[Freestyle/Sporting MA] The Blitz.

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Andy Murray, Oct 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Anyone want to explain or discuss 'the blitz' as a tournament technique?

2. STASH

STASH New Member

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by blitz. When we tell someone to "blitz" it just means to go at your opponent like a bat out of hell. Basically to go into a rage.

3. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Sounds Like a stradagy for a takedown
    Or Maybe U are ride short time
    And Your couch wants 1 last flury

4. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Up until starting learning and then teaching Kickboxing, I was under the impression that a 'Blitz' was simply a flurry of offensive moves designed to cover ground (usually advancing in a direct route) whilst forcing your oponent backwards.

That was of course until I spotted an area on the Blue Belt syllabus we run called "The Blitz".

Now, this could be simply an affectionate term given to the set of moves under the syllabus from the previous instructor but it definatley sells itself as "The Blitz".

I cannot recall the exact combination from memory and once I get a chance I will post the exact text to this thread but it consists of something like:

Lead BackFist to the Head
    Rear Cross to the Body up into a Rear Ridge Hand to the Head

Just food for thought :D

5. stump

stump Supersub

Basically the blitz is the term used for a semi contact attack. The most important part of which is the footwork. It's normally done as a backfist followed by a cross step and then a reverse punch. The idea is to cover the maximum distance as quickly as possible to score a point.

The majority of semi contact fighters seem to use it. It can be extremly fast, but I've never seen anyone put any real power behind it, which makes it perfect for semi contact kickboxing.

The best defence against it is a side kick.

6. vinceb

vinceb New Member

The blitz is the mark of the semi contact fighter. The concept says if you throw a stone at someone there's a reasonable chance he'll dodge it. If you throw a handful, you've got a reasonable chance of one getting through.

From a UK perspective the guy credited with introducing the technique was a US fighter called Kevin Brewerton (The Jedi). Not sure about the US.

There's no reason for a blitz to lack power. The idea is to inject your body behind the technique. A good demonstration of technique wil show the fighter behind his technique. Almost like a sprinter coming out of the starting blocks.

There is no set definition of technique within a blitz. It is a concept or fighting strategy. You will draw together a number of techniques.

Footwork is indeed key, as is committed attack. No technique should be a half hearted flap at the opponent. I think Alfie Lewis' book on Freestyle includes some coverage on technique as well.

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Anyone who has fenced will recognise the blitz as a "Fleche" (Arrow).

8. booj

booj New Member

Indeed, the legendary Alfie Lewis's book does explain the blitz technique in detail. As has been mentioned, the footwork is the key, being like a sprinters start, surging forward and 'blitzing' the oponent with a barrage of hand techniques. although many traditional exponents of the points game are not keen on the blitz due to the way the body can become almost horizontal to the floor, many techniques seen on the mat today have derived from this. The classic defence as well as the side kick is to block the lead backfist and counter underneath with a swift rabbit punch to the body..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.