[Freestyle/Sporting MA] Training to fight

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by STASH, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Its not ranking I'm concerned about. In my experience a lot of BB's couldn't fight their way out of a paperbag.

I'm talking about real/proper experience of combat (not sparring), knowledge (not a variety of techniques). On of the things I despise is the amount of 'technique collectors' out there just now, who attend random seminars and then think they know a style/technique/move.

That sort of training is it that you do? Do you practice drills (not forms, I'm talking about drilling a technique against a live, resisting opponent).

Col

2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Here is a question

How much real training do you do then?

Door work is fairly real but often you have 2 other 19 stone, 30 year olds to back you up and you are dealing with drunk 17 year olds.

I have done some door work before and it is not real training as most of the time they dont want to fight you and wont hit you because you are a doorman.

What are you defining by REAL training - the work training implies it is training for a real event?

Over to you!!!!

SONSHU

3. Freeform

Where'd this idea that my being a doorman was some kind of training. I certainly never claimed that, its something I do at the weekend to earn money. I am not 30, I am not 19st and I certainly do not beat up on children. All I can say is that you must have worked some pretty cushy doors.

If you have to get physical as a doorman then you've pretty much ballsed it up.

Real training is where you presure test all of the techniques that you would use in a real fight against opponents who are trying to do the same to you.

I've had the priviledge to train with some of the best guys around for this type of training. We are not thugs, which is the impression that I'm getting from some people on this thread, that all they want to do is scrap for fun, personally i'm a little more technical than that ;)

As to how much do I do, well the answer to that is not enough! I've gotten soft!

Colin

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

about marines combat i hav one of freind u know wat he says about unarmed combat he says they hav like day in day out only once in a year may be twice that's it... they need their weapons :D

-TkdWarrior-

5. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

I thought that u can do a ma in the marines as a hobby. IF (big if) i manage 2 get in I wont to do ju jitsu as a hobby and weight training. I realy hope that I will be able to do Ju jitsu as a hobby. TDK perhaps u could tell me if I d be able to to a MA as a hobby.

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

If you want hand to hand training move to England and go for the special forces over here.

7. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

i m in UK now (Wales). Anyways I HAVE 2 know if I will be able to do Ju Jitsu IF I get into marines. to get into special forces you have to have a good miltary background. Considering the fact that I m only 17 it would be a bit hard to get in the SAS would nt it. Most troops apply for the SAS at the age of 26.

8. STASH

STASH New Member

Oh boy...ok Freeform, theres a lot of things I dont like to share about my personal experience but I guess I'll have to get over it sooner or later, might as well start now.

The first time I was ever attacked was when I was 12 years old, (a real attack, 3 guys i've never seen before, luckily my older friend was with me and we managed to fend them off). I live in a pretty rough neighbourhood where theres a lot of racial issues. For the past few years, I've gotten into many, many real combat situations (random attacks, pre-arranged 1 on 1 fights, group vs group fights). Dont worry about my own personal experience, I know what its like to be attacked walking home at night. I dont live to fight, I know when its time to fight, talk or run.

I'm probably not the best teacher but I'm working in it, I have a lot of leadership qualities and I'm dedicated to this program. I have to emphasize that I'm an unfinished product, every day I with I learn something new from the other members and I'm constantly changing my style.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2002
  9. Jim

Jim New Member

Matt, I think you should've added your comment as a new post instead of in this column. You may not get many responses to it here.

10. Freeform

I've had the unpleasant experience of being in a few scraps myself but thats not really what I was getting at.

I'm worried about the 'technique collectors' out there who attend a few seminars and then think they know it all, and then pass on flawed knowledge to others, who then think they know the crack... so forth and so on.

You still haven't answered my question.

11. STASH

STASH New Member

Hmmm, yea I see what your getting at. Well, the truth is that we're constantly finding flaws, thats why we integrate so many styles. I'm not going to tell any of the members: "this is the way to do it", you come and you practice what you need.

12. Freeform

Still waitning for an answer on the drills practiced. By the way, show me a martial technique that you can't pick a flaw in!

13. STASH

STASH New Member

I dont understand what it is you want). I answered your experience question, your qualifications question and I outlined my program in earlier posts.

Maybe you want to know HOW we practice our techniques? When we a new member who wants to learn a technique we go over it with him until he feels comfortable then we get an attacker (someone more experienced and that knows how to control himself ), we tell the attacker what areas to focus attacking on so that the new guy gets a chance to try out the techniques.

On fridays however, anything can happen. We dont tell anyone what areas to focus on, we dont tell him what to work on, its just putting everything you learned to use.

14. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

is there any money involved
    Or do U fight for free?????

15. STASH

STASH New Member

Lol, once i bet my buddy $10 that I could beat him, but that was only one incident. There is no money involved really.

16. touchstone_snap

touchstone_snap New Member

Re: friendly sparring sessions...

I think u could b onto a good thing in your training...

However I do have a couple of points that I would like share.

I have a few friends who have studied all sorts of martial arts as well as boxing and some wrestling...

We have all had spars at one time or another using different formats sometimes strictly boxing sometimes wrestling and even all in...

I love playing the ref...:) and this is one place I think u need someone with experience ... especially when people can b hurt badly very quickly if they r out gunned and not up to scratch with there defence... which is my biggest sticky point in learning how to fight...

I think many people want to spar too soon without learning how to defend themselve's adaquately...

I know a friend who after 10 fights in the ring was still learning how to protect himself while fighting... the fact that he has lots of natural talent did'nt stop him from getting beaten by a fighter with more ring savy...

I think having a serious training session is good for bringing out the best in people ... what I hate to see is under prepared fighters taking a beating because they don't know any better...

Giving people some tools before they fight I think is the best thing for building confidence and easing there way into the hell ground...

Its good to b tough and smart...:)

Have a good training...

17. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmmm....don't know how I missed this thread but here are my replies....but first of all I m saying this just like it feels to me, please don't take any offence from my post.

Stash I feel that u r in a really terrible situation, I think ur mistake is that u even take freshers in martial arts. I think u should try taking only experienced students in your class, it may not be 100 % effective but it's better than leaving ur club open to any bozo out there who wants to break a few bones. Personally I think a fresher in martial arts should start with tradiotional training..... [don't take this too seriously, I may be wrong]

And lastly once u get out of this situation, proclaim urself leader, it may be necesarry to instill some fear into them......I mean when u say something they should not argue with u or anything......don't know the right words...but keep them under control.

Good luck,

|Cain|

18. STASH

STASH New Member

We had to stop our NHB (no holds barred) nights because of the weather, too cold to train outdoors. Right now I'm letting my shoulder heal but I'm back at ICS and I'm thinking about going over to Shah Franco's (I've been wanting to check out Shah Franco's for ages, if anyone knows anything about it, pls fill me in).

Every sunday afternoon I get together with two of my really good friends (one is a boxer and has started taking ju-jitsu, the other does muay thai) and we do what we used to do, he has a mat, rolling around on it is so much easier on the body then the hard ground, lol. Unfortunetly I cant take part most of the time which really ****es me off, but its all for the best I suppose.

I dont think we'll be starting up our old program again, too many problems and stress for me, makes me feel like some kind of overseer or something, lol.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2002