[Freestyle/Sporting MA] More Sport Vs "Street"

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by YODA, Nov 4, 2002.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

do you throw it from the hip, thought that generated lots power?

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Quote: Mike Flanagan

"You obviously think there's merit to both ways - gloves and no gloves. Presumably you think both have strengths/weaknesses?"

Yes I do think there are advantages to wearing/not wearing gloves.

Firstly punching with gloves on adds extra weight onto your arms, ok 16oz may not seem a lot but after numerous rounds of sparring it is.
    I find when sparring with 16oz'ers on my arms fatigue quicker than without gloves on. Therefore I feel that my arms are getting more of a workout. I also found that when my arms are fatigued with gloves on my backfist was pretty poor but at the same time I could still jab and cross with good power.

Gloves also allow you to spar at a higher more aggresive tempo than without gloves as you can hit that bit harder and still pull your punches as you have an inch of padding to feel the impact. Do this without gloves and you'll find that when you pull your punch you've already given your opponent a cut/bruise or sent him/her flat on their ass.

However I do agree that with gloves on you can punch above your technique as gloves are more forgiving on the joints. That is why on the heavy bag/focus mitts etc I tend to mix it up between gloves and bare hands.

3. Cain

Cain New Member

Not necessarily.....but u got kinda close to it pgm.......if u think u figured it out then pm me.

|Cain|