Froch V Groves II

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Simon, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Well the fight is happening tomorrow, so what are your final predictions?

Who wins, how and in what round?

I have Froch down as the winner.

There is something about him this time. The eye of the tiger as it were that just wasn't there last time and despite Groves still talking the talk I don't think he has the same spark.

There is just something missing when I see him next to Froch. Something behind the eyes that gives him away and I think Froch sees it too.

I think Froch to win by KO in round 6, but possibly as late as round 9.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I saw him in the CoOp the other day. He lives round the corner from me.

Mitch

3. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I am going to say that Froch catches him and gets the KO, Groves IMO will come into the fight to cocky and confident, and that will be his mistake.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm going to the pub to watch. Not drinking though as I can't be bothered. I only drink when girls are drinking so that we lower each others standards. Now that I have a girlfriend who's pretty when I'm sober there's no point in drinking.

I'm getting cola or tea.

5. Saved_in_Blood

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If Groves goes in there too cocky, he gets knocked out. If he goes in there and focuses on outboxing Froch, he gets the win.

7. Simon

I think you're probably right.

For Groves to win he needs to ignore the "I'll finish it in 3" approach, dismantle Froch bit by bit and go for the points win.

I am sticking though to my original prediction of Froch to win by KO in round 6.

8. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Very sound thinking.

9. Saved_in_Blood

Groves is going to have to pace himself if it's indeed true that he starts to run out of gas later in the fight. Froch is much better conditioned than that and can go the full 12 (which is the only reason he has that win over Taylor) without an issue.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I want Groves to win by KO in round 3.

I think Froch will win by controversial split decision. Again.

11. Simon

Caution, result spoiler.

Told you. :D

12. holyheadjch

You did!

That fight reminded me why I don't watch boxing anymore. Sooooo boring. Thank you Carl Froch for putting me out of my misery. I'm going to go watch some IBJJF videos to wake myself up.

13. Simon

I didn't get to watch the fight and caught some commentary on the final few rounds on the radio.

I assume it didn't live up to the hype.

14. holyheadjch

It was as good as any boxing matches are nowadays. Very few exciting fighters left and Carl Froch aint one of them.

15. Simon

Just seen the knockdown on you tube.

What a shot. A nice slight change of body position to Groves right hand side, which opened him up for the rear cross.

16. Saved_in_Blood

Simon...we both did call that one. Groves appears to not be able to handle constant pressure. GREAT shot... Groves was out as soon as it landed.

17. holyheadjch

Where did you get that conclusion from? We got a Froch classic - getting outboxed then blam, knocks his opponent out. It says nothing about Groves' performance.

18. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I think you can stop using spoilers now. Anyone who even remotely cares about this fight would know the result by now. :D

19. Simon

Amazing where a loss can leave you.

Groves loses and is immediately overtaken by James Degale as the No. 1 mandatory challenger.

Groves will now probably need anther two good fights t get another title shot.

I'm not sure who DeGale will fight, as I'm sure Froch can choose his next opponent and it wont be DeGale.

20. Saved_in_Blood

In boxing it's a shame, but a loss knocks you pretty far back for a while. Groves was out to try to prove the first loss was a fluke, but ultimately the result would have been the same as last night. He was getting tired, Froch was slowly breaking him down and was going to get to him, even if the ref had not stopped it early.