Front Squat Help

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Roual, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

I've been trying to front squat for a good few weeks now, and I can't seem to get it right.

Everytime I get even close to parallel, my elbows drop and my whole body leans forward. I'm only using light weights at the moment, so it's not causing me to drop the weight, but I imagine it would if I started squatting heavier.

So, my questions and queries are
    1) Are there any specific stretches I can do to help (assuming the problem is one of flexability)
    2) When you front squat, do you squat between your legs (like a normal squat), or behind your legs (can't think of a better way to describe it).

I've read articles on T-Nation and Stumptuous about them, watched videos, looked at pictures, but I can't seem to get it and I'm fed up of the sodding leg press machine! (my gym has no squat rack).

Any help would be appreciated and acknowledged with free beer.

2. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

I'm far from an expert, but here's what helped me.

1-OH Squats help alot with flexibility issues, especially around the hip area, they also teach you to keep your weight over your heals.

2-Check out Dan Johns free ebook called "form the ground up", you can find it on his website.

3-Take a look at the excercise section on www.crossfit.com for some good pointers on front squatting.

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Have a look at the Dan John fitcast video that was posted on here a few days ago, it should help you out. Any more questions, bring it back here! :)

4. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter