Gems of the Bujinkan - A Farewell Message from bencole

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by bencole, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bencole

bencole Valued Member

Effective today, I am leaving all online communities, including Martial Arts Planet, Martial Talk, and BudoSeek.

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of joining Chris Carbonaro, Oliver Martin and Anthony Lucas for the opening of the new Tanuki Dojo in Long Branch, New Jersey. I was *VERY* impressed with what Chris and Oliver have managed to create since returning from Japan. (Note: Both have 3+ years in Japan learning the basics, speaking with Soke and the Shihan in their native tongue, grasping the “feeling”, and building a solid toolbox of Taijutsu.)

The feeling of the dojo was *EXACTLY* the same feeling as being in Japan, and I wondered why more dojo did not feel this way?

The answer is simple: Too few instructors with sufficient exposure to Japan are teaching, and they are unwilling to admit that they don’t know what the hell they are doing.

This explains the various “identity crises” that seem to pop up every five years or so.

In the mid 1980s, a whole bunch of Shidoshi were convinced that Shoto Tanemura was teaching “the true way” and jumped ship from the Bujinkan to the Genbukan.

Then, in the mid 1990s, a whole bunch of Shidoshi were convinced that Fumio Manaka was teaching “the true way” and jumped ship from the Bujinkan to the Jinenkan.

Now, in the mid 2000s, a whole bunch of Shidoshi are convinced that Kacem Zoughari (under Tetsuji Ishizuka) is teaching “the true way.” It is only a matter of time until these two individuals also leave the Bujinkan, I predict….

The cycle will continue, and in the mid-2010s, we shall see same thing happen again. It’s only natural; this is the teaching of Shinden Fudo Ryu….

The reason for these departures (in all cases) is simple: Each of these teachers is telling people that he is teaching “the true way” and not enough people out there understand Hatsumi-sensei’s budo well enough to know that these claims are simply not true.

They look at Hatsumi-sensei’s budo and all they see is “mush.” Then they figure that they can just do mush and things will work out.

They do not see the control and basics that lay at the heart of Soke’s movement.

So when they do mush, and things do not work out, they blame Hatsumi-sensei or “the Bujinkan” rather than blame themselves.

If you train correctly, as Soke instructs, then your budo will not suck!!!

It’s a very simple solution to a generation-old problem.

The fact is that there are tremendously talented people in the Bujinkan who are grounded in the basics of the Bujinkan, but sadly, the people who need guidance the most do not know who these instructors are. As a result, those who need guidance become attracted to anything that glitters. And, to date, everything that had glittered has oxidized when exposed to the world outside of Soke.

As a service to the online Bujinkan community, I have decided to provide a list of the “hidden gems” of the Bujinkan. These individuals are, in general, relatively or completely unknown to the larger Bujinkan community. Some individuals that I thought everyone would know got me blank stares when I mentioned their names in conversations. Thus the list….

Despite their lack of “brand name,” they hold some of the largest pieces of the Bujinkan puzzle within them, in my opinion.

Note: This list *ONLY* contains individuals whose budo I, bencole, *PERSONALLY* have assessed. I shall continue to add names to the list as I come across individuals who bring something special to the table. This list most certainly is incomplete, but it will only include the “best of the best.”

This list will never become “politicized”; it will remain blunt and honest. As evidence, I have even included a few people who I personally do not like. :p Whether I like them or not does not change the fact that their budo is good, and that they understand Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu as Hatsumi-sensei teaches.

I highly recommend that people seek these individuals out, either by visiting their dojo or by inviting them out for a seminar.

HIDDEN GEMS OF THE BUJINKAN
    compiled by Benjamin Cole

UNITED STATES
    • Michael Asuncion – Michigan – Moves identically to Nagase-sensei. Best timing that I’ve ever seen!
    • Bill Atkins – Northern California – Frighteningly good!
    • Chris Carbonaro – New Jersey – Started his training in Japan with Kamioka-sensei, then went on to train with Nagato-sensei and Hatsumi-sensei. Very solid movement.
    • Dale Seago – Northern California – Spooky movement! His job is to keep others alive, not just himself.
    • Aric Keith – Washington/Oregon border– Solid, solid Budo.
    • Oliver Martin – New York City – Moves identically to Nagato-sensei. Uncanny!!! Solid budo.
    • Luke Molitor – Texas – The only Shidoshi qualified to teach Bujinkan sword in the U.S., in my opinion. Personal student of three Shihan : Nagato-sensei, Nagase-sensei, and Someya-sensei.
    • Jeff Mueller – Maryland – Hands down, best ukemi in the United States! Wow!
    • Daniel Weidman – Southern California – Solid Budo and a superb athlete!

JAPAN-BASED
    • Bruce Appleby – Japan/UK – Small and light, but very solid Budo. Extensive translation experience at Hombu.
    • Robin Doenicke – Japan/Australia – Tall, but light. Great footwork/legwork!
    • Shawn Gray – Japan/Canada – Movement looking more and more like Shiraishi-sensei every day.
    • Larry Hamilton – Japan/US – Deep knowledge of both Budo and Japanese.
    • Rod Hodgkins – Japan/Australia – Big as a bear; light as a feather.
    • Paul Masse – Japan/US – Wow!!! Best foreigner in Japan, imo.
    • Craig Olson – Japan/Canada – Solid budo. Extensive translation experience at Hombu.
    • Doug Wilson – Japan/US – Solid budo. Extensive translation experience at Hombu.

EUROPE
    • Andrew Young – Scandinavia somewhere – “If it is frustrating, it is because you are learning something new.” :) Extensive translation experience at Hombu.
    • Renan Perpina – Spain – Light as a feather, but packs a big punch!
    • Sveneric Bogsater – Sweden – Frighteningly good!
    • Arnaud Cousergue – France – Frighteningly good!
    • Lubos Pokorny – Czech Republic – Frighteningly good!

OCEANIA
    • Greg Alcorn – Australia – Solid Budo.
    • Tim Bathurst – Australia – Solid Budo. Extensive translation experience at Hombu.
    • Ed Lomax – Australia – Solid Budo.

You would be wise to train with any of these individuals…and then *PRACTICE* what they teach you, rather than going back to what you do normally.

*THIS* is the single largest problem with the current state of affairs in the Bujinkan, imo: PEOPLE DON’T PRACTICE WHAT THEY ARE TAUGHT!!!

And this has resulted in craptastic movement throughout the world, and waves of insecurity that manifest with a “new messiah” every five years.

If you train correctly, there will be no need for new messiahs….

Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is an “integrated body system” (much like Systema) and *NOT* a “technique-based art” (like most Koryu).

People are confused by this because, on the surface, the Bujinkan has “techniques” like Koryu schools, so people naturally believe that it is a “technique-based art.”

This is not the case at all.

The techniques exist to teach an integrated body system.

*THIS* is the focus of Hatsumi-sensei’s teachings, so *THIS* is what we need to train to understand.

I would like to wrap up with the following anecdote from training at Nagato Dojo in Japan.

One day during training, Nagato-sensei said to me, “Ben. Your foot is in the wrong place. Move it over there.”

I slid my foot. “Here?” I asked.

“No. There.” Nagato answered.

I moved my foot the place Nagato pointed, then asked, “Why here?”

Nagato answered, “Because that’s where your foot should be.”

I nodded and continued training.

About two months later, Nagato-sensei again told me to move my foot to a different location. I did, and then I (dumbly) asked, “Why?” again.

Nagato-sensei again said, “Because that’s where your foot should be.”

Over time, I came to understand that was where my foot should be, and I didn’t need to ask why. It was evident in the progress of my budo.

My teacher told me what I should do, and I did it. And my budo began to improve as a result.

The Bujinkan would benefit at large from more people doing what “good” instructors tell them to do, rather than nodding their heads during the seminar, and the reverting back to the same poor practices with which they’ve diseased themselves….

With the individuals on this list, there is no longer a reason to have crap Taijutsu anymore.

Any one of them can cure you of your “crap Taijutsu disease,” if you will allow them to treat you as a patient.

I shall continue to contribute to www.BujinMag.com, and will do my best to post thoughts to my blog (blog.bushinbooks.com).

People interested in the budo of Hatsumi-sensei can contact me at the email listed on my BujinMag articles or via my blog.

Best of luck with your training!

-ben

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Bon voyage ...

Smurf

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Bye. ( Drama queen )

4. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Good luck Ben, we'll keep in touch personally and i promise by Skype when i get back to the UK :D

Thanks for all your posts and insights

5. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Bye Ben!

Good luck.

6. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Just had to add that last little jab, huh? (Petty)

I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank you Ben, I've found most of your posts to be extremely helpful, especially when I first began researching places to train, with reference to all the previously debunked(mainly by you) neo-ninjers.(Sorry for getting you mixed up with Ben Jones, but c'mon man, who's named "Ben" anymore anyways :D )

While many here(myself included) may have had a problem a time or two with your debating ettiquite, your posts were well thought out and for the most part, clearly articulated with your detractors clear understanding being the ultimate goal.(until recently, but who can blame you)

I hope that one of these days we'll get the chance to meet at a seminar or something. I'll be at the 2007 Omaha Tanuki Dojo Keiko Kai with Chris Carbonaro in Oct.

Best of luck Mr. Cole

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Sorry to see you go Ben. Best of luck.

8. MagokoroDojo

MagokoroDojo Banned Banned

So how did I manage to make Ben's list but still be someone who tries his best to follow Ishizuka Sensei and Kacem?

Anyway, I feel that your above predicition is completely unfounded and off base.

Regardless, take care Ben.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  9. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

See ya Ben!
    We've had our ups and downs...but I'll really miss our discussions and debates...

Thanks for that List too...It's exactly what we needed to all better ourselves!
    (Note sarcasm)

Have a great one!
    Bye!

*Runs along side the train, waving hankerchief*
    Bye! Bye!

10. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

Maybe the problem is that everytime people start saying one particular sensei is held in such high esteem, that the jealousy of others forms a rancid bitterness so bad it eventually forces those people to leave the bujinkan.

Why Ben has an issue with Ishizuka sensei and Kacem being good is beyond me...

11. Lily

Lily Valued Member

I love that Ben has posted this 'list' that is based on his experience/opinions and done a runner.

12. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Maybe now that he won't be spending so much time online, he can go and stop looking at the surface area of koryu and more into the heart of it. Aye, techniques are a basis of movement, that movement leads to feeling and underlying principles.

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The way some people treat signing off of MAP you'd think that being a member here came with a tiara and a silky banner.

I mean seriously... I can see Ben Cole now... tears and mascara streaming down his face as he posted his last post. Drama Queen to the last. :rolleyes: :p

14. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Koryu are technique based arts. What art does NOT have techniques? And any long time practisioner shall tell you techniques are vehicles to teach physical and mental principles.
    One question. Where do you put your foot if there is no shihan there to tell you?

regards koyo

15. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

The right place??

...sorry, couldn't resist.

16. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Farewell Ben...I feel torn at the moment...

I still wished I knew what you meant by your "budo" improving by moving your foot if you have nothing to gauge it by since you don't fight, but I suppose I am now forever banished to ignorance with your departure :(

In some twisted way I will miss you.

- James

17. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

PS: Hit me up if you're ever in NY or back in Jersey :)

18. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

In your mouth

19. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

FTW

20. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

See you later, nice list.
    Seriously, Ben is right on a lot of things. But, we all have opinions and different beliefs that what makes martial arts interesting as well, the differences. I valued most of Ben's opinions.

To bad the Mods, couldn't have just locked it after his post.
    All the other nonsense is worthless don't you think? Taking stabs while a person is walking away.

What a community we have on here? With all the "Oh, see ya don't let the door smack your ass on the way out" comments. Have the people that are posting the negative comments don't understand what is being said? Or are we all just crass. By the way, It is important to know things and it is equally important to know that we don't know.

Again thanks for the comments and thanks for the list. See you in Japan sometime.

We all make our own lists as well, don't we?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.