Funding for TKD

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rhythmkiller, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Hi Guys,

My TKD club is competing in the European championships in Belarus this year. Problem is to enable the team to go we have to do various fund raising events. We are doing a sponsored kickathon, we have also got some money off of the local council. Not much but it helps. It works out about £1000 a head to go to the event.

As I understand it the competition particularly the mainland European countries give their teams funding and pay them to compete. Has this ever happened in Britain?

Can you think of any other revenue streams we could access to help get the team to the Euros? My instructor is also paying some money towards this but well over £10,000 is required as there are ten competitors and this is a big ask. Of course some of the guys are paying their own way as well, but they are mostly students so money for TKD is tight.

Any help or thoughts on this much appreciated.

Baza

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Will the students' schools/universities cough up for any of the cost? They might well like to sponsor an international competitor or two.

3. Rhythmkiller

Thats a good idea. i'll drop it in as a suggstion.

Baza

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Bake sales?

Do you guys do any sort of event that's open to the public? You could sell advertisement slots to different local businesses during those events. Have them make their own banner or sign to post up. That's how a lot of high school/college athletics make money, I think they're called "boosters" or something.

I don't know if you guys are allowed to pan for money on the streets like we can in the U.S., but standing on a local roadway median or a grocery store while one person demos and another holds a sign and bucket to collect donations usually turns some decent results. Not an ideal way of doing it, but every bit counts.

5. Rhythmkiller

It's a great idea. I think in the UK a licence is required to do this, i'm not sure on that though. But another great suggestion. My club regularly goes into schools and trains some of the students there and take them for P.E etc maybe the school can help.

Baza

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Check with the local council too, there may be grants available for sports clubs.

Mitch

7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Have you checked with Local businesses about possible sponsorship?? Alot of companies like to be seen working with the local community. Worth a shot....

8. Rhythmkiller

We got £500 from the local council, was actually going to ask some local businesses too. I need to discuss this with my instructor though. Also i fuond a funding page on sports scotland i have sent to my org.

It's a shame there isn't more funding for martial arts from the government, i really only mean when our respective countries are being represented internationally. Of course i am being completely bias now lol.

Baza

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I didn't hear about this when I was living and training/coaching in Ukraine. Those guys are fanatical about competing too. The athletes I knew relied heavily on donations from extended family. To be honest though mate support will be very hard to come by until you reach the black belt level. GB Taekwondo has the best funding here in the UK, but outside the WCPP other organisations give their top athletes free kit at most. Much of your financing is likely going to have to come from pulling double shifts at work.

10. Rhythmkiller

Thanks Mate but i won't be competing. It is our black belts. Many of our guys have said the Russian and Czech teams got paid in the last tuornament in Estonia i believe. Anyway been getting great suggestions here and will raise as much funds as possible for the guys.

Baza

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ah, I see. Some competitions offer cash prizes to winners. Usually €150-200 per individual division, €250-500 for overall grand champion (winners of individual divisions fight each other in an open weight category) and close to €1000 for best team in my experience. But that is Euros, which isn't real money. :D

Hats off to you for supporting your mates though.