Glen Levy

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Metal_Kitty, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

I'm surprised that this guy's name hasn't popped up much on this forum. Is that because no one here really knows anything about him? I mean...he, of all people, was chosen to represent ninjutsu on Fight Science. Although that's not the most accurate show, it surely would've sparked in interest in the ninjutsu community. Has anyone done any research?

The only videos I could find of him were some modified omote gyaku, some non-ninjutsu self defense techniques, pressure points, and some less than practical tricks. His website claims he studied Ninjutsu, Kali, Brazilian Jujutsu, Wing Chun, Tai Chi Chuan and Muay Thai, but with absolutely no mention of where he received any of his training. And I feel you always need to be wary of "experts" who claimed they've studied a large variety of martial arts.

I have him on my facebook and I keep up to date with his news and blogs. It appears that he's a stuntman for the movie Spartacus now. Does anyone have any thoughts on his representation of ninjutsu...or him in general?? Or any info about his background?

2. Oriares

Oriares Valued Member

He sparked my interest until I saw him on the same show representing Crane Style Kung Fu (is that really a style?).

The fact that they used the same people to represent multiple things led me to believe that they were just getting people who could do what the show was trying to get across in that particular episode.

3. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

From what i can gather, as far as his taiji chuan stuff goes, he's self taught.
    His taiji chuan comprises of buying some of E.Montaigues vids, that much i do know.
    In fact E.Montaigue criticises one of this guys you-tube vids himself :)

Ofcourse glen claims to be grandmaster of his own system. That usualy tells the tale right there :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  4. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Snake oil salesman..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C-kxrXysus"]YouTube - Quantum Leap Your Life[/ame]

The LOL factor is through the roof!

5. Metal_Kitty

I do have to give him credit for somehow managing to stay out of the radar while dudes like Greg Park are copping it bad! Personally I've seen more ninjutsu from Greg Park. Yet I must admit, Glen is a lot more intriguing. I wonder what exactly gets taught at his seminars. The guy really doesn't show enough of himself to be classified as either a fraud or a lethal weapon.

6. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Not sure about that.....

While he may have had a little schooling in Bujinkan arts, that is long past, and has almost no influence on what he shows, except of course in name (www.thatninjaguy.com)....

Here's a rather flattering biography on him: http://www.usadojo.com/biographies/glen-levy.htm

Some favourite parts include:

and

You have to ask, if he is so above everyone else, why isn't he in more movies? Oh, by the way, that word-for-word biography turns up on a number of sites, including movie sites, so it would most likely come from Glen, or his publicity department.

Ín short, he's a publicity machine. Nothing to do with Ninjutsu whatsoever (and the National Geographic shows don't count as proof as he didn't show anything to do with Ninjutsu there either).

7. Metal_Kitty

Yeah, that was also the impression I had. It seems like his goal is to be in the entertainment industry, which in that case I'm not sure what business he has to be running self defence seminars and publishing self defence DVDs, and even creating his own martial arts system. I'm just making assumptions though....it could be an effective system. I did ask him a few questions about his ninjutsu training on facebook, which he never replied to.

8. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

He has mentioned training in "Togakure Ryu for 12 years" in New Zealand, most likely under Michael Gent's group, who were originally with us (until a rather public incident in the early 90's). He has also mentioned that he started training at the age of 5, but no mention of what he trained in then, or when the Ninjutsu part of his training was. Other indications reports from him have him developing his Hyoujutsu system after "over a decade of training in various arts", starting at the age of 5....

9. KiddReige

KiddReige The Six Samurai-Zanji

I always thought it was weird when I saw Fight Science and saw stuff like ichimonji or jodan uke. I was like, "who is this guy?"

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Hmm so what exactly have you seen him do that is Ninjutsu?

11. Metal_Kitty

Haha! By comparison, I mean. And I don't mean it's GOOD ninjutsu...I just mean I've seen him ATTEMPT more ninjutsu related things, such as the weaponry (which wasn't too awful) and some kamaes. And his style in general is closer to ninjutsu than Levy's. I even remember one video with Glen Levy doing some capoeira stuff! :confused:

12. Dean Winchester

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

13. Metal_Kitty

????

I'm lost.....

14. Dean Winchester

I've noticed ;)

:D :D

15. Metal_Kitty

Well don't leave me hanging!

Explain?

16. Dean Winchester

Check your inbox :)

17. Metal_Kitty

Hehe....thanks dude! :hat:

18. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

This guy came up as the subject of discussion on another site a few years ago. Despite his claims of training in Togkure ryu ninjutsu, no searches by any of the members anywhere could find anyone that could remember him training.

The conclusion seems to be something like that years ago he went to a single seminar and trained on his own alongside other arts he probably only went to a single seminar to learn and ten years later said he had been training in the art for ten years.

19. Muawijhe

Muawijhe Dreams of Madness

He came up on another forum not too long ago. I can't remember which one, though. Might have been Martial Talk.

The end story, however, is that he is a stunt man. He's taken bits and pieces of all different styles, added some movie flash to them, and sells himself. He has done lots of work on big and little movies, but is most notably known as being a Power Ranger (yes, that should sum it up nicely).

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1355683/

He uses the whole "ninja" word, like many others, to sell his wares. Stay clear of him for martial arts, but if you want to know about the world of a Hollywood stunt double/flash dancer, his resume speaks for itself.

EDIT: I found two threads on MartialTalk that explain in more detail much of what has been covered here.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89609&highlight=glen+levy

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36131&highlight=glen+levy

20. ronnex

ronnex New Member

ofcourse is a ninjitsu expert, you cant find much on his information maybe because he is a shadow, he will never let the world know where he got the expertism, real ninja right? dare to touch him he will give you the death punch