Getting back into it - Toronto

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by newgymer1981, Oct 22, 2018.

1. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

Hi.

So after taking close to 2 years off Muay Thai, I've decided to get back into it and also wanted to do some BJJ as well.

Hoping for your expertise.

1. First off, is it okay to do No Gi BJJ if there are fundamentals and they have a good curriculum?

2. Can you all give me opinions of the below gyms:

a) Primal MMA - I can get an all inclusive membership for about $180/month. The problem is it's a bit far from where I live, but close to work and the times work perfectly for me. However, I have to pay for parking at work (I usually take transit and transit is way cheaper). They have a BJJ 101 class (gi) in the morning and a 5:30pm Muay Thai class, which works to get me home at a reasonable time. They also have kickboxing classes + bootcamps and yoga. However, they don't have beginner no gi classes.

BJJ & MMA Gym | Leslieville Toronto | Muay-Thai | Boxing | Kids Class'

b) Open Mat MMA
    Couldn't get exact pricing, but I gather it'd be around $199/month for all inclusive. They also have some 7 am BJJ classes, but only 2 times a week, but they have beginner no gi classes. The BJJ classes are at at good time, but the Muay Thai classes are a bit late for me.

c) Toronto No Gi
    Toronto Jiu Jitsu - Toronto No Gi - Toronto, Ontario

Don't know much about it (I've heard it's around $150/month), but the Muay Thai classes work for me, however the no gi BJJ classes are a bit late (7:30 to 8:30). It's late because it takes me close to an hour to get home.

d) C4 MMA
    MMA | Ontario | C4 MMA & Fitness
    This place just opened up. It's about 15 minutes from where I live and around $160/month. The problem I have is that it seems to have limited classes (3 BJJ class times, 1 Muay Thai time, 2 wrestling, 1 MMA - not counting their boxing classes, but they are usually during the day time) and all the evening classes are fairly late (going till 10). It's $160/month.

What do you all think? I'm currently on a 7 day free trial with Primal which expires this week. They have an option to extend the trial to 30 days for $30. However, if I sign up before the 7 day period, I will get an extra month.

Do you think I should wait and try all the other places? Or sign up? I've done the MT classes and they are pretty good, but not the BJJ yet.

Thanks

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

1. I'm assuming you mean doing no-gi exclusively and the answer is absolutely. Do what you want. Personally I think wearing a jacket 6-8 months of the year gi has some great SD utility, but again
    2. Open mat is the best in terms of reputation. I live in the 6ix myself so if you want to give me an idea of where you live I might be able to recommend something else even.

Try everything and see what you like. Don't let anyone suck you in with the high pressure sales tactics. Saving a bit of money on a place you like less is not a good deal.

axelb likes this.
  3. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

Thanks. I actually live in Mississauga but I work downtown.

As long as it's TTC accrssibac and somewhat close to the Bloor line, I'm willing to travel and looking for both MT and BJJ, and also wanting 7 or 730 am classes.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

It sounds like you're married to that schedule so for early the best you're going to get is going to Old School Muay Thai for their 6:45 classes, but they're exclusively Thai Boxing. No one else really offers morning classes in anything. Then going somewhere else for bjj in the evening I recommend Toronto BJJ as they're reputedly best in the city.

The only other option really is to either sacrifice one of the two styles, or alter your availability to train.

5. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

Thanks SWC Sifu Ben! Really appreciate the help. The reason I want morning classes is because I do strength training in the evenings in Mississauga and like the people at that gym.

I don't want to stay in Toronto until 8 or 9 and get home at 10. It's a bit late for me. Getting old here (late 30's) lol.

6. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

Oh hey, do you know anything about 6ix MMA?

7. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

Also, where do you practice if you don't mind me asking?

8. SWC Sifu Ben

I don't actually.

At the moment, nowhere because I'm rehabbing a nasty injury.

9. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member

Oh that sucks. What happened? Where did you train before?

10. newgymer1981

newgymer1981 Member