Gikan ryu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by jameswhelan, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Pankeeki

Pankeeki Valued Member

There are written documents in the Bujinkan for Gikan Ryu written by Takamatsu, I've seen some of them and practised some kata from them. They were very difficult to do correctly and I understand why they are not transmitted publicly in the Bujinkan.
    But they are being transmitted to some people in the Bujinkan and they have the documentation to prove it.

Take care,

Ferry

2. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

Heh, the reason I said "maybe they think it might be Gikan Ryu," was sort of meant as a joke. There was one case that people have mentioned before, where someone was going to demonstrate Gikan Ryu, and it ended up being Asayama Ichiden Ryu. Or how about something being taught with the "feeling of Gikan Ryu." There has been nothing definitive ever released until now. I am not saying Hatsumi doesn't know Gikan Ryu, so let's be clear on that.

If I sounded contradictory in my other statements, I apologize. However, when someone acts like Sato Kinbei Sensei was being dishonest or "fishy" I take offense to that. Of course this would also mean Takamatsu Sensei was being dishonest as well, don't you think? That is why I brought up the Ishitani-den TYR as an example, because there is just too much there for it to have been mailed in, so to speak. If you haven't had the opportunity to train it, then how could you know? For me, that is proof enough of a legitimate transmission, and not some "black belt by mail" scheme.

3. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

A little kyojitsu never hurt anyone. :D

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Cool, thanks. For me, I couldn't give a chuff about the legitimacy of someone else's art, especially when I haven't mastered my own yet. Some people like to just gossip over tea and biscuits and some people might have other reasons, but whatever.

It remains contrary though, that you say one ryu can be passed off as another until you look at one that you know for sure isn't like the IDTYR. At some point we are going to have to go on trust that we are being shown the proper things, without the Kyo, but I guess that might be more likely to happen when we deserve it from putting in the time to learn the other stuff.

Personally, I reckon I must be up to Shoden level of Gikan Ryu as my Charlie Chaplin walk is down pat.

5. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  6. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

so you can do the shodensha and shoden.kata.no problem

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

No doubt. It's just like Koto Ryu after all.. not like we are talking brain surgery here.

As long as you can do the funny walk you are all set.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svih10EdWe4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svih10EdWe4[/ame]

Shinken Gata at 0.37

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  8. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Hehehe!

:D

9. gapjumper

Really? You take offense on behalf of Sato Kinbei Sensei? I'm sure they didn't realise you knew him.

10. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

really? care.to.elaborate and name some kata? really i think it was said ealier i dont care what Hatsumi or the bujinkan has or not just that this school is being taught to all in the genbukan now.

and as far as the written documents u can read.then and was.it a.seperate gikan ryu densho.or.the kotoh ryu with the gikan ryu.kanji?[/QUOTE]

what's with the full stops everywhere??????

11. gapjumper

Secret codes!

12. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

I never met the man. I take offense because attempts to discredit him seem to be done by those who have the "Highlander" syndrome. You know, "there can be only one" who could have studied and received any of these arts from Takamatsu Sensei. Also, if nothing else they are attempts to belittle the Genbukan as a whole. It is like they are afraid we will have something they will not. We actually do have quite a bit in the way of ryu-ha that the other orgs don't have. However, that does go both ways with regards to the Bujinkan...they have Gyokushin Ryu and Kumogakure Ryu and we don't. :D

Ok that is enough of this foolishness, enjoy your training.

13. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

cute lol...but sorry the shodensha are.nothing like kotoh ryu whatsoever they are actually ki techniques with alot of sutemi similar to kukinage....i thought the same as u though prior to seeing them.but there also some similar to koto here and there. strange indeed.

oh and the hatsumi shuffle is not part of gikan ryu...sorry ;)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  14. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

what's with the full stops everywhere??????[/QUOTE]

a) i shouldnt ma planet and drive

b) i am horrible on a droid lol

15. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Brian,

This is getting a bit much. I spoke with levity to show how I was open to you being valid in your training and how I also feel that people shouldn't throw stones in glass houses (IE Boojers who really do suck at training but love to natter).

But how can you keep on harping about the highlander syndrome that you think is out there and how you think people are attacking the Genbukan, then preemptively attack with this sort of nonsense - where is it happening? Why are you using this reason?

I mean, honestly, I don't know many people who are really ragging on the Genbukan here on this board, and in person the worst I hear from anyone in the Bujinkan is that you guys are a bit stiff but have solid basics. We on the other hand are very fairly depicted by the vast amount of crap on the internet.

If we are to believe that Kimbei is a true Soke, and that he passed this to Tanemura, then in what way does that impact how Hatsumi or his team understands Gikan Ryu?

How can you go on about - there is not only one, then tell me you know it best?

Get on with your own training, enjoy the gift of Gikan Ryu, but don't sit there and tell me that you know it better or I need to meet your criteria in order to meet approval. You give the impression of the fat kid that got the extra cookie and is bragging about it. Enjoy it politely.

I don't need your external validation, and you shouldn't need mine.

The Ninjer forum, just when you thought you were out, they dragged you back in..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  16. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Valued Member

Err...Matt, that was Eric that said that I believe, they have simiar avatars

17. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

matt i never said any if that, ie "highlander syndrome", etc?? I was just speaking about specifics of gikan ryu.

I think I said several times what the bujinkan does is unrelated to what the genbukan is presenting.

18. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Sorry Brian, I got all fired up and confused with your mate Eric.

However, the feeling I get is that you are rubbing it in a bit, which seems odd when you align it with the principle that we are all doing our own thing to the best of our abilities.

I really am happy that you get to train this, but don't need you to test me as per here:

which I find a passive aggressive response to a bit of humour.

And here:

Which I take as you trying to tell me that you know best, when we are doing different things.

Maybe I should have a cranberry juice.

19. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

Just to clarify, my "Highlander" statement wasn't intended so much for you folks, but rather a by-product of attitudes I have seen from a few elsewhere. I apologize for it appearing as though it was intended for any of you. Intent is sometimes hard to convey in black and white text. Hey, at least we got a four page thread going in what had been a pretty dead forum. ;)

20. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

matt..no need for me to respond to specifics in your post, i should have used a little more tact, lets go have s cranberry juice together mate.