Gikan ryu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by jameswhelan, Jul 26, 2012.

1. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

Well having worked closely with and around NASA folks, some are brilliant and some couldn't pour **** out of a boot with the instructions on the heel.

2. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

A wonderful phrase I've never heard before. I must use it!

3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

One of the things I like about the buj is that it allows people to take varying approaches to their development. In my experience (eg outside of ma) a dogmatic or "one size fits all" approach only works for the subset of talented people who respond to that particular approach

Of course everyone needs to develop along certain lines and through certain stages, but I don't think everyone needs to go to the same depth in all areas to become a competent martial artist

Although I do think that there is a minimum threshold that everyone at a certain level should be able to perform the forms well

4. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Interesting....So, you're saying that NASA has crappy quality control? I mean, they DID just land something on Mars....Don't you think that those people manning the EDL desk were all upset that someone who they thought 'couldn't hack it' got to say they they work for NASA? How do they do it? Gosh....

Hmmmm.....Interesting.....

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Even NASA has janitors,

6. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

I'm saying NASA has some great engineers and scientists, and some who aren't that great. They are like any other government agency in that they have tons of waste too. You have a few who do tons of work, and then you have those that might hit golf balls all day out the back of the building they are in. I have seen it with my own eyes!

7. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Agreed!

8. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Yeah, so I had thought I had turned up the sarcasm level to 11. But, it's always a crap-shoot with the written word:

I was drawing a parallel to the criticisms discussed on a 2-month cycle in this forum about 'quality control' and the Bujinkan.

I have zero doubt with about what you report. It's the 80-20 rule, and I think it applies to any organization. I would be shocked if anyone worked anywhere that wasn't some new startup with 10 people that didn't have some employees who were, let us say, 'sub-optimal' hires.

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Read Richard Fynman's scathing report from the Challenger disaster investigation. None of those people should have died.

10. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

You guys are as crazy as ever. And here I was thinking of rejoining one of the orgs this year only to be greeted on MAP by another one of these threads.

To actually respond to the original post, I'm gonna purchase either the book or video and let you know what I think. Not that I have much to compare it to, but Im pretty sure I have a very small amount of notes on Gikan ryu kata... somewhere...

More than likely, they are simply "_____ Sensei said this technique is from Gikan Ryu" and not notes on full kata, but I can't remember. The movements from the video on Youtube seem familiar at least.

11. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

Oops. :) Yes one thing I hate about message boards is intentions do not always come through correctly.

12. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

np. I should have flooded it with emoticons...

13. gapjumper

I just watched the youtube vid too.

I was expecting something very unfamiliar the way it was being touted.

But looked pretty familiar.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  14. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

Richard Feyman wrote the challenger disaster investigation? No kidding

15. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Yeah, turns out he's dreamy in every possible way.

16. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

Surely you must be joking Mr. Feyman. Cant believe how much stuff that dude achieved in one lifespan.

17. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Sums it up quite nicely:

[​IMG]

18. gapjumper

I know he has squashed his bongos between his knees, but what did he sit on to cause that face?!

Might have been a funny night at A&E...

19. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Yup,dat 'bout it!

20. skuggvarg

skuggvarg Valued Member

Just got my hands on the shoden material from the Genbukan Gikan Ryu. Some interesting information in it.
    Especially interesting is the naming of the 13 forms. They are quite similar to Koto Ryu. Some seem identical and some have similar kanji. Like my good friend commented the forms themselves also seem to correlate to Koto Ryu. In the forewords there is a historical mention of Gyokko Ryu but not of Koto Ryu. Any Genbukan member on here who knows more?

Regards / Skuggvarg