Give me your longsword drills, people!

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Langenschwert, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Or, "All Your Drill Are Belong To Us" ;)

So, I'm now more or less running a chapter of a WMA organisation, and it's up to me to run the class, do the paperwork, and so on.

For the class, I am using as the cirriculum Liechtenauer's verses on longsword, and the commentaries of his followers. I have lesson plans and a bunch of drills I'm going to use, but I can always use more. I figured I'd post here rather than the WMA forum to get more input.

So weapon guys, what are some (hopefully fun) drills I can incorporate into the class? Drill with weapons and without are welcome. Focus on the useful and fun, since I want my students coming back. ;)

Best regards,

-Mark

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

A:
    The zombie-game; originaly made for daggerwork, but could possibly work on swords as well (slow motion attacks by zombies on a "hero" that allso must go in slow motion) *

B:
    A line of attackers, and one "hero" against the wall. The attackers charges and attacks -full-speed-withouth feints*; one at a time, but attacks on very short intervals.

C:
    Fûhlen-game. Start in crossada, se who wins!

D:
    Semi-free-sparring: The "dummy" (is in vor, and) presses the "active" (who is in nach) The active then tries to find an "indes" and break the line of attacks and win the duel. (metal-blunt or shinai + fencing mask is required)

E:
    (Requires a lot of space, but not too much:) 2 vs 1. You learn timing and traversing.

F:
    Free-sparring. (metal-blunt or shinai + fencing mask is required)

G:
    Role-play-session-sparring.
    Two opponents talk themselves through a fencing match:
    a "-what do you do if I do THIS attack!?" (bang!)
    b "-HA! Then I do THIS counter!" (swish!)
    A "-but then I sidestep and do this!" (bonk, plopp argh!)

-Most fun if it's done a littlebit theatrical and not full speed.

H:
    The same as "B", but this time the attackers is in a circle around the "hero". They still attacks one at a time, though.*

*= you can tune the difficulty-level by adjusting speed and attack-options for the attackers.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  3. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

4. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I normally do this empty handed but should work with a sword as well.
    Pair people off.
    Give side A a specific step they must make but let them choose the attack. Side B may respond with a block, parry, or evasion of their choice. Footwork of side B is not limited.

Switch sides and do it again.

Next step is add a counterattack.

The students in our class really enjoy these drills. I find it to be a great icebreaker for sparring.

5. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Two things I remember liking a lot when I briefly did SCA fencing:
    Melees:
    Two teams of fencers. Four on four, three on three, however many people you have. You may just be trying to take out the other "team," or have a specific objective, such as "don't let them get cross this line." Apparently they have competitions like this in the SCA. It gets fun once you start getting tactics involved and having people choose certain weapons (ie, one with a sword and dagger, one with a buckler, etc.) for certain positions.
    The Circle of Death (Valhalla):
    Same idea, but without teams. Just a large however-many-people free for all. It's pretty fun, and the slow pace of fencing keeps it safe (whereas a twelve person MMA match would be a bloodbath).
    There's also two on one fencing, where you have a schlager in each hand and try and hold off two people at once, like something out of a Zorro movie.
    I personally find sparring under strange circumstances (such as when there are more than two people involved) quite entertaining and testing useful bits of skill and awareness that wouldn't in a one-on-one match.

6. I'mKira

I'mKira Banned Banned

Thou shalt not stir a foot to seek a foe.