Fu Jow Pai tiger claw

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Nykout, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Hello

I've been wondering, what is the main advantage of the Fu Jow Pai tiger claw over more conventional strikes? Especially during strikes to the torso. I can see it's effectiveness in strikes to weak points like eyes or neck, but is there really any reason to use it instead of a standard fist or palm strike?

Thank you

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You can grab them?

3. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Then why not just hit with a normal fist and grab afterwards? A back fist will be much stronger as well as reliable. If your opponent blocks the claw to his stomach with an elbow, you will just break your fingers.

Besides, I am not talking about grabs or other possible options after the strike, but about the strike itself. In Tak Wah Eng's book "Entering the Fu Jow Pai" there are partner fighting elements where the claw to the body is used, as well as practical applications. So my question is, why use the claw if you can use the fist?

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Have you asked your Sifu?

5. Ben Gash CLF

You don't hit with the claw, you hit with the palm and then contract into the claw.

6. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

I can ask around, but the only Kung Fu school in the area focuses pretty much only on the sport aspects, so they might have a biased opinion on the claw strike.

7. Hannibal

The problem you will have is you are asking about something that you do not train in - I probably wouldn't tell you much either

The best way to grasp (pun intended) the rationale is to train in the actual discipline

8. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

I hope I will someday.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Just pick something and train. If they train in a sport style of kung fu they would probably wreck anyone who isn't training like them.

10. Ben Gash CLF

You did see De Lucia vs Gracie yeah?

11. Hannibal

Both times :)

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I was referring to kung fu vs kung fu :)

13. Ben Gash CLF

Yeah, but even so. Sport karate type Kung Fu is just horrible.

14. Hannibal

Not always - Alfie Lewis would still put a hurting on you even to this day!

15. Ben Gash CLF

Yeah, but for much of Alfie's career semi contact was still pretty full on, not like what you see post 1990.

16. Hannibal

That much is true

17. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

FYI DeLucia had a record of 33–21–1 in MMA and did later also train in GJJ to broaden his skills when he fought in Pancrase. Won in UFC 1 back in 1993. This guy was notable in that he had his liver ruptured by Bas Rutten. :mad: S

So although a KF guy he wasn't stupid, rounded his skills and kept participating in MMA until Nov 2006. Not bad really considering what he experienced in his early outings. Actually not a bad showing for a guy initially from a 5 Animals background.

:' D

LFD

18. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

I already train in both Capoeira and Kyokushin, I was just curious about the tiger claw. You may already know that, but Oyama added a lot of techniques from Kung Fu (seeing as he studied Chinese Kempo from the age of 13), such as nukite and tegatana. There is however, no trace of the tiger claw-ish technique in Karate, so it picked my curiousity.

19. Ben Gash CLF

He certainly upped his game after his initial fight with Gracie, this is true.