly and carefully. sialt has to grow to be alive, so my silat has grown and developed.

never just go for secondary sources for validation. unfortunately in silat you need tertiary and quaternary sources to validate peoples claims.. keep checking. my credentials are irrefutable so i'm not bothered!! when youre done, drop by.

oh and also for the record, the techniques you posted are my arnis instructor shaun Porter doing techniques on me,
    try these
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6sWkzso3Fg"]YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3vIW6R_dZs"]YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  8. glennlobo

glennlobo Valued Member

hi Verx, classes start this week thursday, arnis from 7-8 silat from 8-9.30. feel free to drop by. ramridge junior school, turners road north.

regards
    Glenn

9. Darryl

Darryl Valued Member

Hi Glenn - there's a name from the past...
    I trained with you back in the 80's when we were both young and good looking LOL.
    You helped sort my 'pulled' elbow/forearm from stickwork!

Attended a Course in Finsbury organised by Bob Breen week of Kali/Thai/Silat...also there Guru Richard be Boards!

It was really funny as each day different teachers had to alternate their Arts so that we had one hard session and the other two were soft LOL trouble is someone forgot to remind the teachers, as every session three each day were hard!

The Silat (Tiger/Himaru - please excuse spelling - as it was a long time ago - apologies if incorrect ) was very low stances, and with a smile...just like traditional Kung Fu.

I have always trained Kung Fu, but have met many great people in other Arts and have respect for all.

I am Darryl Cross. Still training in sunny Wales... please see here for reference./info.
    www.fungyangsaukungfu.co.uk

good health and contentment to you Glenn...

Darryl

10. glennlobo

glennlobo Valued Member

errr what do you mean WERE good looking???

Hi Darryl i remember you well. how are you? you sound very "chipper" life is obviously looking after you well, i'm glad to see. i was looking up my old photos and saw those from that course!! Garry Richard and Bob. i remember richard not turning up for some of the sessions and having to teach them myself!!

thems were the days!! the advantage of training with an osteopath is that we can fix the minor problems that come from training!!

Good health and happiness to you too.. keep in touch

Glenn

ps do you see any of them any more?

11. Darryl

Darryl Valued Member

Hi Glenn,
    Crikey whatever happened to those 20 years LOL.

Well, I trained with Bob for a few years and he offered me to become an Assistant JKD Instructor and represent him in this part of the world.
    I didn't take him up on his offer as I am a Kung Fu man thru and thru...LOL. Only because its the best you'll understand:woo: :hat: LOL

Sorry about the plug!!!

Yes my friend life is good and my meetings and training with other good guys in the Arts always makes me smile when I think back.

Sadly, I had all my (many) photos of 'the course' in an album...but lost it when I last moved house! "Gutted" as we Welsh say!

I learned so much with all these guys and so many others also.

Did you get a look at the website?

I was lucky enough to go to China on two occassions ( and fight full-contact)...they have a way of making you feel at home !!! ( By trying to kick the living daylights out of you!)
    Seeing your name takes me back. I think I am much more rounded now as I have met many many top teachers of differing things.
    Obviously you can get so much more info in a much shorter time span with these people.
    I don't think much of the UFC thou...I appreciate that they have woken up many many people to reality - as to more pressure testing, but many of them (Not all I must add) lack the Art. They only have the fighting - and that's it.

It's funny when we've had some come into class and many are nice good guys, but some want to try it on!!! I laugh, I have competed at a higher level than most and it was Full contact...then you pull a knife out of your bag and say...now lets see your hard man style! GULP!!! LOL

Love the Arts love life...it's just I'm going to die in a few years, and there's so much more to learn!!! Just gotta cram in as much as poss. Need more time LOL...

Really enjoyed the reply to you. I've got a smile on my face like a Cheshire cat!
    Keep in touch, would love to chat - as you can see...

I trained with Jak Othman a few years back - another really nice guy.

atb

for now

Darryl