Funding Ideas?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by humble student, Sep 28, 2005.

1. humble student

humble student Valued Member

I will be starting my local Disabled Martial Arts "Club" in associaton with the American Shorin-ryu Karate Association next month. I am trying to get ideas for fund raisers and grant possiblities. Anyone with any ideas or experiences can pm me. The association is non profit and may give me some funding but to start I have to get chartered, i.e. my first fund raiser. I only need to come up with $125 charter fee. But like others here my social security only goes so far. So any funding ideas will be appreciated greatly! My long term goal is to come up with a national orginization after I have more experience. That way all people of all abilities can enjoy martial arts hopefully at minimal cost to them.

Thanks
    John Runer

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  2. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

Can't beat a sponsored something. Either that or ask around local businesses for sponsorhip and get the local paper interested. For the relatively small amount of money involved, most businesses would jump at the free advertising in the local rag. Imagine the headline "...... supports up an coming disabled MA". On a local level it's probably alot more than they could get by paying for an ad.

Also, in the UK at least, there are organisations that'll set up bungee jumping/abseiling/parachuting etc. free provided you get a set amount of sponshorship money. Again, get the paper involved and you'll have the small businesses queuing up to get their names in the paper. :)

3. humble student

Thanks for the ideas and support!! I am going to start contacting local business's.

John Runer

4. speedbag

speedbag Valued Member

Grant opportunities.

Try a few of these:

Grant for kids by Garth Brooks

grants for individuals - the disabled

a huge list of possible donors or grants
    grants and funding for non-profits

more grants for non-profits

Don't forget about "foundations" which can create a large part of your funding search. some are always looking for a good idea to back.

large listing of disabled sports and athletic activities

Challenged Athlete foundation

listing of possible foundations

keep refining your web searches until you can find some very specific possibilities. Even if you find a few other MA businesses that are doing something similiar. Ask them where they get their funding.

contact several LOCAL businesses that work with the disabled. ( sports medicine centers, treatment centers, rehab. companies, Cardio or Neuro clinics etc.) Even hit the orthopedic appliance places. Ask them if they would help with donations. Go to the special educ dept of the local college or high schools, ask if they have any contacts or insights. There are many people in your local area that have found grant money or started programs similiar to yours.

good luck.

5. humble student

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try your ideas. Also please let others know about this program, especially if they are in eastern Idaho.

John Runer

6. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

Hi there, I run a nonprofit for survivors of domestic violence...I teach thme Chinese martial arts....
    So far I have had fundraisers:
    Restaurant/club - hade a MA DEMO show,30 min./commedian, 20min/then live bands..free food... we charged 20 at the door with 1/2 going to our cause. make sure you get a contract! also have donation jars at the front and flyers about your NP
    also
    a club holds monthly F/R's and we are having one in Dec.where there will again be MA DEMO's by Masters, silent auction (get items donated such as:
    jewelry, certificates for massage/acupuncture/hair salons etc..
    we have large companies donating items....possibly a motorcycle.,
    and of course live music, there will be food donated and sold $ goes to FOCUS (my org), Artist are donating paintings etc.....for the auction.

You can also have a company donate tshirts and print the name of your org. on them and have a *suggested donation price* to avoid sales tax.....
    GOOD LUCK! email me I would LOVE to network with you!
    KFG