FTP probs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by dredleviathan, Mar 7, 2003.

1. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Help! Do any of you techy guys out there know why my FTP program, Filezilla, shoudl not work with my new computer. I suspect that it might be something to do with me now running Windows XP Pro...?

I keep getting the same error message "can't resolve host name" but the same details work on my colleague's computer - the only difference being that he has Windows 98.

Any experience or suggestions?

2. Cain

Cain New Member

Sounds like a dns error, a few questions, but mind you I am not a whiz kid :D

What's your internet connection like? I mean how do you connect to the net?

and

does normal internet connection work?

|Cain|

3. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi Cain,

I have an ADSL connection which is functioning normally in all other respects as far as I can tell. The weird things being that on my colleagues computer there is no problem?

Weird huh!

4. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Are you running a firewall on your computer? Does your ftp pgrogram allow you to adjust bandwidth settings?

5. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmmm.......never used an ADSL connection, but I am guessing it uses a static IP address, try to check your IP settings in network places\local area network properties and double click on tcp/ip properties and see if the IP is assinged correctly, your computer will have been assinged an IP address by your ISP, it will have to be entered in IP address feild

Also in the default gateway and DNS server you will have to set them accordingly, if your friend has the same ISP as yours then just match his settings for default gateway and DNS server.

Admittedly this is sort of a wild shot, I hav'nt the faintest idea of what an ADSL connection is like :(

If your normal internet connection is working fine them you might have to play around with the internet settings of your FTP client, or see if it connects to another site through the client

Hope I helped

|Cain|

PS - There was something in the back of my head.......could'nt remember what, I'll get back at you once I catch it

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Aha! Kuro spelled it out :D

|Cain|

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Check to see if you're firewall is blocking outbound and inbound connections on port 21.

Or, try another client and see if that works. I like WS_FTP LE www.ipswitch.com/downloads/ If that works OK, it must be the software.

8. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Right-O K-girl. I have an ADSL connection and use WS_FTP LE with no problems at all.

9. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I like it. Mostly cos its free, but it still does the job. I've used the DOS prompt to FTP files before, so anything is an improvement over that!