Front Snap/Thrust Kick (TSD)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by ahkyte, Jul 14, 2004.

1. ahkyte

ahkyte Tang Sou Dao

Hello all,

This is for the TSD (Tang Sou Dao / Tang Soo Do) people that lurk about on this forum :)...

Currently Im Green Tag (5th Ji) in Tang sou dao, and am at the stage where I need to get rid of some bad habits ive developed. Mainly to do with my Chean Chuai Ti (Front Thrust Kick)...

When Im bag training I do the kick fine, manage to thrust the hips out (ooh er) and hit the bag square with area behind/below my toes (cant think what its called)... However in Sparring, I always seem to execute the kick wrong, so that it comes out more whippy style, toes first... My question is have any of you chaps had this problem in your early days of training ?, and what did you do to train yourself to kick correctly ?.. I say that because If I batter my toe once more then im gonna cry ! :(

Thanks all.

2. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Ap kumchi :)

Chill out when sparring. Sounds like you're getting a bit carried away and not executing it properly :)

3. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

A lil tip to help strengthen your legs, which will help your kicks. Whenever you do a kick air, try hold your kick for a second or two, it'll be a bit hard at first, but you'll get used to it and be able to kick better.

4. ahkyte

ahkyte Tang Sou Dao

Ahhh we do that one currently... Lots of slow moves, half steps... and slow front thrust kicks... (legs still aching from last nights session)..... But I think in general I do need to slow down and practice clean moves not throwing myself in like a psycho :)...

Cheers Chaps.

5. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

umm sounds like u need to relax more when you spar. Calm down and don't rush, move fast but get in a hurry. Good luck to ya.

6. inbuninbu

inbuninbu "Train hard, fight easy"

Foo muscle exercises

Aah, had that problem myself. Just before we proceed I'd like to point out although strictly I train in sport TKd my instructor likes to add in some TSD he knows too (he calls them TSD basics- mean anything to you?)

There are some exercises you can do to train your toes/feet so you kick with the ball of your feet instead of crunching up you toes, because you see before starting martial arts most of us don't have developed enough feet muscles to hold our feet in the correct position for kicking for long time...

I think this one will do: sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you. Push the front of your feet(ball of the foot) forward. Then stretch your toes back, so your feet are in the right position for a front kick and hold like this for 5-10 seconds. Then relax, then repeat.

You can adapt this for practicing correct side kick foot position too: just once your feet are in the right form, turn the ankle in slightly and hold that instead for 5-10 secs.

These exercises should develop the muscles in your feet so you can hold correct technique for kicking an object. Also try slowing it down and inspect your technique in the mirror.

Hopefully this explanatins helpful and intelligible, if not I'll try to locate some piccys on the net. :)

7. ahkyte

ahkyte Tang Sou Dao

Nope that makes perfect sense to me, and as an added bonus I can do it whilst watching TV :).... Cheers

8. ahkyte

ahkyte Tang Sou Dao

We do do a slow movement version of our front kick at the moment... But thats in lesson... Never thought about trying it with out the actual kick... Interestingly though last night I did a little relaxed session with the kick bag, and each kick came out correct with the ball of my foot.... Training tonight so I'll try the chilled out approach when sparring.. :)

9. inbuninbu

inbuninbu "Train hard, fight easy"

TV comment

Lol that's funny... you can do lots of stretchs in front of the telly, actually! ;) Glad to be of help.