Getting certified to teach Tai Chi

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by nefariusmdk, Jul 24, 2012.

1. nefariusmdk

nefariusmdk Valued Member

I've been practicing Tai Chi for three years now. I've assisted my instructor many times over in helping newcomers to the school learn Tai Chi basics. I'm just wondering, for all of you who are instructors here, how long did it take for you to be certified as Tai Chi instructors? My teacher has been pushing me to take the test, but from what it sounds like most GOOD instructors have at least 10+ years of Tai Chi practice for them.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. nefariusmdk

Basically, I'm asking because I want to leave my teacher and train somewhere else :/ he's a good teacher when he's teaching, but lately it's been draining coming by. There's a lot of negativity within him, and I keep missing classes because I just don't want to be there.

Also, there's a lot of inconsistencies among us students. He'll teach me one thing, and then he'll teach something different to 5 other people. When we meet together we're all in a loop, and he's like "you're both right and you're both wrong," and gives us soomething completely new all together. I know he's a good teacher, but I feel like i'm limiting my ability to learn more by not exposing myself to others. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

If you want to train with someone else then do so,you don't sound too happy. I would suggest addressing your concerns to your instructor,if you've spent three years with him you should be able to speak with him if things are deleterious to your motivation for practice/attendance.

Being an instructor is irrelevant when in another school unless it's in the same association.

How long to be recognized as instructor level? That really depends on what you're teaching. I wouldn't advise anyone to study with a three year student unless said student had a very good previous background in something before their TC study. I suppose if one is just teaching easy TC for exercise it could be ok.

If teaching beyond just "popular" TC,that is to say if teaching a full syllabus with forms,applications,nei gungs,sparring,push hands,weapons,etc-most three year students won't have enough of those things down well enough themselves to teach them. Probably closer to six years.

But I suppose I'm old fashioned as regards what I would expect in quality/skill/knowledge from a TC instructor,even if they only teach solo form and push hands.

Welcome to MAP,keep us informed. Hope things work out for you.

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I'll echo what El-Medico has said;

I don't think three years could be considered long enough to have developed a good skill level for you to begin passing on to others. Helping out in class is one thing, but the real teacher is always there to help you. If you're by yourself and you come across something you haven't experienced before, who do you go to? You don't have any backup in the form of a teacher, or your own knowledge.

Also, it depends on the quality of the class you are currently in. As the overall quality of tai chi classes varies from incredibly rubbish to spectacularly awesome (and everything in between), you can imagine that three years in one class is not automatically equal to three years in another. Where you are now might be 5 years worth of training for another school, or 6 months in another.

I'm also wondering 'instructor certification' - Wha??? I'm assuming, as El said, that this must just be an association thing? As far as I'm aware, there is no universal 'certification' for being able to teach tai chi. Some people can go away for a weekend, learn a short form and gain a "qualification" to teach it - other people train for decades and still don't feel ready to teach. What is 'certification'?? What does the test involve? Will your certificate be worth more than toilet paper, should you decide to move outside of your current association?

5. nefariusmdk

Thanks for the input guys. I'll definitely talk to my teacher about my concerns over how the class is going. He's a great teacher, and as far as applications, weight transfer, etc. he definitely knows what he's talking about (you just gotta keep picking at his brain for him to get to It).

I'm also conflicted about why I want to teach. I'd love to quit my desk job and do this full time like him and many others. But yeah it would be a great disservice to teach Tai Chi poorly. Thank you.