[Freestyle/Sporting MA] Sporting Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by CyCloNe, Jun 3, 2002.

1. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Sooooo...

Just how many competitors are out there, come on dont be shy or even afraid of the 'traditionalists' that shun your art :D

If we can generate enough interest, we should be able to justify having our own section on this site so we can hide and have somewhere to call home.

Seriously though, how many people DO compete in tourneys? What are the best arts that translate into points scoring etc. A lot of clubs do offer the option to enter the competitions but why is the uptake generally so low?

Is it because people fear the actual aplication of the skills?

Is it that they dont want to appear as though they have something to prove?

Is it that its not the reason they study the arts?

Surely there is a lot to debate here.

Thoughts???

2. waya

waya Valued Member

I sometimes compete, but I find competition to generally be a different type of application and training than such things as self defense or combative training which is the majority of what I do. If I were to use the same technique that is reflex for me in a tournament I would not only be disqualified, but likely arrested. Not only that but I would have to deal with unintentionally causing bodily harm to another person that was unnecessary and could have been prevented had I not entered in the first place.
    I think that is why in many arts competition percentages are so low, the instructor knows most people can do one or the other, but not both.

Rob

3. Kat

Kat Valued Member

I was wondering how about a Mixed Martial Art thread for the people who are now competeing in Comps like vale tudo/shooto etc?
    Yes I recently went through a local prancase comp,it was good value and great fun!
    I will be training to enter more in the future.

I think the intensity and vibe of these comps is great for staying neutral under pressure.Plus a zone to trully express your self against other styles,it doesn't rally matter if you lose or get disqualified.

Even if your stlye requires illegal softening strikes/locks it is still good to see if how you can do with the restaints you are given.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2002
  4. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Good points waya, not something I'd actually considered.

I guess that due to the fact I am predominantly from a Taekwondo background, the sporting side of the arts is already second nature to me.

Something Im not sure of though is your comment about instructors not thinking their students are capable of both.

In my experience, its not usually the instructors that decide who enter the contests, its usually the fighters. I understand of course that its sometimes the instructor that would give the final nod saying "You will be fine" etc, but Ive never seen anyone turn around and point out they were unsuitable due to their training, but again, this is probably down to the style more than anything.

I know that Taekwondo, most forms of Karate and Lau Gar translate well into sports fighting, but what other styles?

..and of course on the flipside, which styles most definitely do not translate.

To Kat:

It sounds like a thread based on the MMA would not only be well suited to the freestyle forum, but would probably be well received. If you'll excuse the term, knock yourself out :D

Last edited: Jun 4, 2002
  5. waya

waya Valued Member

It's mainly judged by specific systems. For instance, a Bujinkan student or Hapkido student would not do well in a tournament, because 99% of those arts are filled with illegal techniques. The same applies to alot of Japanese based arts that I have been exposed to, which is why the instructors offer it, but don't push competition and don't require it for everyone. Training for a real time fight makes you react instinctively with techniques that are meant to immediately disable an opponent, which in a tournament will likely land you with a disqualification, medical bills, and legal issues. In TKD (I also study a WTF based system that is combative) most of the art unfortunately has been turned to pure sport and barely any self defense, which is fine for those specifically into sport fighting. I personally believe that sport, traditional, and combative are three seperate systems within their respective arts.

Rob

6. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Ok, so we are starting to identify which arts are unsuitable for the sporting element of the MA, what about those that do translate well?

7. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Gentlemen,
    I've competed in kata and kumite
    and I've competed against men in both.
    I'm curious does anyone compete in kata
    or is that not classified as sporting?

8. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Although kata is not something I would compete in, its definately classed as sporting.

In my opinion, anything that you 'compete' in should fit well in this forum.

Perhaps a thread on Kata?

9. waya

waya Valued Member

I agree, any type of cometition is something I classify as sporting. Personally I don't like Kata, and tend to forget them alot, so you won't see me competing in them LOL.

Rob

10. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

So, you guys are Battle Boys, huh?
    Nothing wrong with that. I've learned a lot of good techniques from a friend whose main focus is strictly fighting.

11. waya

waya Valued Member

I worked as a private protection agent from age 18 until recently. Got involved in private security and found my way into alot of different types of accounts and jobs, eventually leading to Domestic Violence, etc. That changed my training alot. Once in a while I still look into competition, but generally I avoid it because it's not how I train anymore.

Rob

12. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Sounds like an interesting life you lead there waya m8 :D

As for being a battle boy, thats a term I aint come across before lol, but it does have a catchy ring to it.

13. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

LOL! Battle Boy is a pet name I gave my friend whose main focus is fighting.

14. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Well regardless of its origin, its a catchy title, one I will actively start to promote throughout the UK :D

Congrats, you will be known as the founder of the term 'Battle Boy' LOL!

15. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

The very first time I used the name Battle Boy was when my friend and I were getting ready to do some sparring. I thought I would instigate a little bit and said "OK Battle Boy, Show me what you got." To make a long story short...
    Whew, he wore my butt out. LOL!

16. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

LOL!

Perhaps you should try calling him something else next time, perhaps 'Goofy' or 'Slowcoach', see what other reactions and but-wearing you can instigate. :D

17. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Back Fist.

Basic Technique for Freestyle Points tournament, shown here by Cooler.

Backfist Article.

18. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

I read most of the articles before I started posting, some superb examples in there :)

19. waya

waya Valued Member

BTW, Don't try that in a TKD tournament, the really get bent out of shape (a friend of mine found out the hard way LOL).

20. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

If you mean the Backfist Waya, I did!

I have two TAGB TKD -80kg Scottish Titles from 1993 to prove it.

Andy ;)