Gae Bolga

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Jim, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

Okay, what is it?

If you've read the 'Ulster Cycle' you'd know that it was a weapon used by CuChulainn and was taught to him by Scathach, a female other land great warrior, and was a type of barbed spear thrown with the foot! Other than that not much is known about it and it wasn't described terribly well.

If I knew how to add links to threads I'd post a link to the section of the Ulster Cycle online and you could have a read yourself.

Now, that was what I was going to post on Tuesday but I've been kept away from the computer by work commitments. After seeing Kill Bill Vol. 1 on Thursday night I've re-thought about the Gae Bolga. I know think that it's a kind of rope dart come morning star that the Japanese girl in the movie used. Anyone else got an opinion on this?

2. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

3. Jim

Jim New Member

Thanks Louie,

I would've sent you a PM regarding this but (sorry) I couldn't remember your 'name'. :EEK:

I know you've listed the details he of training CuChulainn did but I was after discussion as to what the Gae Bolga actually was.

4. Lurch

Lurch Angry Kid

I think that the Gae Bolga was the 'belly spear'. If you imagine a spear with a long iron shaft behind the head, and a series of barbs running down the length of the shaft, you're on the right track.

As the name suggests, it was intended to be thrust into the abdomen, so that as it was withdrawn it would disembowel the victim. I doubt that it was intended to be thrown with the foot only - there are better ways to throw a spear, but I imagine that throwing with the foot would be one of the feats that the Red Branch would practice.