Give me your best over competitive guy stories

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by greg1075, Jul 2, 2015.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Until you end up on the physio table for 6 months because your rotator cuff/ACL/Achilles/etc just got torn by an idiot.

2. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

[​IMG]

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

well i've got a replaced acl in the right knee because of basketball, a shorn off labrum in my right shoulder because of being a soccer goalie. if i wear any shoes without arch support, first my knees then my back ache for weeks on end. and there's this weird clicking noise in my hip since i turned 40. and i think i've got some kind of weird ankle issues, probably from wearing skates and playing too much pond hockey. i'm definitely dumber from the couple concussions i sustained playing rugby.

but other than all that...

i say bring it on.

i actually feel pretty safe doing bjj, much more than doing either aikido or hapkido. honestly. compliant arts stink. for one, they don't teach one how to actually fight. but two, those arts don't actually teach anyone how to defend themselves, actively. sure, i've rolled with some people that are aggressive--we all have. doesn't really bother me.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i really used to hate the guys in hapkido that would try to kick you through the opposing wall when you're holding the bag for them. couple times i had to be like "this isn't a movie, kick with some control".

and the worst is the aikidoka who give you the extra little twist on the wrist lock as you're on the ground because you've compliantly let the same aikidoka "throw" you. stinks.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I totally understand, I was just curious :p

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003297.htm

I agree with the mod stance.

But if I can add context.

fool means "rigid" the opposite of plastity which does describe how new people roll quite well, that is the original of the term, but I understand the mod stance re: term of abuse.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Dead_pool

Greg - there's two factors here
    1) bluebelts are insecure people with egos too
    2) white belts often escalate rolls and then get annoyed when the higher grade does aswell.

8. Dead_pool

Whilst I'm with you (and I am), as a fan of universal jits, its a difficult line, its best to tap early, but then its a reward to them for stepping outside of the rules. Short term don't roll (light) with him, don't give him your back.

9. Dead_pool

It's stepping outside of agreed rules without warning that annoys me.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I could have tapped earlier, but since he completely missed the choke, I was reluctant to tap for a mistake.

He's normally a good guy to roll with. Terrible guy to be thrown by, but a good guy to roll with.

11. Dead_pool

It's a real Hobson's choice sometimes ain't it.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Say what? Isn't that how you are supposed to kick pads?
    Control is for hitting people imho. Impact equipment should be for developing impact. Pads get the full beans unless the person holding it weighs much less than me (or the pad in question is unsuitable for taking the required impact...I wouldn't spinning back kick a focus mitt held on the stomach for example...a kick shield on the other hand... :evil: ).
    If you're holding a pad and get kicked through the wall you are either holding for a giant or aren't in a suitable stance.
    AFAIK holding pads can be a training exercise for the holder as well as the hitter. What impact can feel like for example.

TLDR? Man up! :)

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I couldn't agree more. I've held big pads for people and ended up with black and blue arms. At the end of it I congratulated the kicker for a really good session. If the pad holder hasn't had a proper workout then the kicker is goofing off.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I remember holding thai pads for my Karate instructor and I swear I could feel my forearms bending on each kick. :)

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

The last time I held a pad was during a guest training in another club.
    The teacher there kicked the pads, I got some bruises on my arms anyway - and I loved it :eek: :D

I probably go back there towards the end of the year.
    (Not because of the bruises alone though :p )

EDIT: I don't hold pads too often during the HKD class. I guess they think me too small and weakish. And I admit: If some people there were to kick full-speed it probably flew through the next wall :eek:

16. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Exactly. You're almost never gonna cause major injury hitting a pad. The comparison with joint locks and chokes is way off.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  17. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I feel quite blessed, I don't think I've ever had the misfortune to roll with someone who was so dangerously lacking in composure that it became an issue. The worst I've had to deal with is people with poor personal hygiene... nobody wants your 4 day old, post-curry, skid marked underpants burning a hole through your gi and into their face no matter how 'reality based' and 'st733t l3th4l' the experience. Plus, showers aren't exclusively for post-training :eek:.

Regarding pressure: personally I like rolling either ultra hard or extra light and anywhere in between, as long as I myself am being as technical as I can be it's all good. I just try to match my parters intensity and I don't have an issue. Most probable cause of injury is either ego or both being newbs. A good hard crushing is good for you and perfectly cool as long as you are getting a variety of pressures and flows in your rolling I think.

Edit - regarding pad work - the pads are made for smashing; if you aren't smashing them (due to good mechanics) you are doing it wrong.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Went to a Matt Thornton seminar in Manchester one time and during a roll at the end when we were all pretty knackered had some complete stranger apply a crucifix neck crank on me.

And at a local MMA club I was considering, after years away from grappling, the ex-body builder instructor proceeded to can opener me as I was trying to roll smooth and not be a tool. On me perhaps for not clearing it or getting out but it was only a move he could tap me with because he was much bigger and stronger than me. One severely cricked neck later and that was one student he missed out on as I never went back.

19. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Tool.

That's one of the worst things about the popularity of MMA other than the fans: meat-head and/or under-qualified instructors/clubs tarnishing the experience and reputation of the sport and the arts.

name and shame mate.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Nah. It's easy to work out if you really wanna.