Ghostbusters: afterlife

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by axelb, Dec 9, 2019.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I just watched the trailer for the Ghostbusters: afterlife

Directed/written by Jason Reitman.

I have been fairly pessimistic about reboots, remakes and sequels of old classics, but I have to say i have been simmeringly excited (as a big Ghostbusters fan) for this, which has come to a bubblingly over excitement after watching this trailer.

:D

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I had goosebumps on my goosebumps!!! (The Ecto 1 has got a damn gunner seat??? Come on!!!)

Travess

axelb likes this.
  3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That trailer is freakin' awesome! I also have goosebumps watching it! I want a ticket to that movie, and I want it **NOW** !!!

axelb likes this.
  4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Looks great! Needs more Gladiator references as they're driving through the wheat field though :D

axelb likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Is it just me... Or was the ghost of Theresa may in the background in that shot!

It looks really really good!

Mitch and axelb like this.
  6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I first heard about this from the mini-teaser where the Ecto-1 was seen in the shed. The listened to the Kevin Smith Podcast where he interviewed Reitman.

Seeing the trailer was a really nice surprise to see what was envisioned and discussed.

Cinematically, and stylistically it looks great and with enough mystery in the trailer to get me hooked (I think the kid is a Spengler)

Although, the controversy machine is slowly rumbling again.... (pre-hate for this due to ignoring the recent re-boot)

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Definitely a Spengler :D
    It may also be ignoring Ghostbusters 2 as it's ecto 1, so maybe, or maybe ecto 1A was just a different vehicle o_O

I think I'm in double digits watching the trailer now :oops::D

Grond likes this.
  8. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Just because I'm a big fan of both films, I happen to know there were three unique 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteors used: Ecto 1, Ecto 1A, and a stock model.

Sold on the trailer, and could not care less about all the whining. It's just like the whining about the reboot, or any reboot for that matter. Sometimes it seems like the web just makes critics even more prevalent and less palatable. Meanwhile, these same critics rarely or never make their own works of art, they just enjoy yapping all day about others'

axelb likes this.
  9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Ghostbusters was lightning in a bottle. A perfect collision of the best comic writers, director and actors of the time, with a concept that was novel in 1984.

Ghostbusters wasn't a great movie because of the Caddy, or the PKE meters, or whatever else they will stick in this as fan service, and it was pretty stale by the time they made Ghostbusters 2, let alone these new ones.

No goosebumps for me, but it does make me want to watch the original again.

10. Dead_pool

I love both of the original ones, but no 1 is a far far superior film!

axelb likes this.
  11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I mean, it's not a bad film, it's quite entertaining... but nothing can ever capture the novelty and freshness of the original.

We need new ideas! :D

12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Another fun fact about GB2 that few people seem to know. Wilhem Homburg played Viggo the Carpathian in the film.

[​IMG]

But did you know Viggo's voice is a dub? That's Max Von Sydow actually speaking the lines.

"On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of EVIL!"-

[​IMG]

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

But is it pronounced sid-ow or sid-ov? Hmmmm?

Grond likes this.
  14. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'm pretty sure it's the latter in the old country, but over here it gets changed to "w".

15. Dead_pool

axelb and Grond like this.
  16. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Wow, that was some eye-opening article. Not too surprising on retrospection: a lot of people are "crude bigoted" you-know-whats, especially when their father is a Nazi. I guess they cast that part perfectly then didn't they, and were also very wise to overdub his voice with Von Sydow's. Apparently he really did have that reputation, although I wonder how much of it was actor/heel as opposed to real villain.

Read This: Ghostbusters II’s Vigo The Carpathian was a real son of a bitch

Dead_pool likes this.