Frodocious's Fabulous Female Fitness Frenzy

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Frodocious, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

01/03/19
    Hamstring is still grumbly. I may need to go back for more physio, I'm working round it (or ignoring it)

24/02/19

Upper body bench session

27/02/19

Upper body OHP session

Both these sessions are using a 5/3/1 based template

28/02/19

0.5hr private riding lesson. I've started having lessons again after a 30 year break! I don't remember it being this much like hard work! My balance and stability need working on, but on the whole I'm not to upset with where I'm at skill wise. :)

axelb likes this.
  2. Frodocious

07/05/19

Hamstring is gradually healing. I am easing back into lower body strength work and upping the cardio a bit. I have to be careful with walking or running too far, as this is what seem to set it off again. I'm currently doing 2 upper body and 1 lower body strength sessions a week, along with some cycling and easy, slow jogging. I've also been doing a bouldering course on Friday evenings.

Fish Of Doom and axelb like this.
  3. Frodocious

Random update time...

Currently rethinking my training plan as I want to go bouldering more frequently. My stupid shoulders won't handle that as well as a lot of upper body stuff, so I'm going to plan a new routine this weekend. I'll probably drop some of the upper body pressing stuff and/or substitute other exercises e.g. landmine presses instead of OHPs. My fingers are currently suffering from ripped calluses after a boulder session last weekend. Obviously these will toughen up as I do more, but at the moment 'OUCH'!

axelb and Travess like this.
  4. Frodocious

OK, I need to get much better at updating this log...

So here goes...

Saturday 13/07/19

Got up to do my bike interval session (on my turbo trainer), but my neighbour was burning stuff in his back garden and the smoke was blowing into my shed. Decided to give it a miss, as I didn't want to be breathing in all that smoke.

Wimped out on my evening run as I just didn't have the energy. Did a 2.5 mile walk though, so not a dead loss.

Sunday 14/07/19

AM cycle interval session - 30 mins

Warm up

40 secs hard / 20 secs recovery x7

5 mins recovery

40 secs hard / 20 secs recovery x6

Cool down

Barbell complex
    Back squat x5
    Deadlift x 5
    Bent over row x 5
    Hang power clean x 5
    Push press x5
    Back Squat x5

Later on I moved the lawn. As we only have smallish grassed area so I bought a manual lawnmower, so this counts as a workout!

PM
    Bouldering - 1hr 45 mins

Currently ignoring my hernia and hoping the exercise doesn't make it worse, but if it does, I might push for surgery as I really don't want to give up the sports I enjoy.

axelb likes this.
  5. Frodocious

Restarting this log, so before I post workouts I'll update on my general training plan which is much more flexibly than it use to be.

Health update. I'm perimenopausal and on HRT (which is a godsend). I was suffering horrifically from a variety of symptoms - heart palpatations, racing heartbeat, hot flushes, night sweats, dizzy spells, headaches, massive anxiety, exhaustion to name a few. The HRT has reduced or stopped most of these. I still feel tired all the time and the anxiety is lurking in the background ready to kick off whenever I get stressed, even about little things. Fortunately, I have beta blockers that I can take whenever I feel things getting out of hand. I've also recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure, possibly due to aging but also due to life stresses.

Training wise, I'm getting back into more regular training after a break of dabbling. My dad died a month or so back and we'd been dealing with his advancing dementia over the last year or so and so my training was as and when I could fit stuff in.

My current weights programme is using the Stronger By Science programme bundle and running their low frequency, 6 day set up. I'm doing an upper/lower split mixing their strength routine for the main lifts and their hypertrophy routine for auxillary lifts with some added assistance work for core and smaller muscle groups. Although this is a 6 day a week progression, I'm adding in days between lifting for cardio. I'm doing the occasional cycle session and for running I'm using the Jack Daniels Running Formula based on pace for each workout (my Garmin Fenix is brilliant for allowing me to programme runs easily). I'm also horse riding once or twice a week. I'm not bouldering at the moment as I have Golfers Elbows and have to be really careful training round these.

Martial arts wise, I'm not doing anything consistently at the moment. I'm dabbling in mounted combat, but this is difficult as I don't have a horse! To deal with this, I'm practicing techniques on the ground, such as some polearm stuff and archery with my horse bow.

I'll try to update this log regularly now I'm back on MAP!

Mitch, Grond, axelb and 1 other person like this.
  6. Frodocious

25 Mar 23

AM workout
    Upper Body Weights Session
    Bench Press
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Side Neck Strengthening
    Lateral Raise
    Deadbugs

PM Workout
    Running Daniels Running Formula
    White Week 5-8 session 2b - 30 mins easy pace

Run 3 mins
    Walk 3 mins

Run 3 mins
    Walk 2 mins
    x3

Run 3 mins
    Walk 1 min

Run 2 mins
    Walk 3 mins cool down

All runs done at 11-15 min mile pace.

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Sorry to hear about your Dad currently dealing with my grandad going through advanced Dementia I know how hard this can be on the family.

Good to see you back and logging :)

Frodocious likes this.
  8. Frodocious

Thank you. It was a stressful time. I'm just starting to get my life back to some level of normal again. I did try to keep things as normal as possible throughout, but it didn't always work very well. Sorry to hear about your grandad. If you need any help or advice or just a moan, drop me a message.

26 Mar 23

30 min riding lesson.
    Worked on light seat. This is were you stand up in the stirrups, it helps with taking the pressure off the horse's back but also by absorbing the movement of the horse with you knees, it makes you more stable and therefore it's easier to target and shoot a bow or strike with a weapon.

Lower Body Weights Session
    Squat
    Split Squat
    Face Pull
    Glute Bridge

Had planned on a run too, but my legs decided that wouldn't be a good idea (plus I got distracted by the boat race)! I am trying to be good about listening to my body!

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

With you in the high blood pressure club!

Mine seems genetic as it was something my mum had for years and more regular exercise and better diet didn't seem to change it for me. Meds have helped though.

Frodocious likes this.
  10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

On the horse riding thing, there is a whole line of exercise machines that simulate it, they tend to be a little expensive but relatively cheap compared to a lot of devices ($500-$700). In fact actual stationary gymnastic horses run 2-3x the cost.

[​IMG]

INTSUPERMAI Horse Riding Abdominal Exercise Machine 110V Electric Abdominal Fitness Exercise Machine with Bluetooth Music Function Safety Switch for Horse Riding Simulation and Abdominal Exercises https://a.co/d/4iZJOon

TECHTONGDA Electric Horse Riding Abdominal Exercise Machine Abdominal Fitness Exercise Machine Fitness Equipment with Safety Switch and Adjustable Handle for Horse Riding and Abdominal Exercises 110V https://a.co/d/eFNwbGj

Frodocious likes this.
  11. Frodocious

Oh dear! I did not need to know that!

Added to wants list...

I think mine is probably genetic too. My dad had high BP, his sister also has it, as does her daughter.

There's not much I can do other than try medication and see if the reduction in stress now I'm not looking after my dad helps.

27 Mar 23

Upper body weights
    OHP
    Single leg deadlift
    Front neck raises
    Cable crunch

I'll start logging more details once I get back into the swing of things round here.

axelb and Nachi like this.
  12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Sorry to hear of your difficult times, I hope everything's getting back onto a more even keel now.

On another note, if your lower body weights session involves a face pull you've got some pretty weird anatomy :D

Great to have you back :)

Frodocious likes this.
  13. Frodocious

Greetings Mr Mitch! Hope all is good with you?

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on the face pull.

My current programme is a bit of a Mish mash.

I base the description on the main lift or lifts of the day. However, because I'm not training every day, I add in some accessory work as well, often an upper body exercise at a lighter weight to complement a lower body main lift and vice versa.

28 Mar 23

30 minute stationary bike.
    I've not been on the bike for a while so I just concentrated on getting my heart rate and cadence up.

Mitch and Nachi like this.
  14. Frodocious

29 Mar 23

Running

3 mins run
    3 mins walk
    1 min run
    30 secs walk
    3 mins cool down
    All runs done at 11-15 min mile pace

15. Frodocious

30 Mar 23

Lower bodyish (for Mitch) session :D
    Deadlift
    Lat pulldown
    Glute hams raises
    Chest supported dumbbell rows.

Mitch likes this.
  16. Frodocious

31 Mar 23

1 hour riding lesson.
    Had small, crazy pony. Fell off twice. She has a sneaky habit of stopping and putting her head down and, because she only has a short neck, there's nowhere to go but straight over the top to the floor. Thankfully, my rolling skills come in handy for this and I rolled and was straight back on to my feet.

Apart from that bit of excitement, we did some half seat, some no stirrup work, some flying changes and finished with some pole work and low jumps.

Upper Body Weights Session.
    Close grip bench press
    Incline bench press
    Rear delt raises
    Deadbugs.

Mitch and Nachi like this.
  17. Frodocious

01 Apr 23

Lower Body Weights Session
    Front Squat
    RLD
    Seated Row
    Deadbugs

Run
    3 min run
    3 min walk

2 min run
    1 min walk
    x7

3 min cool down walk

Jaydub likes this.
  18. Frodocious

02 Apr 23

Upper Body Weights
    Bench press
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Side Neck Raise
    Lateral Raise

Riding Lesson - 30 mins
    Did some lateral work. Leg yields into and out of circles

Stationary Bike
    30 mins, upped the resistance from last session

Eating
    Went out for a lovely posh steak dinner.

Digesting
    Lots of this to do now! :D

Jaydub likes this.
  19. Frodocious

05 Apr 23

Lower Body Session
    Squat 4x2, 1x5

Super set
    Split Squat 3x9, 1x11
    Face Pull 4x10
    Hip Thrust 4x10

Nachi and Jaydub like this.
  20. Frodocious

06 Apr 23

Super set
    OHP 4x2, 1x5
    Front neck harness 3x10

Superset
    Kneeling cable crunches 4x10
    Single leg deadlift 4x10

My current job is lab based and on average (including 0.5 mile walk to and from work) I walk between 4 and 6 miles a day on top of proper exercise sessions

Mitch, Jaydub and Nachi like this.