Geoff Thompson's Dead or Alive

Discussion in 'Karate' started by magpie, Oct 23, 2009.

1. magpie

magpie Valued Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

It's a good book, that's been out a long time.

I'd be surprised if anyone you've discussed Karate with on this forum hasn't already read it. :)

3. nbf79

nbf79 Valued Member

I was lucky enough to meet Geoff Thompson at a Watch My Back book signing. He's a lovely guy and It is among the best books I have ever read.

4. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I think he is part of the same group as Mr Abernethy - British Combat Association?

As far as self protection is concerned, seems to make sense. Not sure what his Karate credentials are, if he has any at all.

Gary

5. John Titchen

I think it is more the case that Iain Abernethy is part of the same group as Geoff Thompson. :)

But a little google Fu , or even MAP Search Do could prevent embarrassment regarding Karate credentials.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90145&highlight=geoff+thompson
    http://blog.geoffthompson.com/about

6. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Agreed, one man that does not really need an introduction when it comes to Karate

I enjoyed the 3 second fighter and the fence books as well

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

His "Real XXXXX" series was interesting too.

I think BCA is Peter Consterdine and Geoff Thompson? Mr Consterdine is another I'd love to train with. Might make that happen next year :)

So, bareknuckle street fight between GT and Rory Miller? Place your bets :D

Mitch

8. John Titchen

I was going to do a firearms course with Peter Consterdine last year in Prague, but it got cancelled. :(

Unfortunately my health and consequently fitness aren't up to the pace of most BCA courses. :mad:

9. Mitch

Sounds like a challenge for us John, why don't you come along and we'll laugh at each other trying to keep up? :)

Mitch

10. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

JWT Thanks for trying to spare my blushes, but my post was somewhat tongue in cheek.

Just interested in who graded him to 6th Dan, was it Enoeda?

Gary

11. d0ugbug

Yeah Geoff is BCA

JWT was that a small arms course you was going to do?

12. John Titchen

Hi Gary,

Not sure whether it was Enoeda. Academic really as his grades seem to be no more legitimate than other grades according to current politics and the post Enoeda JKA position on KUGB karate grades. Not that I would ever view JKA grades as being any more 'special' than any other Shotokan org.

D0ugbug
    Yes. :)

13. d0ugbug

Not wanting to hijack but if you still want to do a small arms course I maybe able to get a contact for you. Or come clay shooting with me next year ;)

14. John Titchen

:topic: Thanks. I'm already instructor qualified on a fair number of automatic rifle types, just wanted to improve my familiarity with hand guns - a look at the subject from the other side of the fence as it were.

We can talk more via e mail. :)

15. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I disagree ;).

I know very little about the "Japanese" grade registration thing, but as I understand it this has possibly happened in Wado too - but I don't think that necessarily detracts from grade standards.

I have absolutely no problem with people like Mr Abernethy and Mr Thompson with regard to their method of teaching self protection (and its links to traditional karate), but I stuggle to undetstand why these people think that Japanese "Shogo-esque" rank should still come into play.

Perhaps you could enlighten me.

Gary

16. John Titchen

Gary - I don't understand what you are asking.

Are you asking why Karate organisations that no longer have Japanese heads use Dan rankings? My answer would be because that is the commonly accepted format to denote time served, experience and ability in Karate.

Are you asking why they list their Karate grades with reference to BCA? I would imagine it is because it is part of their experience, just as bodyguarding or door work is part of their experience.

What I am saying is that it makes no difference to me whether a 6th dan is awarded from Japan or not with regard to Shotokan, whose founder had his Dan grades awarded by non Shotokan foreign martial artists, and who held the rank of 5th Dan. There are plenty of very good non Japanese Shotokan organisations out there with senior grades and I rate these orgs as highly (or higher) as I do the JKA.

17. d0ugbug

Is it Rocky 2 where it ends with Rocky and Apollo about hit each other on the chin? Thats the image those two brings together

18. Mitch

Where's Moi with his photoshop skills when we need him? :D

Mitch

19. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

About to play Halo with Dougbug. Try it tomorrow

20. fred123

fred123 Valued Member

Hi,

I hope this doesnt come across negative as my intentions are purely objective.when mr thompson and mr abernethy names were mentioned i knew with certainty that gary would come in with objections to this two men.

these two men seem to upset the general wado community as they have geared their methods towards more generic karate methods but have a wado upbringing.

i dont think that anyone well below mr thompsons ability and rank should comment on his credentials.As far as i know mr thompson doesnt call himself wado so it doesnt concern wado what he does with his body.
    im just saying it as i see it.