G'day from Australia...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by progdan, Apr 24, 2009.

1. progdan

progdan Valued Member

Hi there, my name is Dan, from Adelaide in South Australia. I'm 19 years old, and I've always had an interest in Martial Arts, however this year I finally took the plunge and started actually participating myself. I've always been primarily a musician, play and teach guitar (mostly jazz, fusion, metal and classical), but I needed something to help my fitness and strength, as well as being a handy skill to know. Beginning of the year I took up Krav Maga at a place here in Adelaide called 'Street-Defensive Tactics' which is run by Graham Kuerschner who is the Director of IKMF in Australia/New Zealand, and he also offers Weapons training in Doce Pares Eskrima, so I'm also doing that which is awesome fun! Later in the year I'm attending a seminar run by GM Sekiguchi in Iaijutsu which will be very interesting I'm sure.

The more I get into it, the more I keep discovering, and at this stage the main arts I'd like to do are Hapkido, Wushu and perhaps at some stage Ninjutsu, as well as reaching a good level at Krav and Eskrima.

Anyway, I spend heaps of time on musician forums, (where a few of us often end up in MA discussions) but this is my first Martial-Arts forum, and I'm very much looking forward to my stay! I'll see you around I'm sure!

2. DragonPrawn

DragonPrawn Valued Member

Welcome to map Dan hope you enjoy it here.

3. URBAN_ONI

URBAN_ONI Valued Member

Oh sweet another south aussie, welcome to the forums, i was considering joining SDT you reakon you could give me some insight:).

Cheers, ONI

4. kingc699

kingc699 Valued Member

Good to have another Aussie on board, welcome to MAP !!

5. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hiya Dan, welcome to MAP. :)

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Welcome to map Dan. Study hard and develope hand and eye co-ordination proper timing and rythm but enough about guitar.

Best wishes for your martial arts training

regards koyo

7. progdan

progdan Valued Member

Cheers people, pleased to meet you too... :cool:

I'll be looking forward especially to hearing peoples thoughts on Hapkido, as that is next on my 'hitlist' of martial arts to try...

Hey mate, well your sig is the same as the motto across the bottom of the dojo window, so you should fit in ok... :p

yeah its fantastic, very 'Reality Based' self-defence concepts, following the Krav Maga syllabus, but with Instructor Graham's experience in Wing Chun, Eskrima and a bunch of other arts which he's super qualified in, so its a very wholistic approach, highly recommended! There's heaps of info on their website, definately have a read through if you haven't already. Is posting links acceptable? If not I'll PM it to you...

8. URBAN_ONI

URBAN_ONI Valued Member

Lol, thanks ive checked out their site, im pretty enthused, dont know if i can endure a 1 hour bus trip there and back three days a week though:rolleyes:, ah we'll see.

Thanks

9. progdan

progdan Valued Member

ah yeah, I'm fortunate in that I work within the city, so its a 20 minute walk to get there straight after walk, and then I catch the bus home which is about half an hour (which I would've been catching from work anyway), so I'm pretty lucky there.

10. Joseph1608

Joseph1608 Valued Member

hey dan were both new

11. URBAN_ONI

URBAN_ONI Valued Member

Ah man your killin me:), i donno spose i could get used to the bus lol

12. progdan

progdan Valued Member

The bus is ok, though I sometimes get funny looks catching it with my Eskrima Rattans sticking out the top of my backpack... haha. Doing any more weapons stuff and I think I'll either need a much bigger bag, or drive...

13. URBAN_ONI

URBAN_ONI Valued Member

Haha nice

14. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Always nice to have another jazzer in the house!

Best regards,

-Mark

15. progdan

progdan Valued Member

:cool:

16. URBAN_ONI

URBAN_ONI Valued Member

Just outa curiousity, if i joined SDT would i be the only 15 year old there

17. progdan

progdan Valued Member

It's possible, as its recommended for 16 years and over, but in the classes I attend I reckon I've seen a couple of guys who are probably around 15-16... If you were coming along to the Monday night 5:30-6:30 or Saturday 10-11 sessions I'm sure you'd be fine.

18. URBAN_ONI

URBAN_ONI Valued Member

Sick, cheers buddy

19. progdan

progdan Valued Member

No probs mate. :)