[Freestyle/Sporting MA] More Sport Vs "Street"

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by YODA, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Agreed. As a result, I'm wary of punching to the face, unless I have the luxury of carefully selecting a specific target. I don't like just sticking my fist straight out without knowing exactly what its going to hit. If I have to do that, I prefer to use a palm-heel.

Mike

2. khafra

khafra New Member

Anybody else ever notice how hard it is to disagree with Yoda? Anyway, a qualified yes, same as everyone else:
    It's easy to say "a boxer would disregard his rules in the street," but I think they'd get ingrained the same way light/no contact would for a "deadly art" person. I don't have any statistics to back this up, unfortunately, but I do have an unfortunately unreferenced anecdote about good boxer who ran across a wannabe street punk who could literally barely get his knife open, and still got killed because he tried to stay with marquis of queensbury rules.

3. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I know that there will be madmen boxers who would use thier training to enhance the dirty street fighting but I'm looking more at the more medicore boxers who will not be able to break thier programming when faced with a fight. They may start well but if it lasted any length of time they would instinctively "box" or try to force themselves not to do, reducing the flow of thier fight.

I still wouldn't teach a boxer to change his jab into an eye gouge. Wrong situation. You would more than likely break a finger or two on his face. You use the eye gouge if they have a hold of you, are sitting on your chest, or somewhere they aren't able to move much or aren't expecting you to be able to hit hard, then you poke him in the eyes and then use this distrction to nail him.
    Shihan John Ang's favourite example of this is a sumo wrestler. A sumo wrestler grabs you around the throat. What can you do? arms like legs, legs like tree trunks, a body that is muscle and fat weighing about 190 KGs, a neck like a leg of ham and he's trying to choke you to death. Poke him in the eyes, everyone has eyes and getting them poked hurts, tearing them out will likely leave him in a wailing mess on the floor.

You don't try to eye jab someone who is bouncing around like Bruce Lee. There are much easier targets to hit.

As long as the MA thinks outside the ring about his/her art/sport then they will likely be effective but if they only apply what learn inside thier head to the ring then that will be almost detrimental.

4. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Hi John

You obviously think there's merit to both ways - gloves and no gloves. Presumably you think both have strengths/weaknesses?

Mike

5. Cain

Cain New Member

Wat's the big deal about gloves???? :confused: I never wore a glove in my life when sparring....only bare-fisted, n never got injured....

|Cain|

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Sorry dude - that's utter nonesense!

Firstly - the eye "JAB" is a fast strike delivered at the same range & the same timing as a boxing jab. Done correctly there is less chance of injuing your hand than when using a fist.

Believe me - If a cometend grappler is sitting on your chest then it is HE who will have the opportunity to poke your eye. Poking ana eye from underneath a mounted position is plain dumb. try it on a decent grappler & see what reaction you get. My bet is on a eye poke of his own, a snapped elbow - or both.

7. YODA

In that case you either never sparred full contact or you consistently knock out your training partners (or you punch like a wuss :D)

8. Cain

Cain New Member

I punch like a wuss :D

Seriously I mean that we usually spar under these rules -

Full power allowed
    Only classical punch allowed to the torso , nowhere else
    kicks not allowed below the belt

c'mon man I think gloves is an overrated protection I hv never known of anyone with his knuckles injured.....

|Cain|

9. YODA

I don't REALLY have to say it - do I?

Sheesh :(

10. Cain

Cain New Member

Say it, would luv to read ur opinion......in case I am wrong....maybe I will learn something....after all I am just saying wat I know

|Cain|

11. YODA

Ok my opinion....

No punching to the head?

What is THAT all about? No wonder you don't need gloves.

Where do you think an attacker in the street is going to punch you? How can you hope to defend against it unless your sparring partners try to hit you with it?

Those "Classical punches to the torso" must be very over rated. If I used body punches full contact with no gloves I would break ribs on a regular basis - hell, my training budy (Cyclepath) broke someone's recently wearing 18oz gloves!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2002
  12. Cain

Cain New Member

Geez!!! u guys must hv a hulleva lotsa power anyways I see ur point.....but you must understand that I am not so experienced so bear with me please, by the way I was a little wrong in my earlier post.....yes I hv sparred with gloves before but they were kinda weird.....with just cotton covering the top of the fist, the only face punch that is allowed is the backfist.

So ok I must be wrong.....can't really argue on things I don't know about much I guess.....

|Cain|

Last edited: Dec 16, 2002
  13. YODA

It's all learning Cain :D

14. Cain

Cain New Member

Ya....I guess......that's the reason why I am on MAP :D

hey u got to 1000 posts already? :eek:

|Cain|

15. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<. If I pused body punches full contact with no gloves I would break ribs on a regular basis >
    this is truth...
    -TkdWarrior-

16. Cain

Cain New Member

I agree with that....wat I meant that I punch like a wuss and hv to improve :D

|Cain|

17. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

no if u don't hav any idea about distance, timing, precision then all ur power willl be lost...
    work on first three...u'll hav the fourth too...
    -TkdWarrior-

18. Cain

Cain New Member

ya....but actually my punch is fine but it's the way I am 'supposed' to throw my punch that it's weak......I will leave it to u to figure it out....

|Cain|

19. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<I will leave it to u to figure it out....>
    nah i m busy with those darn semester xams ....
    there's post by Tosh_spice where he tried to tell the difference b/w hitting ppl n hitting board...
    u'll get most of wat i said from his post...
    i m just lazy to find that post for u...
    -TkdWarrior-

20. YODA

I figured it out :D