GKR, need info please

Discussion in 'Karate' started by samuri-man, Mar 26, 2006.

1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

please everyone, i need proper credible information about Go Kan Ryu, none of that stuff that it's a mcdojo like i already know, actual information, i have a friend whos joining one of there dojos, so i wanna know more about it, training methods, dojo kun, all that jazz. please for my friends sake

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

For your 'friends' sake you should find him another dojo.

3. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

i tried to get HER to come to my dojo

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  4. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

Theres just something basically wrong when the dojo comes to you. lol

5. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

6. Nails

Nails Valued Member

There is nothing credible to say about this outfit. A bunch of chancers who just take your money.

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

I've not trained in a GKR dojo and so my comments are based on talking to students or parents of students...

IN THE UK...

It's OK not the best and not the worst training that you can get.

GKR seems to be a multi-level marketing style of martial arts where fairly inexperienced people are allowed to run clubs.

I would advise anyone training with them to check out the safety and insurance aspects (especially that the insurance is through an independent and reputable insurance company).

I don't expect that training in GKR is actually any worse than training in over 90% of the other martial arts classes that are available. Most people who train in the arts are doing it for 'a bit of fun' and how authentic or 'street effective' the actual art is, is not really that important to them.

YMMV.

All the best.

Robert.

8. miagi

miagi New Member

It's a bad move for you friend

9. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I've got a workmate who does GKR.
    He genuinely enjoys it and takes it seriously.
    He's also pretty fit.
    I've never seen a class though, and I haven't seen him train karate either.
    I've been to yoga class with him, and he's not a duffer.
    I also went to a body combat class with him, but he couldn't do a jumping kick for toffee!
    He's of the opinion that you shouldn't ask your students to do something you can't do, which ain't bad advice.
    I'm of the opinion that if you set aside the mcdojo and pyramid selling aspects, then you can probably get decent karate training there.
    That said, I've not sent my kids to one.