Fullcontact stick fighting in UK?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Basic, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Basic

Basic New Member

Hi

Is the any Eskrima groups in the UK that fight with limited protection like Dog Brothers?

Does Pat still do the Black Eagle?

Is the any Dog brothers style instructors in the UK?

2. Genki_ETHOS

Genki_ETHOS New Member

yes there are full contact stick fightin clubs near me :)

in luton and northampton

3. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

that's full on nuts, have you tried it? i've done it with headgear, armgaurds and a padded stick, a foam covered hand crafted one from Edgar Sulite's shop, his wife runs it, felisa.

my sifu keeps telling me I need to wear the metal headgear and straight stick spar with him. While I believe in realism, I also believe in keeping myself alive without brain damage.

4. Basic

Basic New Member

To Genki_Ethos

Got any more info ?

From Basic

5. Rob_InDaUk

Rob_InDaUk Grandmaster Sandwich

Yoda, you got any advice for Basic? I know you are qualified in Eskrima

Rob

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yeah - I've swung a stick or two.

The only "Dog Brothers type" group I know of is by invitation only. And it takes more than a forum post on the internet to get an invite!

7. Rob_InDaUk

Rob_InDaUk Grandmaster Sandwich

Nice and modest there Yoda,
    "Yeah - I've swung a stick or two."
    LOL!!

Rob

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Ok - a stick or three :D

9. stickgirl

stickgirl Valued Member

hiya all. try checking out wekaf.com
    there is a post on there about the black eagles doing something in august i think. there is also a rapid arnis convention thingy which sounds like good stuff.

10. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Single-Stick Fighting
    A Full Contact Single-stickfighting tournament recently took place at Bearsden & Milngavie Highland games. it was organised by Maestro Paul Macdonald of Edinburgh and it was the first tournament of its kind to be held in Scotland in over 80 years. The event took place in a position it occupied all those years ago, next to the traditional backhold wrestling and Highland dance.

The style of fighting was based on the traditional Scottish `backsword' style. A backsword is a slashing weapon with only one edge. The competition was similar to those of the
    wrestlers but, instead of best of 5 falls, it was best of 5 hits. The target areas were based the old Scottish rules, the torso, arms, head, and above the knee of the leading leg.

The weapon used is a traditional ash stick with wicker basket or leather guard to protect the hand and participants fought with fencing masks, arm & knee pads

Louie Pastore (Ancient Scottish & European Martial Arts)

11. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Louie, please let us know when the next event is scheduled, as I know many people who would enjoy the spectacle, and some might even wish to test their mettle.

12. cyclepath

cyclepath New Member

Whats really good about full contact stickfighting is when some bright spark suggests doing it semi contact tag fighting head gear and boxing gloves.

Sorry had a bit of a flashback to a sesh with one of the Mods on this here forum!!!