Genetics and Obesity- NYT article

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cuchulain82, May 14, 2007.

1. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Fair enough, seems pretty reasonable .

2. ReeceLightning

ReeceLightning Valued Member

lol jimmy carrs good at the fat jokes he said something like "60lbs? thats like throwing a deck chair off the titanic!" about someone off that celebrity fat club or whatever.

i liked it

3. cxw

cxw Valued Member

What would be really interesting would be a study which compared the amount of calores a person eats over a couple of months, versus what that persons estimated calorie intake.

My punt is that the skinny people eat less than they think, and the fat people eat more than they think.

4. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

Theres heaps of studies that agree with you.
    I see this everyday being a sports dietitian. Skinny runts will tell you "Oh i ate so much today!" and their food diary says they ate 4 biscuits. And vice versa for larger people.
    People are crap at estimating portion sizes also. Try it yourself at home if you have a set of scales. Estimate how much a steak weighs, and then actually weigh it. Even harder is something like peas or beans. You can't rely on peoples judgements on how much they eat, because they are almost always wrong.

5. strider

strider Valued Member

dude what the guy said about obesity and genetics is right.
    pavaroti will never be thin while marc whalberg will never lose his rips.

plus losing weight goes back to the type of body food intake control and training,if you hav a low metabolism u have to work really hard to keep on burning fat and stay thin,and thats a fact.

"And rather then people working on diet they should make a program or a pill that works on the will power", hence the saying " when there is a will there is a way".

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

If Pavarotti really wanted to lose weight (I suspect he probably doesn't - and fair play to him if he's happy with the way he is), he could if he stuck to a regime of good diet and exercise. Granted, he may never be an underwear model, but he could certainly become thin if he was prepared to put in the effort.

And Marc Wahlberg could easily lose his "rips" by jamming an extra cheeseburger down his throat every day and being less active.

I agree that your genetics will play a part in how thin / fat you are, but it's only one factor amongst many. Some people may have to work harder, but that doesn't mean it's impossible for them. Plus, bear in mind that you can increase your metabolism by building muscle.

Not sure I understand you here. Is this a serious comment? I'd love a pill that gave me more will power. I'd probably buy shares in the company! However, if I've understood you right, it does seem to contradict what you're saying above about Pavarotti.

7. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

pavaroti can be thin, with a great exercise and diet regime.
    anyone can get fat, that is a no brainer :rolleyes:

oh god i'm laughing :D

8. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

did you even read the article thats not at all what it said, It just said that its much *harder* are therefore requires more effort for "genetically fat" people to loose and retain lost weight and for "genetically thin" people to gain and retain gained weight, than it is for either group to maintain their genetically pre-disposed weight.

Your statement shows a huge lack of forethought... its not hard to think of examples of method actors (ususally as "ripped" as Markey Mark) gaining loads of weight for a role. De Niro for raging Bull, Brando for... well lots of things...