Froch V Groves II

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Simon, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The contracts have been signed and the fight is on.

Carl Froch v George Groves.

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/ne...ill-go-face-to-face-again-in-a-bitter-rematch

Put yourself in the role of coach. You're training one of the boxers. How do you go about it.

Carl is known for dropping his hands, but I think it's too late for him to change that habit.

I don't think he can go Gung Ho against Groves, but needs to start like he did against Bute and try to get Groves beyond round 9, where he should then really apply the pressure.

I think Froch can get a second win, but really needs to think long and hard about his game plan.

2. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

His tactics for the first fight seem to be let Groves tire himself out by allowing him to punch Carl's breeze block head until he tires then unload on him.

I cant imagine hes gonna change that tactic tbh!

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

#1 in November - reference for the mercans

[​IMG]

4. Chubby

Chubby Valued Member

I'm looking forward to this fight but also a little sad it had to happen. I personally feel that the controversial stoppage robbed Froch as much as Groves. I do think Froch had turned it round and was finishing with an amazing comeback after such a brilliant fight by both boxers. Unfortunately we will never know. The early stoppage messed with a legacy as how many fights like that can Froch have left in him. Without that stoppage this could have been Froch vs Ward. However, I'm looking forward to Froch vs Groves II.

5. puma

puma Valued Member

In short, I would get Groves to work himself into a position on the outside of Froch jab. Get outside the line of his front foot and box from there. This would take away his right hand. As for Froch, well, he is what he is. Basically a caveman! He can only brawl, so I don't know really if he even needs a trainer because he can't box. I love him, a hell of a fighter, but terrible boxer. People say he boxed well against Bute, but I don't remember in the boxing manual that it suggest the defense to a good left hand is to run straight over it! He was a man possessed that night, but he took some shots off Bute that would hurt a normal human. Fortunately, we found out Bute is fragile. However, that fight, then straight on to the war with Kessler, must have damaged Froch. He was so up for those fights, and I think he thought he could walk through Groves. I think he thought it would be easy. It wasn't. This fight is very interesting indeed.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

His problem is that Froch wont be going into this fight with the kind of confidence he went into the last one with. He though Groves was going to be a pushover and he got schooled for all but 20 seconds of the fight.

I don't think the fight happens. I think Froch bottles it a few weeks out. Cries injury and retires.

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Don't think Froch will cut out but he is likely to get retired in this one

8. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

If I'm Groves I do what I did the first time, but I watch the video over and over and over and see what big shots landed. I know the stoppage IMO was premature. However, I saw a very subtle shift in the fight going into those later rounds and Froch was landing some here and there, but there were hurting punches. Now would Groves have finished the fight? Probably, but the gap was closing. It actually reminded me of Meldrick Taylor vs. Chavez Sr. 1. Taylor deserved that win, but I could see what was happening slowly as those punches were catching up and Taylor just had to much heart to simply box and move and win the easy UD.

Froch isn't going to change... he's to old now and been in to many fights to put his hands up more or anything else. The best thing Froch can do is watch Hatton vs. Tszyu and rough Groves up as much as possible. He is IMO stronger than Groves. Other than that... watch the first fight and look for the holes and bad habits.

9. puma

puma Valued Member

Is Froch finally wearing out though? All those punches he has taken, all those wars, it is amazing he is still going. It can't last forever. The question is, is this the fight where he just can't do it any more? And Groves, does he really feel he would have lasted the last fight, or is it in the back of his mind that he was actually hurt and it was just a matter of time before he was stopped? Has the fact that Froch took all his best shots and still came back at him affected Groves? Who knows? They all talk garbage, but what is really going through their heads? Groves originally turned the rematch down, stated the usual about "clauses". Does Froch really want this fight? He didn't seem to at first.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I don't like Froch. Something about him annoys the hell out of me. Hope Groves smashes him.

By the way, Simon, badass avatar!

11. Saved_in_Blood

Lol, you're just realizing that Froch is annoying? He is, but he racked up a good resume over his career.

12. Saved_in_Blood

Only brawl? He boxed Abrahams ears off, he can box he's just not a top notch pure boxer.

13. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Funny. I don't really know Froch, but he annoys me as well. I don't even know why. :confused:

14. holyheadjch

Groves outboxed Froch comprehensively, but got caught. That is always the risk when you are fighting a banger like Froch. Groves put Froch on his backside, so it's not really right to say that Froch 'took all his best shots' because his best shot left him on the canvas.

And Groves turned down a crap deal because he knew the IBF were due to rule and were likely to make the rematch mandatory. Froch doesn't want this fight - who would after the first fight so nearly went the other way?

15. Saved_in_Blood

Perhaps Froch feels after the first fight that he knows what little changes he can make and actually feels confident. Sometimes you see things that you didn't notice until afterward... even simple things can amount to a great deal. If Froch doesn't want the fight, it's obvious why... but the media and everyone else would slaughter him for ducking Groves after a close fight. A shame, I would have liked to have seen Froch fight someone just Julio fatboy jr and maybe KO him... he is the WORST possible child to fight in his fathers footsteps and has gotten all he wanted purely because of a name. I'm glad Sergio put a beating on him... I watched it over and over because I just liked to see chavez get punched in the face so much.

16. holyheadjch

Froch can't box. It's too late for him to learn.

It's a lose lose fight for Froch. Winning gains him very little, but losing ends his career.

17. Saved_in_Blood

Froch can box actually. He can't box like Groves. I didn't say Froch should box him I don't believe. I said that he needed to rough him up more in the rematch. As I said before, Froch boxed Abraham's ears off, so he is able to box and as many times as I've picked him to lose, he can box better than he is given credit for.

18. puma

puma Valued Member

It's amazing he boxed his ears off considering Abraham's gloves are permanently glued to them! Seriously, Abraham did nothing in that fight. Beating him at supermiddle isn't a big deal. Which top super-middle wouldn't have out-boxed him that night? It was like fighting a heavy bag. I love Froch, but he is slow, not very good on his feet, has no defense at all, shows hardly any angles or anything like that. But his bravery is outstanding. How he has beaten some of the fighters he has I don't know. Just sheer willpower and guts. You'd certainly want him on your side though if it all went off in the boozer!

As I said before, he took all Groves had the first time, whether he can do it again, I don't know. Whatever people think of the result, Groves has to improve on the last fight because Froch was coming on strong, and at the end of the day, Froch was victorious.

19. puma

puma Valued Member

Froch took it, went down, got back up and won. He had his hand raised at the end while Groves was being attacked by the ref by being put in a headlock! Groves best shot may have put Froch down, but in the end he couldn't keep him off him. This to me is taking his best shots if Froch got knocked down but still won.

I've heard the original offer would have made Groves more that what he is getting now.

20. holyheadjch

The IBF didn't think it was a genuine win, hence the mandated rematch.