Game of Thrones S4

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bozza Bostik, Apr 15, 2014.

1. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

It's still all speculation, good ol' Georgy sure likes throwing his curve balls.

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

tyrell's - im guessing they figured out the lannister debt and wanted to cut ties

the old lady even talks about rob stark dying at a wedding before hand.
    margery calls for the pie and for it to be fed to the poor to prevent investigation.
    and the women in that family are the smart ones

3. Mangosteen

also in the first season - killing a child or mentioning rape was a no no
    now they openly talk about wanting to rape Arry, theres dead kids everywhere and they've got super graphic

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Great fan of the show, even though I do prefer the books.

Characters for me are different in the books and the show.

Tyrion they got spot on, Dinklage is great, I did not like the casting of any of the Baratheon men (King Robert, Stannis and Renly). Wasn't Robert supposed to be a tower of a man (I pictured more a Hagrid) that slayed Rhaghaer at the Trident?

Ned was spot on, one of my favourite characters in the books is Jon Snow, on the show I do not like him. Leana Headey as an actress I have great respect for, but she IMO was not right for Cersei. Jaime on the other hand was spot on. Tywin is great. I did not much care for Bronn's character in the books I love him in the show.

I personally liked the story of Dorne in the books, they come across as a wild card nation that are extremely dangerous and full of pride, and feared combatants (they have a lot of spears don't they?) I don't think this was portrayed well in the show. Joffrey was awesome for how much he made me despise the character more so than in the books.

Varys, Littlefinger spot on, Arya also, I did not care for Sansa in the books nor the Show. (Where's Rickon btw?)

Daenerys is awesome, I was disappointed with Ramsay Snow I didn't imagine him as a child or the guy from misfits. I didn't like the way they did the red wedding, I much preffered it in the books. I also don't think they did a good job on the show of portraying how much trouble Rob Stark was giving the Lannisters. I didn't care for his character on the show and again loved him in the books.

All in all a great show. Legend of the Seeker is an example of when they ruin books. Game of Thrones is an example of when they get it right.

Hoping Spielberg doesn't slay Mistborn, and more follow to make things like The First Law, The name of the wind and the gentlemen bastards.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

There probably is actually. Unfortunately for me the wife deletes the episodes off the sky box the moment we've watched them, so I can't watch them again :cry:

Oh yeah, the women are smart as hell in that family. But IIRC, they already know about the debt when they agreed to the marriage in the first place. Not to mention they'd be deliberately sabotaging their own ties to the royal family and a position of power that follows. And as they say, the Lannisters "always pay their debts".

The old lady is hilarious though, she's definitely one of the more enjoyable characters to watch.

I want to know how/why the drunk knight who gave Sansa the necklace at the wedding was there though. The one that grabs Sansa and tells her that she has to run if she wants to live. There's something off about him that I can't put my finger on.

I was going to ask how faithful the TV series is to the books actually.

Who would you have picked instead?

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

As far as WHY Dontos is there he's Joffrey's fool so he's naturally going to be there as entertainment

7. righty

righty Valued Member

Hmm, it's pretty clear cut in the books. And the little clues that are in the books appear in the TV show as well so I doubt it's something they change from the books to the show.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  8. righty

righty Valued Member

I'm not sure what you mean about Rickon. He disappeared from the storyline in the show at the same point he disappeared in the books.

I got exciting when you mentioned Mistborn but I haven't been able to find anything solid about adaptions for the books. Is it actually happening?

9. Southpaw535

I think you're right. It'd be a very big plot point for them to change and there's no reason to do it. The original explanation given in the books makes sense and I've seen others point out its the same in the shows if you know what you're looking for.

The only thing that's unclear is who actually poisoned him. Dontos gave her the necklace and Olenna took the poison, but we don't see who put it in the cup. I assume Maergary but I don't think that bits ever made clear.

The only reason to doubt the explanation in the books too is that its Littlefinger explaining it and he's known to lie. Even then though he seems to be trying to groom Sansa into less of a naiive player so I can see him playing that bit straight with her.

10. righty

righty Valued Member

11. righty

righty Valued Member

Is this thread going to cover the same rule of thumb as the MMA threads that have results of fights up before people have had a chance to watch it?

12. LemonSloth

Good question. I suppose it's only fair really, though I have no problems with it.

13. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ"]"MEDIEVAL LAND FUN-TIME WORLD" EXTENDED TRAILER — A Bad Lip Reading of Game of Thrones - YouTube[/ame]

I would watch the heck out of this.

14. LemonSloth

I posted that one on MAP quite a few months back and it took me months to stop associating everything and everyone in GoT with that damn vid.

Thanks for bringing back the horror Raptor :p

"My junk is numb!". Still cracks me up.

Seanzoz has a channel with Game of Thrones parodies that are fairly amusing to watch. Can't post it here 'cos of some of the language though.

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, that answers some questions for me. I clicked the link and stopped watching because I knew I had seen it before. I'm confident it was your post in another thread. :p

16. Southpaw535

So here's a question: Now we're a bit further out from the episode, what are people's feelings on the Jaime - Cersei scene in the sept?

I've been reading a bit more about it since its quite a change to Jaime's character arc and among all the general stuff where a lot of outlets seemed to question if this was the end of GOT and all the people crying out about character assassination there's a quote from the director saying the scene was meant to be consensual. I can't spell his name but Jaime's actor also feels like its a complex scene with a bit of both going on.

For myself, I have to admit that seeing it again with what they tried to do in mind I don't think it was a rape per se. There actually are parts where Cersei coaxes him on and even the first time I watched it her grabbing the cloth seemed like an interesting choice. It could be interpreted that its a sign of Cersei fighting with herself.

Obviously the big thing for the vast majority of people is the fact that Cersei is saying no and trawling through forums and news articles its quite interesting how important that detail is. Naturally when you talk generally about rape someone saying "no" is a rather large factor in deciding whether its a rape or not. But, these are characters that have been well established over 4 seasons and have been further explored in the books. Their whole lives they've been very close and, up until Jaime's capture, they had no interest at all in any other partner. For Cersei though, Jaime abandoned her when he was captured and now he's back my interpretation is she both feels guilty for banging Lancel, and is trying to stay angry at Jaime for abandoning her while at the same time being happy he's back.

In the context of everything I don't think its a giant stretch to suggest that she was saying no due to, you know, being next to the altar with their dead son on it, and also because she's still trying to hate Jaime but by the end of the scene was actually happy to have him back being intimate with her. I suppose it depends how you define "consent." To me it would be whether or not she wanted to have sex with Jaime and I think by the end of the scene she does. Her saying no is a part of the weird relationship they have going on at that point in the story, but ultimately she does want to sleep with him.

The problem with deciding that consent can actually be a semi-complex issue in a situation such as this one is that you seem to be immediately crucified as saying that all rape victims eventually want it if you rape them enough, or that "no" secretly means "yes" and things like that. Rape is one of those very annoying subjects where people can't separate the subject from the issue at hand.

Anyway its something I've been thinking about and this seemed the best place to get my ideas down so I'm curious what other people think about that scene and whether my interpretation can be justified or if I've been grasping at straws to try and save one of my favourite characters?

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As I understand it in the books Cersei's "no" wasn't saying no to sex but no to sex in a public place. She wanted Jaime as much as he wanted her but it wasn't the right time.
    Not seen the TV version though I've heard it doesn't come across in the same way as the scene in the book.

18. LemonSloth

Yeah, it definitely wasn't as clear cut as that.

I haven't read the books but I got the impression it was supposed to be about doing it right besides Joffreys' body.

19. Mangosteen

that scene at Craster's place was super super graphic.
    the violence against women in that show is horrible

i hope nothing happens to that girl cos of stupid annoying Bran

20. Mangosteen

the book says she helped "guide him in" while the show has cersei saying no in general and pushing jamie away through the whole thing