Genbukan-Gikan Ryu-Tai Kai 2011

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Fudo-shin, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

2. Koyoku

Koyoku I enjoy pudding!

3. noname

noname Valued Member

:|

So, what if someone wants to attend and they are not in the Genbukan.....

4. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Holy....hell.....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Its a good time to be alive.

5. Banpen Fugyo

Become a member, lol

6. Koyoku

Koyoku I enjoy pudding!

The way Soke has been doing things so far, is that a person with a Genbukan kyu grade, can try to test for Kirigami (short or cut paper) and people with Shodan or above can try for Shoden Menkyo.

I am not sure ifyou have to be a member to attend the Japan Tai kai though. But personally, I sure hope that it is a rule!

best,

7. noname

noname Valued Member

:|

"I am not sure ifyou have to be a member to attend the Japan Tai kai though. But personally, I sure hope that it is a rule!"

why?

8. Koyoku

Koyoku I enjoy pudding!

Seriously?

9. noname

noname Valued Member

:)

Yes seriously.

10. Banpen Fugyo

cuz its extremely privileged information.... Who/where else will you learn the entire system of Gikan ryu?

11. dra_uk

dra_uk Lost in Translation

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I wonder if any members here attended? Obviously I know the information is privileged, but if there's anything you can pass along, I would be very interested to hear what you have to share.

Cheers,

Dan

12. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

The Tai Kai was postponed because of the radiation issues in Japan, and new date hasn't been announced yet.

13. dra_uk

dra_uk Lost in Translation

Many thanks for the response.

14. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

October 21-28, 2012 (arrival date 21st and leave date is 28th). There hasn't been a decision on if it will be in Okinawa or Chiba yet.

15. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

I had heard Okinawa was a possibility.

16. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Exactly, and all done and dusted ready for testing in 3 and a half days!

I wonder how long it took the old warriors to learn the entire system?

17. Cable Focus

Cable Focus Banned Banned

1 day...

This notion that that 'the old warriors' spent their lifetime learning martial arts is a fallacy. In the warring feudal days of Japan, where most young men didn't expect to live past their 40's, the average next in line successor was probably dumped with the written codices of the system and a short and sweet week to month with the grandmaster to get a feel of the system.

You don't need mastery to use something, just a base understanding. Everything that comes after is just polishing the rough edges.

18. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Lol

19. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

The entire ryu-ha will not be taught in 3 days. Only the shoden level will be taught during the Tai Kai, and that can only be tested for by black belt levels.

If anything it is all a gift. This is not a ryu-ha that will be opened up for further study by us regular Genbukan folks. Tanemura Soke has passed this ryu-ha to his son, and I believe he'll be the only one to receive the entire school.

20. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

And you know this because of your extensive knowledge of traditional Japanese martial arts, Japanese history and a deep understanding of Japanese culture?