[Freestyle/Sporting MA] Wrestling

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Ranzan, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

I never did this through high school and now doing this kinda like a side project with jui jitsu, muay thai and boxing and i am having more trouble with this crap than any other combat sport. Its mostly the revealing my back to people and low stance that the coach is trying to get me in, I don't know if its just the way he does it or wrestling altogether but he wont let me put my legs past shoulder width and tells me they have to stay even its all just messin with my head lol, any suggestions?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yeh, when I first started just over a year ago it was a huge "culture clash". I kept pinning myself because I'm so used to pulling a guard, certain moves that are not allowed etc.

Stance wise (proper experts here would correct me)..... I was told to keep width apart and also even (maybe 1 foot a little forward) neck/head up, chest out hands forward and keep a low stance.
    This is all in aid of a defensive stance as well as giving as little as possible to the opponent. Apparently (like me) keeping in a boxing stance, your upright so vunerable for a shoot, 1 leg forward is an invite for single leg and takes an extra second to do a sprawl, while the even spaced stance its a lot quicker to execute.

Since we dont have to worry about strikes and submissions, its a different mindset. But it doesnt mean there arent any moves that wont hurt :D
    (the split legged, arm twist, quarter nelson pin still makes me wince)