Gain weight through muscle training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Allers, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Hi everyone!
    I am 5"11 and 53.6kg. I have never managed to gain weight before in any way other than muscle training, due to what seems to be a superhuman metabolism (I ate 3 large mcdonalds meals a week before i started training, unhealthy i know, but i never put on any weight at all).
    I already have quite strong legs from my taekeondo training, but i could probably work on my upper body to gain in mass. Does anybody have any tips on what i could do to increase my upper body muscle size?
    I have the following equipment which i can use (although i have no idea how useful any of it could be):
    A pullup bar.
    A cross-trainer.
    Weight which can be made to be from 2 to 6kg.

And thats it... I dont have too much equipment to hand, but does anybody have any ideas for how i could use this for upper body muscle training? I would like to train everything in my upper body, not just my arms.

If anybody could help me sort out a routine, i would be immensely grateful. :D

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

3. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Thanks, I found a pdf there which is okay (although it looks a bit scammish). The only problem is that I don't have most of the equipment they stated there...

4. Osu,

How old are you?
    Do you want to get bigger, or stronger?

Osu!

5. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

I am 16! It's more about getting bigger, I am pretty strong already, but I just want to gain some weight to go up to a new weight category.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

7. It will take about 14 years... after which you'll start putting up unwanted weight! :D:D
    That said, you should be able to draw upon the testosterone boost at your age to put on some serious muscle!

Osu!

8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Join a gym, do any program on the web that isn't stupid, eat a lot.

Stop telling yourself your metabolism or body is any different to anyone else's.

Profit.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Short response:

Eat more, do resistance training - end of

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

11. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Im am similar to you OP. I am 65 KG. All my friends say that i must have a problem as i eat way more than them. My closest friend is always at shock when he sees me eating at home, yet for some reason i dont gain any weight. And even if i ate like 4 sandwiches, after an hour or 2 im really hungry for some reason (thats what happened today).

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1268956
    However this article says other wise. The analogy is a good thing to read to help make sense. I found this article on this forum as as ticky in the weightlifting noobs section.

So then wont most of the nutrients end up as fat?

Im not working out to look good, but getting bigger would definately be a nice thing.

I know 5x5 will take care of the strength side of things, but also the getting larger side. But will just eating furiously actually help?

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

eat more high quality food, join a gym, start "Starting Strength"
    6kg weights wont do anything for you.

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I was exactly like you at 16 up until about 29 - permanently skinny. My solution was to turn 30. Worked like a charm.

14. Mangosteen

eat high quality foods. a couple sandwiches and some macdonalds doesn't cut it.
    just eat lots of meat and veg at every meal, who cares if you gain a little fat if you gain a load of muscle?

15. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Ah, thanks for the advice guys. I think i will try the gomad thingy:D thank you!

16. seiken steve

once upon a time before the internet, people didnt need to ask these questions, 4 sandwhiches was not a 'lot' of food, hardgainers were just called 'people who dont eat enough' and if you used genetics as an excuse you'd be laughed out of the gym.

i'm not trying to be a dick, but if you weigh 65kg your genetic limits are not important, squatting, a lot, often and eating, a lot, often is.

all of this is irrelevent, notice how people who are really strong look strong? yeah crazy, you'll get bigger as you get stronger.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Slight Hijiack here.

Is I do GOMAD, only doing body weights, will I still put on weight? I'm good to do it for more than 25 days though.

18. seiken steve

its not going to work as well.

GOMAD was meant to be used with a 20 rep squat program.

6 weeks of GOMAD and 20 rep squats is a good way to get big and strong in a hurry.

can you not get 2 a 2 month gym membership? 2 weeks of work capacity then a 20 repper cycle would be a good way of getting awesome

19. Mangosteen

lift heavy, and as i learnt from steve yesterday, eat 2 percent of your body weight in meat and a crap load of veggies.
    srsly, steve eats A LOT of meat.
    im lucky if i 500 grams down me with some shakes on top.
    but with the OP being 5.11 and weighing 53kg, he needs to be eating like a lion

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm part of a gym already, but I can never get near the squat racks, there's only two and they are ALWAYS in use. They have lots of dumbells though, can you do heavy squats with them?

Also, I like that phrase "getting awesome" haha.