From of the KICK/WAKO Nationals 2008

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Ninja01, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Ninja01

Ninja01 Becky

Did anyone attend the KICK/WAKO Nationals 2008 this past weekend, in Chicago?

I just got home a few hours ago.

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I went there to watch my friend Nicco compete in Point Fighting.

3. Ninja01

Ninja01 Becky

Awesome. I don't think the place was very organized...they said the fighting would start at 9am both days and it didn't end up starting untill like 1 in the afternoon. I'm sure I saw you there without even realizing it.

4. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Ya, I probably saw you. What did you compete in?

Btw, I was the blonde (bleached) hair waring a Double Tap fight shirt.

I bought some awesome Thai trunks there.

5. Ninja01

Ninja01 Becky

I was suppose to compete in k1, but the girl I was suppose to fight never showed up so they bumped me to full contact.

I'd be the one with my knee up. I bought a pair of red pants there for the fight, and the hoody. The other girl in this photo is Kalyn, she's wearing my red pants. This is just before her fight on sunday.
    [​IMG]

6. liero

liero Valued Member

Were you fighting bare knuckle full contact there ninja?

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I saw you! =)

Ah, that's cool, I pretty much saw you the entire time, but didn't know it was you.

8. Ninja01

Ninja01 Becky

Liero, no Kalyn and I were just doing light sparring before her fight to warm up.

Korpy, wow, thats awesome. So how did your friend do by the way?

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Eh, he did ok. He was a young kid, that I'm like a bigger brother too. He is a white belt in Karate, and fought against a green belt in semi contact. He lost, but it was his first ever tournament.

Hopefully I can compete next year. Injuries plagued me a bit this summer.

I gotta say hi next time. Maybe spar you. :D

10. Ninja01

Ninja01 Becky

I see, well thats cool.

Yeah we should spar, too bad we didn't realise this sooner. No one else from MAP was there? I'm kind of surprised.

11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I know. It was a big tourney, so I'm surprised that no other MAPPers were there. What other tournaments are you gonna fight in this year in Illinois?

12. Gallemore

Gallemore New Member

I saw you gals alot. Even at the pizza place we ate at before we left. I was the really big guy with Team Doyle.

13. Gallemore

Gallemore New Member

I wasnt to impressed with the tourny at all. Poorly organized, IL's MMA rules suck, crappy cage, few opponents, and there were a couple outcomes to fights that I thought seemed to be influenced by a coach. By the time I got to fight I didnt even want to be there anymore.

14. Ninja01

Ninja01 Becky

Korpy, I won't be fighting in any other tournys in Illinois. I live in Ohio. I might compete in Dayton in November(in k1), and possibly at the Arnold Classic next year. Aside from that, its what my schedule permits.

Gallemore, the pizza place near the hotel? I got jipped out of that one because my flight was in a few hours. But Kalyn went so you saw her. :p

Yeah the place was so unorganized. Mark(my instructor, who you probebly saw)said he talked to a few other guys who said they weren't coming back.

15. Gallemore

Gallemore New Member

Yeah it was the one near the hotel. You missed out. Pretty good pizza. And it was Kalyn that I saw there. Im sure I saw both of you around the hotel though. There werent nearly as many competitors as I thought there would be.

16. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I'm thinking about going to 2009 Arnold Classic for San Shou competition.

17. Gallemore

Gallemore New Member

Dunno anything about it.. I will have to ask Mick if we have anyone going. I need to do some KB to improve my hands and head movement.

18. Ninja01

Ninja01 Becky

I'm better with my legs, because of Taekwondo, so I try to improve my hands aswell.

19. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Hey Ninja01, you said you were suppose to fight K-1 Rules, so how did you feel about fighting in FCR insted? Were you ready for it? And did you have to change your gameplan?

20. Ninja01

Ninja01 Becky

Actually it wasn't to bad. When I found out I was gonna have to do full contact rules instead of k1 I was worried I'd throw low kicks and knees, but once I was in the ring I kind of reverted back to my TKD in a way, but with my hands aswell.

However, I was really disappointed in my performance over all. When I look back I know what I should have done, but didn't. The girl I fought came up to me twice and complimented me on my skills, and asked if I was a balck belt in something, so that was cool, but it doesn't change how you feel, lol.

By the way, the WACO website has pictures up of some of the fights.

Kick WACO Nationals 2008 photos