GKR door knockers...

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Hiroji, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yep, they were back today, an whole army of them in team tracksuit tops knocking on doors trying to get people to "learn self defence in 3 lessons" - am i wrong in thinking this kind of thing is just wrong - they are whoring karate and all martial arts for that matter!

Not only that, they told me i could have my own class in 6months! What???

I waited to hear all the crap they had to say, then i told them ive been doing kickboxing for 2 and a bit years and they shut up and left.

Ive nothing against people doing it if they like it, and there is nothing wrong with advertising your club, but this is just one step too far IMO.

Money making set up?

2. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

i have never encountered these leeches IRL... but have heard about them on several boards... my apologies they are in your hood....
    poor brainwashed idiots are always unpleasant to have around

3. prowla

prowla Valued Member

As I understand it, the way the teaching works is they let green belts call themselves sensei, and they get to teach the lower grades, etc.
    Me, I'll stick to going to class with my 4th Dan Sensei, who has earned the title!

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

H you should have thrown aside your love-fu and told them to **** off :D

5. Hiroji

I was very close to doing that G :D

6. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j9dJXtlaXM"]Karate Kumite win! - YouTube[/ame]

Reminds me of that thing you do as a kid to annoy your mate where you wave your hands around and say "I'm not touching you".

These clubs are overtaking the area I live in, recently one club offering a mix of cardio kickboxing and taekwondo, to quote the flyer, "For a modest begginers offer*" is opening in the gym directly opposite ours when I told them that I was part of the long established club dead opposite with a loyal following and that there was a jujitsu club within a stones throw away with a bloody good track record, you should've seen his face drop :D.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  7. Hiroji

lol nice one Sam! :D

If people want to do a martial art, then they will bloody go out and do one - shouldnt have it forced on you in this manner just so they can make up numbers and money. Not only that but the GKR ive seen, like in the clip you posted, is actually poor. Its not a good thing for Karates hardcore rep thats for sure.

8. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

It's all about kyokushin styles like wado, shotokan, ****o ryu all suck and only pussys and girls do them etc.

Kyokushin owns all karate.

(I would try doing that stupid l33t speak or whatever to make this post more credible but I don't know how)

9. Hiroji

Do you really think that Sam or you being sarcastic?!

your not a pussy and you do Wado! :p

Dont worry, i cant do that speak either!

10. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

Much of the blame has to be laid at the door of the UK martial arts media and some ' Karate politicians ' , ( Now there's a misnomer, If ever I heard one !? ). Recently, the UK's premier martial arts mag, ( Ha ha ), featured a guy who after some 2 years training in GKR opened his own academy. Admittedly, he moved on and began other arts and fair play. However, there are so many more deserving ' Old hands ' that deserve some acclaim and not just back slapping networkers !

Also, you can bet your dojo fees that the NEXT BIG one and only UK karate Association will be infiltrated, by the door knockers, tenth dans, franchisers', business modellers from day one, just as the last one was. Yes, some genuine groups will join, but they'll be tainted by the cowboys and spivs who will join, also. Most of the credible guys will remain outside and concentrate on training and not ripping people off.........

Jaae

Jaae

11. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

You may think all this politicizing and constant down grading of standards wont affect you.......... one day these people will be governing you, issuing you your liscensing book, grades, insurance, tellling where and when you can rent, what belt you can wear and what uniform to buy !!! You read it here first...........

Jaae

12. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Cool, I live in Leeds too, I hope that means they'll be knocking on my door soon. Apparently in GKR they teach that you don't need to actually hit anything in order to develop a powerful punch. I shall of course be asking them to demonstrate their punching prowess on my makiwara.

Mike

13. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

they had a local class near me, went to look and it was a 15 year old running the class with his mum in the corner

14. Hiroji

That just about sums it up right there

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Why can't these guys ever knock on my door! Why do I miss out on all the fun.

Hopefully, once I've had the garage converted I may get a visit ;)

'Could you give me a demostration? Come into my fully matted garage. Ignore the sticks and fencing masks....' ;)

16. tel

i had them knock on my door, when i said yeah lats talk they said they would come back, but they didn't show. SO GUTTED :D

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd love them to come here also. Get my 13 year old to kick the cat out of them.

18. tel

they will prob get him to run classes for them

19. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

élite classes in self defence nd miltary close combat

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

He's about to leave Jujitsu for that very reason, too much teaching and not enough training. I believe, he might change his mind though.