Getting started

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Cooler, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Ok everyone seems to be a bit shy at the moment. So lets get everyone talking. We now have 45 members and it is growing daily so lets hear from you.

What I'd like you to do is post on your style who you are and how long you have been training and just a bit about yourself.

If your style is not covered in the sections area let us know and we will add it for you.

I'll start.

Over the last 18 years I have studied Karate, Jeet Kun Do, Lau Gar, Hung Gar, Hung Fut, Tai Jutsu and Tang Lang.

I love the martial arts and I hope to meet lots of people from around the world through the boards.

Ok your turn.

2. waya

waya Valued Member

I have studied Shotokan for 21 years and am now training in TKD and Hapkido. The differences in the movement and philosophy between Karate and Hapkido are totally unfathomable.
    I have met a number of interesting people in online forums, some offline as well, and learned alot from the various posts.

3. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Well, rather than type a lot of stuff, I'll just give some URLs to where my information is already available :)

My personal bio: http://www.asianfightingarts.com (visit the "Our Staff" area, then click on the link for "Guru Mike Casto"

Information about Sikal can be found at http://www.asianfightingarts.com by visiting the "Sikal" section. And more details about it can be found in an article I wrote at: http://www.joerlansdale.com/shenchuan/instruct/casto.htm

Information abot Shen Chuan can be found at: http://www.joerlansdale.com/shenchuan/history/page1.html

There are also good interviews with the founder and seniors of Shen Chuan in the various newsletters archived at: http://www.joerlansdale.com/shenchuan/newsletter/contents.htm

Regards, Mike

4. Ghostsuit

Ghostsuit Designer

I'm totally new to the world of Martial Arts. I've never studied any style. Your probably asking why am I here then...I keep the site running and do most of the technical things required for the site.

I do have a fascination for the martial arts just never really had the chance/drive to go learn. I'm also baffled by the numerous different styles and want to learn more about them and read others view on which style they prefer and why?

So I’m looking forward to lots of interesting discussion on here. :D

5. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hi

My name is Melanie Box, I have been doing Shotokan for about a year now - I am a 6th Kyu (Green). I have recently taken up self defence as well, using movements from Shotokan.

I have developed a keen interest in the bunkai/oyo of movements, a passion for pressure points and self defence. I enjoy Kata especially and slowly building up the confidence to spar as well.

It doesn't take much to get into MA and I look forward to learning a lot from other members here also.

Melanie

6. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

My name's James Frost, and I studied Lau Gar Kung Fu for around 8 years. I also studied (albeit briefly) Ju-Jitsu, Kick Boxing, Wing Chun, Thai Boxing and Tai Kwon Do.

I'm keen to get back into Martial Arts having spent the last 4 years drinking beer in front of telly. If anyone can recommend a good club of any description in the Edinburgh (Scotland) area then let me know.

7. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2002
  8. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Howdy
    Im Charles Ruth Living in Banner Kentucky - USA
    I study and teach ITF/ITU Tae Kwon Do. - 1st Dan
    I got my black belt when i was 9 years old and quit cause i started moving around. I got re-certified a little over a year ago.

9. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi, funnily enough, Andy Murray is my real name.

Trained in Judo, Wing Chun, Kick Boxing, and something called Agonistics ( sort of JKD concept thingy ). My core art was Lau Gar, which I still teach presently. i am currently establishing a platform from which I can teach Chinese arts, with the emphasis on their self Defence applications.

I have had guest instructors in the Club before, so anyone passing thru the area get in touch. And no..you won't get paid.

I say what I mean, and I mean what I say. if you don,t like that, then come and kick my ass

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

My names Colin Stewart and i've been training in the martial arts for 12 years.

I practice Goshin Do Tai Jitsu, Shotokan/Wado Ryu Karate, Judo, Shodokan Aikido and have also trained a little bit in Tae Kwon Do, Tai Chi Chuan, Sombo/brazilian Ju Jitsu/Wrestling.

As you can see I'm a hopeless cross-training addict and I complement my training with weights, cardio-vascular work and exercise my will power by trying really hard to keep a healthy diet (I'm winning, honest :rolleyes: ).

I hope to learn a lot here (Especially about the chinesse styles)

Thanx

Col

11. hellfire

hellfire Valued Member

MY NAME IS LIAM GALLAGHER IM 28 AND IVE BEEN TRAINING FOR 17 YEARS. (WASNT ANY GOOD AT FOOTBALL)

I STARTED IN TRADITIONAL SHOTOKAN KARATE (SKI).
    THEN FELL IN WITH A BAD CROWD, KOREAN STYLISTS!!
    TRAINED IN ITF TAE KWON DO ON AND OFF, AND LOTS OF CROSS TRAINING WITH FREINDS.

HAVE FELL OUT OF THE HABIT IN THE LAST 18MONTHS DUE TO WORK COMITMENTS BUT GETTING BACK IN THE SADDLE BEFORE I GET TOO OLD!!!

12. waya

waya Valued Member

LOL @ Korean stylists = bad crowd

13. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

No we're not *LOL*

(grabs a club) *LOL* j/k
    hahah

-Chazz

14. Freeform

As we say in my Aikido club

"Support traditional Japanese martial arts, beat up a korean!"

Or in my Shotokan club

"Hey we stole what we know from the chinese, no fair you stealing from us!"

15. waya

waya Valued Member

Hate to see what y'all do to those of us that train both Korean and Japanese arts LOL

16. Freeform

We try to beat the sine wave out of you with our bokkens and get you to kihai in the proper JAPANESE fashion (well thats what they did to me whe they found out i was training in a dojang) LOL