Game of Thrones S4

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bozza Bostik, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

So what would you fine MAPers say? Are the books worth reading?

I have heard very mixed opinions. A lot of people have said the books kinda run out of steam after 3 or 4. People have accused Martin of dragging out the later books for the money etc (Wasn't there only supposed to be 3?). I am not sure if I want to read half a series.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You don't have to read the books, you can just be one of those whiny pains in the ass who prevent their friends from discussing books that came out a decade ago.

3. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

So far I have enjoyed all the books. There is more to the characters than you have seen in the show and they have changed in the show. For example in the show Catelyn Stark doesn't want Ned to be the Hand. In the books she talks him into it as a way to advance his house and standing.

I liked book 4 the best so far.

Also, in the books the character are younger. Daenerys is only 13 or 14 but you couldn't have that in the show. The censors would have gone ape over a character being 14 and naked, even if the actress wasn't.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  4. Bozza Bostik

Wha'??

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I don't think he dragged them out for money, so much as he created a giant world and it got away from him a bit. I have to say I struggled with the last couple books but in hindsight I think that's because I bought them all very quickly after the first season aired and I was still struggling with the style. I finished the series within a month but at least a week of that was me moping after the Red Wedding. It got to a point where I didn't care about any of the new characters he was introducing because I expected them to die soon anyway.

Reading the second to last book again now though I have to say I'm enjoying it a lot more. GRRM really did a fantastic job of creating the Westeros world and I'm interested enough in that and there's enough information on characters and history to get sucked into some very interesting thoughts and discussions about what's going on. Certainly enough to get over the lull in action after the War of the Five Kings comes to its end.

The creators of the tv show have also said they plan to make some departures after this season ends because the books become far harder to turn into a decent tv adaption. There IS a lot of new world building and rearranging of characters after Storm of Swords due to the changed political landscape and the deaths of previously main POV characters such as Robb and Catelyn. He does take a bit of time to create new characters and flesh them out a bit more.

I'd say they're worth reading. If you're like me and enjoy questions over morality and politicking then there's a lot more information in the books to flesh out what's shown in the show. Plus being able to watch the show with people who haven't read the books is a lot of fun as you eagerly await their pain and sorrow.

edit: I do feel a need to point out though that while the show is very good at showing the violence in ASOIAF, the books are considerably more graphic at times. For instance a lot of the rape stuff seems to be have been cut from the show which is understandable given the amount of controversy its already earned for the sex and violence in it. But to give an example, during the riot in King's Landing in season 2 where Sansa is nearly raped but saved by the Hound, in the books another character actually is gang raped by around 50 people. There's a few other examples of things like that that have been cut out and I would say that anyone who finds that a tough subject to read about might want to avoid them. That's one of the more extreme examples but there is a quite haunting one in one of the later books that even a year or so later still makes me a bit ill to think about.

Kind of unnecessary dickery there. It was a simple question.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

yeah, this one would make sense viewed from the angle of the hair being what initially identified jofrey as not robert's

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'd say they start out well but then lose a LOT of steam and really drag.
    I only read the last couple for the sake of completion because I'd read the rest.
    It was a chore.
    For me they are too sprawling with too many characters you lose track of and have no investment in. So many strands and side stories.
    Lots of things that seem important or like they might develop into something interesting go nowhere.
    The misogyny wore very thin with me too. I know real history is full of horrible things but considering Martin made this stuff up I worry about his internal workings.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The books also show Gregor Clegane to be much more of a monster than the TV show has.

A simple question doesn't deserve an honest answer?

9. Southpaw535

Hasn't the tv show recast him like 4 times now though? Its got to be hard to try and write him in like that.

Well yeah but she never said anything about spoilerths. There are people who haven't read the books who are quite happy with people talking about them assuming they're not complete numpties about it.

Example of being a numpty:

The amount of youtube and facebook comments before the Red Wedding saying stuff like "Robb's a big fan of weddings" and stuff like that. Not even close to witty and just being a pleb.

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

well, they haven't really followed gregor all that much in the series yet, whereas i'm pretty sure the books covered him a bit more extensively. given that they've cast one of the world's strongest men (literally) to play him this season, i'm thinking we may get to see some interesting stuff once he shows up. in particular, i'm waiting for him to

beat the crap out of oberyn with massive, overwhelming force, which is what i suspect they hired hafthór björnsson for :D

they've also said very very little about the events of aerys the mad's reign, which is iirc where a lot of his shenanigans occurred, so we'll probably have it all dumped onto us via exposition (possibly in relation to the event i spoiler-tagged).

11. Southpaw535

Oberyn did mention his part in the rape and murder of his sister and her children in the first episode.

12. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

[​IMG]

:p

I jest of course. My wife likes spoiling the events of the next episode about five minutes before I watch it anyway, so I've gotten used to spoilers.

13. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Books were pretty fun, easy reads. Good beach lit.

14. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Some one must not know who Lily is just yet. ;)

15. Bozza Bostik

Sssssshhh!

I am enjoying the relationship that is developing between myself and a hot young stud of a man who will remain nameless. Don't ruin it for me. It's the best offer I have had in ages.

#crisco

16. Southpaw535

Mappers shouldn't have names, just numbers.

17. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I call dibs on 69!

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I'll take 68 - Ero I'll have to owe you one

19. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't owe me anything. I give it out for free. ;)

#SweetNectar

20. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I claim 6.67384 × 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2

with relative standard uncertainty 1.2×10−4 of course.