Geekology

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by shaolin_hendrix, Sep 2, 2007.

1. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Being a lifetime geek, I've decided to try to define geeks for people. I'm still developing these ideas

There are four kinds of geeks, two positive kinds (or "intellectuals") and two negative kinds (or "dweebs").

The positive kinds of geeks are genius geeks, or "nerds", and unique geeks, or "freaks".

Genius geeks (nerds) are not necessarily all actually geniuses. However, all nerds are interested in how things work. Nerds can be interested in any intellectual pursuit, whether it be technology, literature, biology, or anything else with complexities.

Unique geeks (freaks) are people who see the world in a different way. Freaks are generally interested in artistic pursuits, which can include anything from painting, drawing, film, writing, photography, theatre, music, architecture, or any other creative outlet.

The negative kinds of geeks are boring geeks, or "losers", and delusional geeks, or "poseurs".

Boring geeks (losers) are people who let their lives slip by as they spend all of their time doing things like playing video games, watching anime, reading comic books, etc. While most geeks (and often people in general) of all categories have an interest in these activities, only boring geeks dedicate their lives to entertaining themselves with these activities.

Delusional geeks (poseurs) are people who are always trying to pretend that they're something they're not. They are always trying to impress everyone else, while never actually gaining any true substance to their personality. They typically lie often.

The main difference between positive geeks (intellectuals) and negative geeks (dweebs) is that intellectuals (nerds and freaks) progress as people more quickly than the average person, while dweebs (losers and poseurs) seem to progress much more slowly than most people.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Um... I think I'm all four... :eek:

3. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Genius, Unique, Boring geek.. i wouln't like to think im the last one.. But who knows?

4. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Genuis geek here. I am a geek going by some of the stuff I like but I seem to be able to pull it off and make it work for me. Always helps :)

5. shaolin_hendrix

I consider myself and many of my friends as unique geeks/freaks. I was in the art-geek clique in high school.

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The art clique? Maybe you're actually a number 4 and can't admit it because you're deluded. ;)

7. shaolin_hendrix

It wasn't an art clique, it was an art-geek clique, in that art wasn't a common interest in us originally, and was never conciously part of the equation. When we met as freshmen we were all misfits. We didn't get along very well with people, but we did get along with each other. Then we all started gravitating towards different things. I got into music, writing and philosophy (not to mention Kung Fu), my friend Dan got into theatre and photography, his girlfriend got into opera and illustration, another one of our friends got into wood-working and metal-working, another one of us got into videogame design and web comics, and another one got into poetry and fashion. However, we remained a clique because at my high school everyone was in a clique. I definitely wasn't a "number 4" because I always pursued these interests for myself, without caring about pleasing my peers. I mostly kept to myself in highschool.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Unique geek here- into the arts etc. I get on with people though and am quite sociable so perhaps I am not actually a geek afterall.Hurrah :D

9. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

So what's the difference between a Geek and a Nerd then?

10. shaolin_hendrix

I think a nerd is a geek who's primary interest is in academics.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Geeks have friends too - look at My Chemical Romance!