Gene LeBelle's Grappling World, the Encyclopedia of Finishing Holds

Discussion in 'MMA' started by SteveJKDUK, Nov 11, 2003.

1. SteveJKDUK

SteveJKDUK New Member

Anyone got this book? Is it any good?

2. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

I have it. I bought it for the brief time when I did Pro. Wrestling. The problem was I didn't get chance to try out my finishing holds because I was too busy trying to break other peoples necks with a botched suplex :S

But I think its a good book, full of pictures and other things that would be very useful for a grappler.

-T

3. SteveJKDUK

SteveJKDUK New Member

You were a pro wrestler? Thats sounds fun (but painful at the same time)!!

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

It (Enc. Finishing Holds) is a very good book.
    I was sent a copy of to review a while back for my website (Which I haven't got around to doing yet-arrgghhh Backlog).

It is a vast trove of knowledge, but can seem very expensive to someone who is perhaps just curious or partially interested, as I believe it sells for approx 35 UKP.

Also it is so vast that you'll probably need a lifetime to try out all the holds etc in it.

As an alternative purchase, or maybe as a primer can I suggest that you check out 'Submission Fighting Techniques' by Steven S. Iverson. There is a review here:
    http://www.martialartsadvice.com/cat.php?cat=4

IMO this is a very good book on the same kind of subject matter, except it deals with Positions, Reversals and Sequences and not random Finishing Holds and is more suitable for someone who wants a book to use as a direct learning tool to improve their grappling.

5. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

I went to 2 classes. There were only four students in the class (inc. me), and the other three were from the same family. When they didn't turn up I had to go home, because there was no-one to wrestle with.

The teaching was very good, but the other students had done 2 years previous training at another place, so I was really far behind. Instead of practicing how to breakfall etc. I was pushed into doing suplexes - in karate terms, thats like learning a high level kata such as Bassai-Dai without being about to do an inside block.

The teacher was very good though.

However, if I were to do it again, I would train in Amateur Wrestling for a few years. Thats the best way in.

6. SteveJKDUK

SteveJKDUK New Member

Thanks for that. I believe postional sense is important in grappling, and I can work on that in training. I would however, like to look into submissions from the various positions, which was why I am considering buying the Gene LeBell book.

I will look into buying that other book because like you said, the Gene LeBell one isn't cheap!