Galang's Yambao book?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Crucible, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Anybody had a look at it, what did you think? I'm paticularly intrested in what people think who have copies and have studied the original.

2. david f

david f New Member

I recently obtained a copy from Master Rey Galang while he was in the Philippines and I think he has done a sensational job in producing the book 'Classic Arnis'. The material is presented in a very clear, concise and easy to follow format with explanations of the techniques and drills. Master Rey has translated the sections in the book. Containing in excess of 500 photos including sequential photos and transitional shots to allow the reader to clearly follow.

The original book, was said to have been quite difficult for even tagalog readers to follow because of the lack of description and also because of how it was layed out. There are also only about 100 photos in the original book.

Personally it is fantastic to have the original since it is a collector's item. But in all honesty, Master Rey's new book fills in a lot of the holes, covers drills to delevop and refine the techniques, provides explainations and is well produced.

Another point that not many people may not be aware of is that Placido Yambao received his instruction and diploma from one of Master Rey's great uncles!