GCSE's

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by gaz shaw, Feb 19, 2005.

1. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i have my GCSE exams coming up and when i go back to school on monday the work load is going to tripple in size, everybody is being told to start revising etc.

me and all my mates are starting to become stressed.

anyway i just wanted to get that out of my system, anyone got any good ways of remembering things, or any revising tips.

thanks in advance

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I know the feeling. I am doing my A Levels and the head wants us to work 5 hours a day when we are not in 6th form. That is more than I do when I am actually in.

While doing my exams in January, I found a method that works ok for me: read through your notes for about 30 minutes before you go to bed and dont do any more. The next day, have a quick look at the notes and you should remember more than you did before. Do this a few nights running.

I did this for my ICT exams, and was surprised at how easy I found the exams. My last quick look at my notes was 2 minutes before the exams. Theres the added advantage of the notes being so boring that they get you to sleep in no time :D

Another tip: dont write any notes on your arms for the exams. Other than being cheating, you can bet your life those notes will be for questions not on the paper (thats what a mate did, and we laughed our backs off at him for it) :D

3. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

same here, tips for A levels would be handy too, I didn't do any proper revision for my GCSEs so its probably not a good idea for me to just do what i did last time :)

4. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

thanks i'll try that, we had some person come into the school and teech us how to revise (his job was finding out how to revise, sad in some ways) it was some help, we got some links for good websites and stuff but it was really embassasing as well, he started singing (apparantly singing gets the information into our heads) but i couldn't take him seriously after that LOL. i'm also not sure when to start revising, if i start to early wont i forget some of the stuff i learnt when i started the revision.

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Tat - I didnt neither, and it shows in what I am doing next year: GCSE Maths resit :(

But hey, I am learning. I am even doing coursework on a weekend :eek:

6. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

I do something similar to Gaskell. Also, it's always worth remembering that if you're tired, or just staring at a book, it's not helping. I never do work after 10, because after that my essays become sloppy and any maths work basically goes down the pan with stupid mistakes. Not good, that's how I messed up with my calculus test a couple of months back. Above all, relax. If you're stressed, then you try cramming as much as you can in, and it goes out the other metaphorical ear.

If in doubt, just put 42 as your answer, and hope the examiner has a good sense of humour.

Good luck, i'm sure you'll do great.

7. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

i'm sure i know the stuff, its just getting it from my brain and on to the paper

good look to anyone else taking any exams soon what ever they are for.

8. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

For my GCSEs, I started revising about a week before the exam, and it showed. I defo needed more time to remember equations for Maths and Physics.

While doing my A Level and AVCE, I have started revising a month before the exam. It seems to suit me better, because I can cut it down into smaller chunks ie 1/3 of the book/folder a week, with the last week covering everything again, just to refresh my mind. I still sit in the common-room having a quick check of the subject/topic 5 minutes before the exam though :)

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

GCSE's are common sense exams, it is easier to teach yourself to answer the questions than it is to learn the subject matter. Get yourself copies of as many past papers as you can and just do them, the questions are effectively the same each year, if anything the context just changes (a train journey becomes a plane journey, a garden fence becomes a pond etc etc).

10. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

it's easy to get hold of some exam papers (maths) but for some subjects its more difficult (welsh, the structure of the exam has completely changed apparantly)

i will take your advice though

thanks

11. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

If they've changed the style of the exam, there should be some sample papers available to your teachers - or at least guidance on the types of questions. At the end of the day it can't change all that much for Welsh! Oral, Aural and Written (maybe 2 types??) - It was 8 years ago when I did it so my memory is hazy :confused:

Everyone says it, but you should do revision early - wish I could practice what I preach, I always end up saying; next time I'm gonna start alot earlier.... (about to do uni finals in May).

One tip I've found good (it really does work), is in the hour or so before the exam, chill out. Put your books away and relax, watch a bit of telly or read some fiction. By all means keep a sheet or two of short concise notes to look over while you're waiting to go in, but if you don't know something by then you'll just panic yourself :eek: and put yourself in completely the wrong state of mind.

Good luck and keep thinking what a great summer you'll have when it's all over :D

12. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

thanks dangermouse, at least i know what it says under your name so maybe i might actually do well in my exam (i totally agree with your user tital, i'm wales for ever, as well)

13. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

lol - Rydwi'n hoffi coffi - all you need to get a GCSE :)

Most of the languages only cover certain subject areas in exams (or did when I did welsh & french). i.e. going out, on holiday, going to school, family & friends.... that kind of thing. As long as you've got some good grounding in most of these you shouldn't get many surprises - you don't have to be fluent (unless it's first language Welsh :eek: )

Maths - get a good programmable calculator, you can fit loads of equations in them :Angel:

(No responsibility will be taken for any consequences arising from actions suggested in any post by this member)

14. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

lookally i'm doing second language is welsh, and i cant speek aword of welsh, i'm finally getting the hang of some of it but i still havn't a clue (how do they expect us to learn another language with a 1 hour slot per week)

i'm predicted a B in welsh as well as a B in english and i can actually talk english (well sort of)