Gen. Choi's book

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Andy Cap, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

What was the first year of publication in English for Gen Choi's first book on Tae Kwon Do? I saw one advertised for $170 and they said it has a publishing date of 1963, but I thought 1968 was the first English edition.

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Are you talking his book or his set of encyclopedias?

3. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I am speaking of his book.

4. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Taekwon-Do Art od Self Defense...

AndyCap,

I posses the first english text written by General Choi Hong Hi. Having verified the answer to your inquiry, the copywrite date is 1965!

TAEKWON!
    Spookey

5. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Spookey -

Thnaks. I know you to be a reliable source, so I can figure this guy is smoking crack - lol. Do you know the value of the book? I don't mean intrinsic value, but market value? I am hoping to get a copy, and hope not to pay too much.

-AC.

6. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

Yep.. 1965.

His Enclyopedia's (15 volume set) was first printed in 1983.. I have the original 1983 versions.. which have much nicer paper than the copies that came afterwards.

7. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Yudanja - Thnx

Was there an abridged version of his encyclopedia set too?

8. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Yes. The Condensed Encylopedia. But you're better off buying the Legacy CDs nowadays anyways, unless you want that nostalgic feel.

9. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

I like books for the simple fact i can take them anywhere with me... and always look thru them.

No matter how good CD's and DVD's get.. in my opinion, you cant beat a book :)

10. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Well, this is true. But I've got my laptop :p

11. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Market Value...

AndyCap,

You should expect to pay as much as $200 or more dollars for this book (and that is a steal based on past years pricing)!

Another great read is the 1972 Full Size ( it is the original "Condensed Encyclopedia" which was created well before the completion of the 15 volume set) book titled "Taekwon-Do the Korean Art of Self-Defense". It looks much like the current condenced accept doesnt include the new patterns, uniforms, or belts. The coolest thing about it...the binding is bright ORANGE!

TAEKWON!
    Spooks

12. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Spookey -

Thanks. I would have bought it on the spot, but he insisted it was published in 1963, and I was sure that was not possible. So, I didn't trust him enough to buy it sight unseen.
    My instructor has the large book too. I definitely want to get that. I have done some thumbing through it and know I could spend hours and hours reading it.

--AC.

13. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I would rather have the books as well. Easier to read and nostalgic value. I like buying old used books - because I always like to imagine that some venerable master had owned it b4 me - lol.

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'd kill for a set of his encyclopedias. And someone was right, CD's and DVD's just aren't the same as holding a book in your hand.

15. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

True. It's all the same to me, since it's still authentic General Choi merchandise, and they contain the same stuff. Guess I'm just not worried if I'm holding it in my hand.

Not to mention that the CDs are cheaper, but to each their own.

16. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

I bought my copy of 1965 edition through Bookfinder and it was really a great offer since I paid only about US$ 50.00 - no dust jacket and the cover is a bit spoiled, but the rest is in a great shape. I also have the 1972 edition, but in German version. This is another special addition to my library since I had it autographed by General Choi during his visit to Poland some 12 or 13 years ago. Both are very interesting, especially since it's possible to see the changes in the ITF TKD over the years - different patterns, changes in techniques, new doboks.

Regards

Gizmo

17. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I have the 5th edition condensed encyclopedia. I've heard you can't get the 15 vol set anymore, just the cds. Is that true? My dad said he'd get it for passing my black belt (ages away yet though). I'll be devastated if I can't get them

18. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Are you talking about the book called Tae Kwon Do and I? If your looking for it it's for sale on ebay.co.uk they'll probably post internationally though. Starting bid's £10. No bids yet

19. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Just be sure that if you do own condensed encyclopedia that you keep up with the changes made in various patterns sections and that modifications are made from the previous editions duue also to typographical errors.
    I've noticed a few general typographical corrections made in the 1999 from the 1995 edition.

http://www.comdo.com/encyclopedia.htm

20. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

As far as I've been told, the full 15 volume Encyclopedia is out of print, and due for another reprinting soon. I may be wrong, though.