Genbukan Takagi Yoshin Ryu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Fudo-shin, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

Nice video by Kyoshi Wideman:TYR

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhat2Rg5p_Q"]Hontai Takagi Yoshin Ryu Demonstration by Canadian Genbukan - YouTube[/ame]

2. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Valued Member

That was a very nice demo, thanks for sharing.
    Aric

3. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

Good stuff.

4. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

nice and crisp. jes' the way ah like 'em! :hat:

5. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Nice demo

It may be interesting to explore some of the differences between say the kamae and distances used for the basic waza shown here and those used in the buj basic waza

6. Troy Wideman

Troy Wideman Valued Member

Hello Everyone,

Hi Duncan, good question. The line I was showing was Ishitani den, if I would have showed Mizuta den for the same patterns there would be some differences. Thank you everyone for the kind words about the demo. I do have to thank my uke: Brian Kienitz, he is one of my higher ranked students and been training a long time. He is one of the few people I have trust in to receive some of the throws.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

7. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

The difference is that this is done properly.

8. Dunc

Hi Troy

I was particularly interested to see the kamae with open fingers. Do you know what the background is to this (or strengths/weaknesses vs other approaches)?

I'm only familiar with the Buj's approach to TYR so would love it if anyone could shed some light on how the branches differ

9. Troy Wideman

Hi Duncan,

This is a kamae within the Kokusai Jujutsu curriculum, just to show zanshin at the end of a pattern. As to its benefit over other kamae's, I think that can come from a personal preferrence as well. Usually most of the patterns in Takagi Yoshin Ryu are done from shizen or natural position.

If I was to demonstrate the differences between the mizuta den and ishitani den, some of the differences would be very small, where as some of those patterns would be completely different.
    One of the biggest components of Takagi Yoshin ryu is constant zanshin, and focus through the whole technique to the end. The feeling is that, anytime the person can come and you are ready.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

10. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

Excellent demo, Wideman Kyoshi.

11. Dunc

Thanks for this, very clear and chimes with my understanding. It's nice to see the expression of zanshin too however one chooses to do it

12. garth

garth Valued Member

Deleted

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  13. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Does kokusai jujutsu include foreign jujutsu styles like bjj or shuai jaio in it?

14. Troy Wideman

Hello,

The kokusai Jujutsu is a collection of waza from the various ryu ha.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

15. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

I think he's asking just why it's referred to as "Kokusai Jujutsu" ("International Jujutsu") if it's based solely on local styles of jujutsu.

16. Please reality

Well yes, that would be the next logical question. I thought he was adding some Chinese styles. Guess not.

17. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

The KJJR is to promote traditional Japanese jujutsu internationally, not teach "international" styles of jujutsu. The only Chinese martial art taught in the Genbukan or KJJR is baguazhang, which is called Chugoku Kempo.

18. Troy Wideman

Hello,

Not sure what is the big deal. He choose the name Kokusai Jujutsu, his reason for it, is his reason for it.

The video was to show the ishitani den line of Takagi yoshin Ryu. This is one style that is featured quite a lot in Kokusai jujutsu. It is shown at the end of each kyu and there are also some techniques pulled from the system within the kyu waza techniques.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

19. Please reality

True that, and a name is just that. You do have to admit though, it is a pretty odd name. If it was something Hatsumi sensei did, I could already hear the people arguing about it online and behind closed doors.:rolleyes: I was just curious and my question has been answered, thanks for that.

20. Please reality

That's another interesting naming convention, usually Japanese people just say Hakkesho(anybody know how to write a _ over the o?).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011