Getting a Judo License

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Pretty In Pink, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Thinking about getting one. Attended a Judo class and the instructor says I should give competing a go. I told her I wouldn't mind but if I did I really wouldn't want to be submitting people. It would just be a fruitless victory. She says I probably have enough judo to run through the ranks quickly enough to where it will be competitive.

As for the class itself, I rather enjoyed it. It was waaaay more lax than any other judo club I've been too. Still strict but not as big on ridiculous speed repetition. The pace was slow enough where I picked up one or two things.

Some of you may remember I was training at a uni club previously. Whilst I enjoyed the energy and pace, I didn't learn as much as whenever we were sparring everyone was going full ham because it was VERY competition orientated.

So yeah, might compete in judo. Not sure yet though. Really liked the class and lactually learming a bit more.

axelb and Mushroom like this.
  2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

What's a judo "license"? (Apologies if that sounds dumb, but I've never heard of it.)

3. Pretty In Pink

Like a karate license or boxing license. Just means you can compete and be graded.

4. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Old fashioned name for membership of the British Judo Association.

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ohhh. Thanks. Right, over here we would call it "membership." (A license is usually something you get from the government. That's why it sounded strange to my ears.) For judo, kendo, boxing, and swimming, and I'm sure other things as well, to compete in a sanctioned amateur competition you have to be a "member" of the respective national organization.

6. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

Go through the instructor? If you're attending classes anyway you'll more than likely be asked to get some form of membership (especially since usually it's an insurance policy as well). Get a form, fill it out, pay your dues, wait for nice little faux leather book, that's pretty much all there is to it.

7. PointyShinyBurn

He wasn't actually asking that, but this being the 21st Century and such you can do it on the website: Apply/Renew Online - British Judo

VoidKarateka and Pretty In Pink like this.
  8. PointyShinyBurn

What BJJ belt are you? I've only competed in Judo once, as a BJJ Purple, and from that experience I'd much rather fight a higher division next time than do a lower one while avoiding newaza.

9. Pretty In Pink

Purple belt. I'm not great at throwing though. Probably a belt or two after white. It would be perfectly compete time standing up.

10. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

Ah I got that after I wrote it (I read out of context a bit). Goes to show how long ago I last had to actually apply for a license! Now I just pay my yearly renewal and *poof* done.

That said, my earlier point still stands if you're not confident in your throwing. When I did Judo the emphasis put on me was to score points primarily from throws so it may be worth sticking with the dojo and going through that as a path to competition? Never hurts to have a club behind you going in to these things.

11. Pretty In Pink

Yeah if I do compete it will be under the club I'm training at of course. But I need my BJA license first.

12. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Wait, you get them in faux leather?
    Mine are paper only. God, Germans really are chep :mad:
    :D

I'm pretty sure here you can compete after getting your yellow belt.
    For that again you have to be a member of a club.
    Interesting how things are called and handled at other places.

13. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Glad to hear you're giving the judo a go, it will complement your BJJ well!

All the Judo clubs I trained at had a lot faster pace randori and newaza to BJJ, this feeds back from the time limit on competition. Either way the focus on randori will give you great addition to your skillset :)